“Perfect for margaritas!”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Spent a great afternoon here, after seeking out the hotel and beach due to their part in Some Like It Hot! I was really impressed by the setting, as well as how well kept the hotel was - beautiful. Most of all, though, it was so nice to find the place buzzing with activity and atmosphere - certainly not stuffy or pompous - really infectious and I will certainly aim to visit again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Yeah! Thank you - we appreciate your positive endorsement of the Hotel del Coronado!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,591)

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We loved the Hotel Del! This historic gem exceeded my expectations in every way! The beach was stunning and the location is ideal for walks into town. For a 125-old-hotel, the grounds, common areas and rooms were clean and in excellent condition. Most importantly, and the reason for my review... the staff bent over backwards to help us. Obviously, not every room in the hotel can have a grand view... we were unsatisfied and disappointed with our first one... Cesar (security) and a wonderful front desk gal (I wish I knew her name) helped us to upgrade to a more suitable room. Everyone else we encountered during our 3-night stay: from the servers in the pricy, but delicious breakfast buffet to the pool and beach staff were warm, friendly and so helpful! At the airport, my 12-year-old daughter realized that her eyeglasses had fallen underneath the bed. We called the hotel... Again, the staff exceeded all expectations. Ray, from Security, found the missing glasses, phoned me back within 20 minutes and had them Fedexed to us in Colorado. Yes... everything at the Del costs A LOT ($6.50 for a diet coke!?!), but I found that incredible service, a stunning location and historic charm made up for that. I have stayed at some pretty amazing hotels... The Broadmoor, Ritz-Carltons, Four Seasons, etc... In my opinion, the Hotel Del Coronado wins the prize for the best service! Not stuffy and pretentious, just laid-back, eager to please and clearly valued as employees. Thank you all for taking great care of this Colorado family!! We WILL be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

We're absolutely delighted you had a wonderful experience at the Hotel del Coronado! Thank you so much for recognizing members of our team for providing exceptional service - we'll certainly share this review with Cesar and Ray. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Del! Thank you for being our guests.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Great place for families and conferences – here are the ups and downs:

Positives:

Beautiful property – well manicured, well kept. Keep in mind - this is an old hotel, not new construction. Given the size and the proximity to the ocean, they have done an awesome job keeping it up

Staff – very helpful and kind staff.

Location – if you want to relax and hang out at the beach there is no better place to do so. The beach is a walk out the backdoor.

Fitness – decent workout facilities and an ocean walk that is a great jogging trail.

Rooms – nothing spectacular but everything was well appointed, very well kept, and comfortable – all high end adds.

Negatives:

Expense – this place is expensive. Food, rooms, etc. Given the location it is not out of the ordinary expense but I would plan to dine off property if you are on any type of budget.

Internet – it was a pain in the butt to log on – this could have been operator error but I used chrome and explorer and could not get the security code to come up until I received assistance. Also, the wireless is not available in certain parts of the hotel.

Transportation – NOT THE DEL’s problem but getting a cab can be a pain. Uber does service the island.

Annoyance – they were small but there - my room was not ready until about an hour after check in time. When you are paying 400+ for a room, you expect better. The excuse: “we were busy this weekend.” I get it but given the hotel and location you are busy every weekend. We wanted to eat on property at 1500 Ocean, we heard it was awesome. It was closed both nights we were there. The hotel was packed both nights – there could have been an issue but it was annoying.

This was a great place to stay and it is a bucket list place to stay. Would I do it again – sure, not on my dime though. The staff was very kind and helpful; the grounds were great; the ocean access was awesome - so there are certain aspects to justify the price you pay but it is very expensive. It is Four Seasons price without the experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank FollowingtheEquator

Thank you for your feedback! Agreed – you simply cannot beat the location. We are so fortunate to reference the Pacific Ocean and one of the best beaches in America as our “backyard.” We work diligently to consistently upgrade and maintain the facilities and grounds at The Del – thanks for noticing! As well, we’re focused on elevating our service levels with each member of our team diligently working to deliver “yes” to our guests.

Whenever a guest reports an issue with Internet connectivity, our provider notes the location of the guestroom and conducts diagnostic testing to determine how to alleviate future connectivity issues – we’re chipping away at the areas where wireless is unavailable. In fact, in early July, we’ll have wireless connectivity on Del Beach!

The availability of taxi service on Coronado has indeed been challenging – so, our Vice President & General Manager met with the Coronado City Manager just this week to discuss a number of things, including the availability of taxis on the island – we’re hoping to have a positive resolution sooner rather than later to address this transportation deficiency.

We thank you for your business, for being our guest – we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Del when future travel brings you to the San Diego area so we may demonstrate that the deficiencies you experienced were the exception and not the rule at the Hotel del Coronado!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The staff are amazing, accomodating, and friendly without fail. Food was awesome as always (room service coffee - EXCELLENT - is one of our favs in the morning). Room was clean and attractively decorated; we get the least expensive possible because all we do is sleep in it. The hotel amenities? Not impressed. In fact, the staff shined because of their accommodating those failures (possibly partly due to the fact that we didn't act like prima donna jerks when we pointed out the issues). 1) Adult pool is closed for an overhaul and has been closed since March when we made our arrangements - we decided to go ahead and stay at the Del despite that. The screams and shrieks of the kids at the regular pool is neverending. We knew it would but for a romantic, adult vacation for a couple whose kids are grown? Not an option on which we'll ever compromise again. 2) The TV in our cabana at the regular pool didn't work, but again, the staff took care of us on that account. 3) The rental of boogie boards has changed to an hourly rate instead of daily, and because the storage of them is at the closed adult pool, acquiring a board can be difficult - again the staff accommodated us. We were treated like royalty, so I can't say enough how impressed I was by that; I was just disappointed by all the issues.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

We sincerely appreciate your feedback – thank you! We’re delighted our team members “treated you as if you were royalty” as we’ve worked diligently with our team to deliver “yes” in response to guest requests whenever possible.

Our Boardwalk Pool has indeed received a facelift! It was closed for a three-week period to facilitate the completion of this work and has reopened with a new vibe – resurfaced, new cabanas and background music enhancement. With this work behind us, the adult-only pool provides a respite from the activity throughout The Del. Our new cabanas throughout The Del include brand new larger televisions, and we’re in the process of upgrading our television services to HD property-wide.

Again, thank you for your feedback and for being our guest at the Hotel del Coronado!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I've stayed at many classic resorts and I'm disappointed that so many reviewers seem oblivious about what to expect from a 100+ year old resort. Regardless, here are my thoughts. The "Del" is a great property. It is vibrant and has been well maintained. Unlike similar resorts, it's not tired. It has a significant amount of shops and great restaurant options. The rooms are not elegant by modern standards. There are other hotels nearby that offer that; however, none can offer the location or the atmosphere by what I could tell.

We were traveling with children ages 12, 12, 7 and 5. They all enjoyed the hotel as well, including the pool, the ice cream shop, the pizza parlor, and the beach.

For those that have visited other resorts, this is how I would rank the Del against other resorts:

1) Hotel Del Coronado - #1 b/c of it's on and off property attractions
2) Greenbrier in the Fall - #2 only b/c it has no off property attractions
3) The Breakers in the Early Summer
4) The Grand Hotel - A cross between a casino and the Queen Mary...stay elsewhere and take the tour instead
5) Omni Mount Washington - Simply Boring...on-site and off

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Wow! We're honored and flattered - I doubt our PR team could have captured the spirit of your words as you so eloquently shared them. We are very appreciative of your feedback and look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Hotel del Coronado. THANK YOU!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Hotel del Coronado has certainly seen better days. Nowadays, it seems to me it is just trying to live off its past glory, but failing miserably. It is trying to give an image of being a luxury hotel, but when you get there, you do not see any glimpse of luxury.
Though far apart in time, I have stayed at the Del three times; the most recent was just last month when we had to evacuate because of the wild fires . The first was when we were just thinking of moving to San Diego, and the second time, when we also had to evacuate because of the huge 2007 fires. At ll those times, never did I get the sense of being "welcomed". There was never anyone there to help with the bags, though they have lots of guys scrambling to valet park your car, because, I imagine, there is a huge charge for that. The self-park fee is now $39. The packet which contains your room key has a note in it that about says it all. "A resort charge will be automatically posted to your room account daily, providing for "complimentary" access to 800 and local phone calls, high-speed Internet access, daily newspaper (Monday-Saturday), in room coffee and access to Fitness center." How they can say these are "complimentary" while informing you that you are being charged for them is I think truly deceptive and sneaky.
This time around, the hotel was almost fully booked. We managed to get a room at the last minute, but this room was in one of the adjacent buildings. It was a room on the ground floor which was badly conceived and designed. The bed and the toilet are back-to-back with only a very thin wall separating them. My husband and I had to make a pact that we would refrain from flushing the toilet in the middle of the night. It also turned out that the room is for the handicapped. The bathroom lights just kept on turning on all through the night. We couldn't find a way to turn them off permanently (until turned on again); so we had to keep on getting up to turn them off; only for them to turn on again a few hours later. Of course, we were never warned about this. Fortunately, the room was given to us at a discount because we were fire evacuees. I would have been terribly unhappy if we had to pay the normal exorbitant fee for such a lousy room.
Before we went to bed, we already knew that we could go back to the house the following morning, so we planned on having an early breakfast. The only place serving breakfast was Sheerwater, where we got a very cold reception from the hostess. She seemed very irritated and unhappy. I don't know if it was because we were rather early. There were chefs behind the food counters, but none of them was friendly, helpful or welcoming. No one said anything to help with the selection. The only warm person in the whole place was the waiter that we got. He was at least very pleasant and attentive.
For the duration of our stay, there was never any warm interaction with any member of the staff; other than the waiter. It seemed nobody cared. When we were entering our building, we were having difficulty with all our bags of valuables that we were trying to save from the fire. It was not an automatic door, and there were some uniformed staff on the other side of the door. I think the normal thing is for them to at least open the door for us, seeing how we were struggling. But there were three of them, and no one made any move to open the door or help us with our bags.
In fairness I have to say that in 2007, I was initially given a very tight, small room. When I went down to the front desk to complain; they moved me to a much bigger room. But that was then, and now is now.
So I don't know what the Del is going for these days. Certainly not luxury; certainly not friendly service; certainly not a hotel of comfort.

Room Tip: If you are not handicapped, avoid Room 6125.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cot2ntail
Akeem A, Public Relations Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to share a review of your stay, though we’re very troubled by your account of your recent experience. This is by no means consistent with the level of quality and service we have built our reputation on. We’d like to apologize for any inconvenience and begin the process of making things right. Please feel free to reach out to us directly, so we may begin to address these issues.

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your review of your stay at the Hotel del Coronado. We’re very troubled by your account of your recent experience, which is by no means consistent with the level of quality and service upon which we have built our reputation. We apologize for any inconvenience experienced and invite you to reach out to us directly – we would appreciate the opportunity to make things right!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

You stay at this hotel for the charm and the location. While the rooms are nice, they aren’t as great as they should be for the price that you pay. When we checked into our first junior suite, the room they gave us was next to the largest air conditioning unit that you have ever seen. Not only did this provide a horrible view, the noise from the air conditioning units overpowered the room. We immediately asked to change rooms, and after some back and forth, they were able to find us another junior suite. The new suite had a large living room area and decent size bedroom, but the bathroom was very tiny.

The pool was decent and so were the restaurants. Be prepared to wait in long lines for ice cream and/or coffee, probably because of the amount of tourists that visit the hotel. One morning the coffee shop didn’t have use of their computer so everything was done by hand which made the line even longer.

One activity not to miss is smores on the beach. It isn’t cheap, but a great experience for the entire family. The staff on the beach was very nice and replenished our marshmallows as needed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking a moment to share your review of your recent stay at Hotel del Coronado. While it sounds like there were a few hiccups getting you situated in your room, I’m pleased that our staff was able to find you more suitable accommodations. We love your recommendation to enjoy s’mores on the beach! It’s one of our favorite Hotel del Coronado traditions. And, now that we’ve launched “Roast” [our upgraded and enhanced s’mores experience], there is an even greater reason to enjoy this beachside experience!

We do appreciate you taking a moment to share a few points of concern, like the lines at the coffee shop. The lines are a concern for us as well! We’re considering several satellite coffee areas to reduce the lines at our B&S Bakery.

We hope to be able to welcome you back for a return visit; please let us know if there’s anything we can do to be of service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 286 in San Diego

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!