“Extremely busy during the day, lovely for an outdoor event.”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Bowie, Maryland
“Extremely busy during the day, lovely for an outdoor event.”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I did not actually spend the night at the hotel just came in with a couple of colleagues to have lunch and visit this historic icon. The hotel is beautiful with a lot of character but I was distracted by the number of people and how busy it was. Just trying to get in and out the front drive to valet park is harrowing; there was gridlock with cars and people walking about and no strong control of the area by the staff. And then once inside there are children running everywhere and so many people as if you're at Disney. I expected more of the calm you find at five star resorts, which had always been my "perception" of the Del.

There was a wedding being set up on the back lawn with the reception on the beach during the time we were there. I could tell that it was going to be a very lovely event. I can see why people book events here and I think I will take another look and consider it myself in the future. I plan to visit again in the evening and see if the ambience is different.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for visiting! Weddings at The Del are truly magical - The Del is a lovely backdrop but the bride is the real attraction. We love hosting weddings - such a special moment in time for the bride and groom, their families and friends!

As most beach resorts do, we welcome many families to The Del, especially during the summer months... we're told there is simply no better vacation than a beach vacation, especially at the Hotel del Coronado. Yes, the summer is a busy time for us...things do, however, settle down a great deal in the evening time when most children are tucked in for the night...the perfect time for a glass of wine at ENO. Come back and check it out!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bonita, CA
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Our stay at the Del was probably a bit different than just coming for a vacation. We are local San Diegans and the hotel was the wedding venue for our son. We also booked 4 rooms all together. My review will be twofold: Hotel and the Wedding.

Hotel: The property is beautiful! There is none like it in San Diego. Our room was a Junior Suite Oceanfront and the view and the room was magical. It was in the Victorian building. This is the original building and this balcony was what you would imagine in the movies with the unobstructed ocean front view. My son and his groomsmen had an ocean view room but it was in the Cabana building so that is not in the original Victorian. They said it was a great room with an amazing view and they had a corner balcony. The other two rooms were the complimentary rooms when you book a wedding. One was a basic and the other was a Junior Suite both in the Victorian room so that was so convenient for the bride and her bridal party. Their rooms did not have a view but looking back, I should have requested at least a garden view and paid the difference instead of a view of the parking lot:) But, nevertheless, the rooms were something we were extremely happy with.

As for the valet, I have been to the Del on may occasions for the Spa or lunch/dinner or wedding planning and the valet is excellent in that aspect. Where the snafu occurred was when we checked in and as you can imagine, for a wedding of 250 guests, we had a lot of wedding "supplies" that about 4 vehicles had. They were neatly organized in clean bins and marked, however, the valet was less than accommodating with that. I wish they had just told us what was the proper protocol on where to unload the items that were going into a storage conference room. If they had told us, we would have gladly complied. Instead, they made us feel less than welcome and the bride was a bit stressed by this, and the head person shook his head and said: "You shouldn't be doing this here..." but did not give us another option. So, we continued to unload a couple of the valet guys assisted us and the rest we had our guys/gals carry in. We did our best to do it expediently so we can get our cars out of the way from the front of the hotel. It just made a very unpleasant start of a wedding weekend.

Check In: The check in was a different experience: welcoming, warm, and informational. They were top notch and it was the top notch service you would expect.

Retail: Restaurants, shops (including the yummy candy store), and the clothing stores were all great experiences with good food and friendly service.

Wedding Venue: The planning stages were all well done and went smoothly. Our coordinator was knowledgeable and always came back with an answer in a very timely manner. She always had time to either meet with me or communicate with me in person especially during the last few days closer to the wedding. The changing rooms (Hanover and Bayside) for the Bride and Groom were large and accommodated the wedding party, breakfast, hair stylists and make up stylists that we hired. The Lawn for the Wedding? The pictures say it all. That is where the ceremony was. It was an 11 a.m. wedding and the lawn set up we requested was 7 a.m. and that went off without a hitch. The view for the wedding is unparalled anywhere in SD with a direct ocean front view. The set up for the water, lemonade was perfect and they put up umbrellas in certain areas like we requested since it was sunny. The appetizers for the "cocktail hour" was hot, fresh, and the servers were very good.

Reception Set Up: Right after the appetizers, we moved to the Grand Ballroom. It has a panoramic ocean view. The stressful and negative experience we had was early morning of the wedding preparing the ballroom. We requested for a 7 a.m. set up (since we needed to be at pictures and etc by 9:30-10:00 a.m.) and when we got there past past 7 a.m., the room was still dirty from the event the night before. I don't know where the miscommunication occurred. We had about 10 people to turn the ballroom around--linen, chair covers, sashes on the chair, and centerpieces. For 29 tables and 290 chairs, that is a long process. It was 8 a.m. and nothing was really being done except for one guy who was putting the dance floor together by himself but no cleaning was going on. So we personally started pulling dirty linen from the tables and started moving tables to where they belonged and picking up the spilled food from the night before that was on the carpet. At this point, I voiced my concerns to the captain and she said she will convey the message to the catering department. Another worker came to help arrange the tables but they were rude and were not accommodating. I know they are only given directions from the catering department but I feel that customer service should be taught to ALL the workers that will interface with the customers. The captain stated she would give the message to the conference/catering department so I did let her know how unhappy I was and that I needed action. We continued to work getting chair covers on and sashes, etc, and I was panicking inside because the room was still not vacuumed and dirty linen everywhere. My coordinator came past 9 a.m. and it was then that she got the team to go into action but all of my friends continued to put linen on the table even though they told us they would do it. Once our catering coordinator was there, she directed the workers on what to do. I felt much better then. We did not have much time to turn the room around to look elegant and beautiful like the bride wanted. One has their wedding at Hotel Del because they feel that everything will be set and that the customer experience will be first rate. The set up crews/workers need help in being taught customer service--they were curt, not very understanding of the urgency, and did not want to go the extra mile. After the wedding, since there were workers with their little carts driving around, we asked if they could give us a ride to our SUV with our large, wooden arch. Instead of saying: "We can't do it," they left our guys waiting for 45 minutes and ignored the request. So we had 4 guys carry it. If they cannot accommodate the request, just say so.

Food: The food was excellent!! The timing of the food coming out and the quality is top notch. . On the food staff: it would be a nice touch to teach the wait staff to smile and be friendly as I have experienced in other weddings. But love, love the food. We had mushroom risotto for the vegetarians, chicken and beef for the others and all were amazing. And we had requested for an Espresso Cart and our coordinator arranged it. Wow-- that was a HIT!! I would definitely recommend that and since we did not have a bar, it was a fun option. Everyone had a fun time at the reception and it was beautiful day so the view was spectacular.

We stayed an extra day to relax in the pool area and to chill. The pool area is okay--large and they serve food so that was convenient.

The best part was upon checking out, our Valet definitely went beyond the call of duty. He made up for the valet a few days before. We had a LOT of things from wedding and his attitude was so "can-do" and friendly and nothing fazed him. He was definitely customer service oriented!! I wish I could remember his name because he was so good and the Hotel Del experience you would want.

Would I recommend a recommend a wedding there? Well, working with the catering department is a joy and the service you get from the coordinator is so efficient and smooth! And you cannot beat the beauty of the venue.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
It has taken a bit of time for me to research this and determine which wedding you were referencing. Sorry for the delayed response! First and foremost, there is absolutely no acceptable reason for any member of our team treating one of our guests with anything other than the utmost respect with a genuine offer of assistance. I'm terribly sorry for the initial reception you received upon your arrival. The set-up deficiencies in your wedding venue...no excuses, we blew it and are sincerely sorry. I agree with you completely...if we can't immediately accommodate a request, we should say so and then present options. Your feedback is well-received and has been shared with our team.

It certainly sounds like some members of our team tried to recover from the deficiencies you experienced and, that you ended your feedback on a positive note, perhaps we recovered? We certainly hope so and hope you'll come back to The Del.
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

This historic property is an amazing icon of days gone by, but has carried itself well into the 21st century by adding a deluxe spa, ample outdoor fining options, and first class beach services including colorful cabanas and bike rentals. Highly recommended even as a day trip for enjoying the scenery and feeling the slight breeze off the ocean.

Stayed June 2014
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you! We introduced Del Beach earlier this year and reviews have been very positive - we are so fortunate to be located on Coronado beach! We appreciate your endorsement and look forward to welcoming you back to The Del!
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I recently stayed at the resort for a week long trip for work. The resort is huge, so if you have problems walking, this may not be the resort for you. I stayed in a room at the ocean tower and the room was very comfortable. The food was amazing! I am a foodie and usually don't care for hotel/resort food. This place changed my mind. Overall, it was a great resort and I would highly recommend it for anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words! We're delighted you had a wonderful experience at The Del. We take tremendous pride in the culinary experience we provide for our guests throughout our hotel, including the group dining experience.

Yes, the Hotel del Coronado is positioned on 30+ beach-front acres; for our guests requesting or requiring on-property transport assistance, we've invested in new golf carts to facilitate members of our team escorting guests from point 'A' to point 'B.'

We appreciate you being our guest and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel del Coronado!
casapanella
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We have not stayed at this hotel before. Coronado is a beautiful area and the hotel does not disappoint. Beautiful beaches, a variety of restaurants and bars. The weather was perfect. The rooms and staff were excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you so much for stayinhg with us - we appreciate you being our guest!
Wyckoff, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

We were lucky to be upgraded to the Beach Village after we booked the Hotel Del Coronado
I was irritated when they called, but was so pleasantly surprised when we arrived. The room was beautiful with a partial ocean view. Service was great- warm and kind from the valet to the waitstaff at breakfast. We hated to leave!

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank carlafp
Philomath, Oregon
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The hotel Del is very beautiful and the beach is Fabulous. I enjoyed my stay but was surprised and put off by the high cost of food. You can walk into town and eat for a fraction of the cost at the Del. They charge $50.00 A night to park your car, outrageous that it is not free. Otherwise you have to walk a long way down the streets and struggle to find parking. Have to pay for newspaper, coffee and water in the rooms even if you don't want it, you can't opt out. The fire alarm went off in the middle of the night for 45 minutes and they provided no discount or apology.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I understand the frustration and disappointment experienced as a result of the fire alarm. An alarm sounding for just a minute can be annoying and concerning; that we were unable to silence the alarm for an extended period of time in the middle of the night was tremendously frustrating for our team and certainly detracted from the overall guest experience.

I invite you to reach out directly so I may personally address your concerns - I have sent to you a private message containing my contact information. Thank you for your consideration.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 16 in Coronado
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!