“DREAM HOTEL STAY”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My Husband and I just spent 4 days here in celebration of our 1 year Anniversary and we LOVED every minute of it! We started our stay with a visit to the EXCEPTIONAL spa for a couples massage. If you are visiting the Hotel, the Spa is a must (I recommend Vernon if you plan to have a massage!). On thursday's, they offer Spa services at 20% off after 4pm (it's worth it). They also serve sangria starting at 4pm!
Another highlight of out stay was the Romantic S'mores on the Beach. We got a private fire and all the s'mores we could make in an hour. It was a lovely experience (It's new for the hotel, so they have a few kinks to work out, but all in all it was a lot of fun).
The hotel staff is wonderful! Everyone was happy to help with any and all concerns. The Hotel is in the perfect location for the FABULOUS Beach and within walking distance to all the best restaurants (if you prefer to go else where to eat). We ate at almost all the restaurants onsite, and 1500 Ocean was by far the best! If you're looking for a nice Romantic dinner that you won't be rushed through in any way, this is a great spot for you!
Finally, the last thing I'd like to comment on is the Beach Cabana Daybed - DO IT! you will not have a more enjoyable experience! They are about $200 for the entire day (10am-6pm) and they serve drinks and food starting at noon. We spent the entire day out there and really really enjoyed it!
We cannot wait to go back again! We have already been talking about making this an annual summer trip!

Room Tip: You want Ocean view...no exceptions! At this Hotel, it's well worth the extra money! You will en...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Happy Anniversary! Thank you so much for celebrating your special day at The Del! It certainly sounds like you had the perfect anniversary - so many romantic moments! We look forward to welcoming you back to The Del for future celebrations.

There are newer reviews for Hotel del Coronado

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Love everything about the Del, the location, grounds, beach, pool, food, staff and history. Was surprised the hotel's ranking is not higher. It is pricy but you get what you pay for. Del Beach was awesome too, nice to have a little shade in the heat of the day.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms in Victorian building are fantastic! Didn't find ours to be noisy even with eve...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

We're surprised our ranking isn't higher either! :-) We continue to work on that, constantly striving to be #1! Thank you for the kudos - we look forward to welcoming you back to The Del!

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a week long stay at the Del. I can't wait to go back. We stayed in a two bedroom suite on the fifth floor. Our room was gorgeous! Now, this is a historic hotel that is over 100 yrs old so it creaks and has spots that are unlevel but it all adds to the charm. The beach is the best. Early morning you can find a ton of sand dollars. We saw seals and dolphins too. It is super clean and well maintained. They are always touching something up. The restaurants are pricey but all the food is outstanding. Even the pool side sandwiches are gourmet! Just beautiful!

• Stayed: June 2014

You were one of our lucky guests who saw the free dolphin show! They don't do it often but when the dolphins decide to put on a show, everyone stops to watch! So much fun to see them in their natural habitat...our backyard! Thank you, thank you...we can't wait for you to come back either!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

OK, we did not stay there but we did have lunch and wandered about the hotel and grounds as well as the beach. What a fabulous place. The staff were most helpful and the hotel is beautiful. We will definitely stay here on our next trip to San Diego.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Yeah! We look forward to your next visit to San Diego and your stay with us at the Hotel del Coronado. Thank you!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I will say that I was skeptical of visiting because I have been to a lot of beaches. It was pretty and the sand was so glittery. The hotel itself is old but nicely updated with all the amenities. The service is top notch. When at the beach we never struggled to get a waiter. Drinks are EXPENSIVE- $17.00 for a mixed drink. We found glass in our mixed drinks but the problem was promptly fixed. Apparently the blender broke while they were mixing the drinks...hopefully ingesting it didn't cause any internal damage. We were not staying at the hotel since we were staying in San Diego. It is great for a day visit excursion. I wish that I could come back and give the Coronado a second chance...the drink thing was a horrible experience. We had the brunch that is very expensive as well but it is worth it if you are a meat or seafood eater. If you are just going to eat eggs then this probably is not the buffet for you. There are kids everywhere so it is a family friendly destination.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

I'm completely horrified and so very sorry - inexcusable that we wouldn't proactively take measures to make sure your cocktail was perfect before serving. Absolutely not something we hear on a regular basis. if we may be of any assistance, please reach out to our Director of Security. Again, we sincerely apologize and do hope you'll give us another opportunity to provide the legendary service our guests expect to receive from the team at The Del!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I did not actually spend the night at the hotel just came in with a couple of colleagues to have lunch and visit this historic icon. The hotel is beautiful with a lot of character but I was distracted by the number of people and how busy it was. Just trying to get in and out the front drive to valet park is harrowing; there was gridlock with cars and people walking about and no strong control of the area by the staff. And then once inside there are children running everywhere and so many people as if you're at Disney. I expected more of the calm you find at five star resorts, which had always been my "perception" of the Del.

There was a wedding being set up on the back lawn with the reception on the beach during the time we were there. I could tell that it was going to be a very lovely event. I can see why people book events here and I think I will take another look and consider it myself in the future. I plan to visit again in the evening and see if the ambience is different.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for visiting! Weddings at The Del are truly magical - The Del is a lovely backdrop but the bride is the real attraction. We love hosting weddings - such a special moment in time for the bride and groom, their families and friends!

As most beach resorts do, we welcome many families to The Del, especially during the summer months... we're told there is simply no better vacation than a beach vacation, especially at the Hotel del Coronado. Yes, the summer is a busy time for us...things do, however, settle down a great deal in the evening time when most children are tucked in for the night...the perfect time for a glass of wine at ENO. Come back and check it out!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Our stay at the Del was probably a bit different than just coming for a vacation. We are local San Diegans and the hotel was the wedding venue for our son. We also booked 4 rooms all together. My review will be twofold: Hotel and the Wedding.

Hotel: The property is beautiful! There is none like it in San Diego. Our room was a Junior Suite Oceanfront and the view and the room was magical. It was in the Victorian building. This is the original building and this balcony was what you would imagine in the movies with the unobstructed ocean front view. My son and his groomsmen had an ocean view room but it was in the Cabana building so that is not in the original Victorian. They said it was a great room with an amazing view and they had a corner balcony. The other two rooms were the complimentary rooms when you book a wedding. One was a basic and the other was a Junior Suite both in the Victorian room so that was so convenient for the bride and her bridal party. Their rooms did not have a view but looking back, I should have requested at least a garden view and paid the difference instead of a view of the parking lot:) But, nevertheless, the rooms were something we were extremely happy with.

As for the valet, I have been to the Del on may occasions for the Spa or lunch/dinner or wedding planning and the valet is excellent in that aspect. Where the snafu occurred was when we checked in and as you can imagine, for a wedding of 250 guests, we had a lot of wedding "supplies" that about 4 vehicles had. They were neatly organized in clean bins and marked, however, the valet was less than accommodating with that. I wish they had just told us what was the proper protocol on where to unload the items that were going into a storage conference room. If they had told us, we would have gladly complied. Instead, they made us feel less than welcome and the bride was a bit stressed by this, and the head person shook his head and said: "You shouldn't be doing this here..." but did not give us another option. So, we continued to unload a couple of the valet guys assisted us and the rest we had our guys/gals carry in. We did our best to do it expediently so we can get our cars out of the way from the front of the hotel. It just made a very unpleasant start of a wedding weekend.

Check In: The check in was a different experience: welcoming, warm, and informational. They were top notch and it was the top notch service you would expect.

Retail: Restaurants, shops (including the yummy candy store), and the clothing stores were all great experiences with good food and friendly service.

Wedding Venue: The planning stages were all well done and went smoothly. Our coordinator was knowledgeable and always came back with an answer in a very timely manner. She always had time to either meet with me or communicate with me in person especially during the last few days closer to the wedding. The changing rooms (Hanover and Bayside) for the Bride and Groom were large and accommodated the wedding party, breakfast, hair stylists and make up stylists that we hired. The Lawn for the Wedding? The pictures say it all. That is where the ceremony was. It was an 11 a.m. wedding and the lawn set up we requested was 7 a.m. and that went off without a hitch. The view for the wedding is unparalled anywhere in SD with a direct ocean front view. The set up for the water, lemonade was perfect and they put up umbrellas in certain areas like we requested since it was sunny. The appetizers for the "cocktail hour" was hot, fresh, and the servers were very good.

Reception Set Up: Right after the appetizers, we moved to the Grand Ballroom. It has a panoramic ocean view. The stressful and negative experience we had was early morning of the wedding preparing the ballroom. We requested for a 7 a.m. set up (since we needed to be at pictures and etc by 9:30-10:00 a.m.) and when we got there past past 7 a.m., the room was still dirty from the event the night before. I don't know where the miscommunication occurred. We had about 10 people to turn the ballroom around--linen, chair covers, sashes on the chair, and centerpieces. For 29 tables and 290 chairs, that is a long process. It was 8 a.m. and nothing was really being done except for one guy who was putting the dance floor together by himself but no cleaning was going on. So we personally started pulling dirty linen from the tables and started moving tables to where they belonged and picking up the spilled food from the night before that was on the carpet. At this point, I voiced my concerns to the captain and she said she will convey the message to the catering department. Another worker came to help arrange the tables but they were rude and were not accommodating. I know they are only given directions from the catering department but I feel that customer service should be taught to ALL the workers that will interface with the customers. The captain stated she would give the message to the conference/catering department so I did let her know how unhappy I was and that I needed action. We continued to work getting chair covers on and sashes, etc, and I was panicking inside because the room was still not vacuumed and dirty linen everywhere. My coordinator came past 9 a.m. and it was then that she got the team to go into action but all of my friends continued to put linen on the table even though they told us they would do it. Once our catering coordinator was there, she directed the workers on what to do. I felt much better then. We did not have much time to turn the room around to look elegant and beautiful like the bride wanted. One has their wedding at Hotel Del because they feel that everything will be set and that the customer experience will be first rate. The set up crews/workers need help in being taught customer service--they were curt, not very understanding of the urgency, and did not want to go the extra mile. After the wedding, since there were workers with their little carts driving around, we asked if they could give us a ride to our SUV with our large, wooden arch. Instead of saying: "We can't do it," they left our guys waiting for 45 minutes and ignored the request. So we had 4 guys carry it. If they cannot accommodate the request, just say so.

Food: The food was excellent!! The timing of the food coming out and the quality is top notch. . On the food staff: it would be a nice touch to teach the wait staff to smile and be friendly as I have experienced in other weddings. But love, love the food. We had mushroom risotto for the vegetarians, chicken and beef for the others and all were amazing. And we had requested for an Espresso Cart and our coordinator arranged it. Wow-- that was a HIT!! I would definitely recommend that and since we did not have a bar, it was a fun option. Everyone had a fun time at the reception and it was beautiful day so the view was spectacular.

We stayed an extra day to relax in the pool area and to chill. The pool area is okay--large and they serve food so that was convenient.

The best part was upon checking out, our Valet definitely went beyond the call of duty. He made up for the valet a few days before. We had a LOT of things from wedding and his attitude was so "can-do" and friendly and nothing fazed him. He was definitely customer service oriented!! I wish I could remember his name because he was so good and the Hotel Del experience you would want.

Would I recommend a recommend a wedding there? Well, working with the catering department is a joy and the service you get from the coordinator is so efficient and smooth! And you cannot beat the beauty of the venue.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

It has taken a bit of time for me to research this and determine which wedding you were referencing. Sorry for the delayed response! First and foremost, there is absolutely no acceptable reason for any member of our team treating one of our guests with anything other than the utmost respect with a genuine offer of assistance. I'm terribly sorry for the initial reception you received upon your arrival. The set-up deficiencies in your wedding venue...no excuses, we blew it and are sincerely sorry. I agree with you completely...if we can't immediately accommodate a request, we should say so and then present options. Your feedback is well-received and has been shared with our team.

It certainly sounds like some members of our team tried to recover from the deficiencies you experienced and, that you ended your feedback on a positive note, perhaps we recovered? We certainly hope so and hope you'll come back to The Del.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
#1 of 17 in Coronado
1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn
Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!