“Wanted to love it more”

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Indy
“Wanted to love it more”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Recently stayed here for business. Loved the history and my room had a beautiful view and was renovated. But there is some upkeep needed as would be expected with a property of this age. New roof and some wood rot rather noticeable. Will definitely give it another chance but compared to other hotels I have stayed, it has yet to earn a 4 or 5 star rating from me. Has great promise however.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view room in main building. Otherwise the trek is rather long.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Willipa
Akeem A, Public Relations Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to share your review. While it sounds like you found much to enjoy here, I’m sorry to hear that we were not able to exceed your expectations overall. We are always making changes and improvements, and will be sure to keep your feedback in mind. We certainly hope you choose to stay with us again; I guarantee there is a positive experience to be had.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is an incredible hotel! We stayed here for 5 days as part of our summer vacation. We got a standard room and were placed on the top floor facing the garden. From our balcony we could get a partial view of the ocean. The room is huge! The closet is also very large which allowed us to keep all our luggage out of the way. The only down side to the room is the size of the bathroom - it was very small. It would have been nice for a small vanity area outside of the bathroom to get ready.

The hotel is also in great proximity to the downtown area which there is nice dining and shopping - and of course there are small shops within the hotel.

We did not eat at the hotel dining options as they seem overpriced and with so many options in town that were much more affordable - we opted to eat out. It seemed many staying in the hotel were doing the same. Even for breakfast, there were great options - a bagel shop and coffee shop - that provide a good option.

I was disappointed in the explanation of the staff on hotel amenities and what was included in our resort fee. I felt the fee was overpriced for what you got. Especially disappointing was the beach. While towels are provided, chairs are an extra expense. Plus the chairs you can rent are kept close to the hotel and no where near the ocean line. Our children wanted to play in the water which made no sense to rent chairs that could not be taken down to the water area. I had inquired by phone and probably due to a misunderstanding on my part I was told they provided chairs at the beach as part of the resort fee - but this was not the case. Also, for the children, they wanted to use boogie boards - and the fee to rent was almost the cost of ones sold in town. I recommend if you are staying for awhile, go ahead and purchase a chair and board - even if you leave them behind, you will save money.

The children participated in a Dive-In movie which was really nice. Unfortunately, the weather was a little chilly - would have been nice if portable heaters were brought over for the adults. Also, it only happens once a week - seems like a family resort would offer this more than once a week.

There was also a free Smores night. This was a nice touch. My children loved making Smores on the beach. This was part of your resort fee - though when we were leaving, the staff was really offering them to anyone walking along the beach - resort guest or not. Surprised at this.

One thing that I found somewhat frustrating is the amount of non-resort traffic there is on this property. This hotel is historic and many people were walking in and out from tour groups or meeting making some areas overcrowded and loud. There were many times people walking around with Trolley Tour stickers on taking pictures in the lobby or on the ground. For those of us that paid a high price to stay there, it was somewhat irritating.

One other downside is parking. The self parking lot seemed to max out a few days we were there. The hotel is gracious to allow you to use the valet when self parking is full.

Overall, our family loved our stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for your rating of The Del. We're delighted you and your family enjoyed your overall experience and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel del Coronado when you return to the San Diego area.
Arlington VA
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I checked out of this hotel at 5:30 a.m. this past Saturday morning. I needed to get to the airport for a 7 a.m. flight.
when I walked out the front door there were no valet attendants on duty, in fact their booth was closed. I went back to the desk to ask them to call a taxi cab for me. The attendant was quite rude and said that I should have made arrangements the previous evening and that all taxis in Coronado were booked for the day!
this is absurd. a hotel of this standing not having transportation options to get guests to the airport for early morning flights.

Also, there were screaming kids running up and down the halls at all hours of the day and night.
when I called the desk at 1 a.m. to ask that they do something about this, their reply was "what are we supposed to do?"

obviously very poor management of this property.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank ArlingtonVAKangaroo
Akeem A, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
I offer our sincerest apologies for what sounds like a disappointing experience, particularly in regards to the service you requested from members of our team. Rest assured, our guests’ overall comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost importance to us, and we’re always willing to go the extra mile to improve a stay. I’m very sorry that your experience was not consistent with that standard.
I hope you’ll give us another chance to earn back your trust.
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Everyone on the hotel staff was friendly and very efficient. Extremely over priced, however, in the on property restaurants. I believe the hotel needs to for warn guests that when a wedding occurs, the resort caters to the wedding party ONLY! We were pushed aside so the "bridal party" could have a moment:( also, most of the guests were extremely snotty and felt they needed extra attention. I also did not agree with the hotel having certain areas reserved for higher paying customers. I've always been a firm believer of everyone is equal. Overall, I'm rating my stay a 4 because I stayed Tuesday-Sunday and the week days were AMAZING. I would NOT recommend staying on a weekend....WAY OVER CROWDED DUE TO WEDDINGS AND WEEKENDS!

• Stayed June 2014
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for your review of the Hotel del Coronado - we sincerely appreciate your feedback! We certainly never intend to push any guest out of the way and are terribly sorry you received this impression. The Del is a very popular wedding destination - we work diligently to balance every area of our operation so everyone has a positive experience. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel del Coronado.
Clemmons, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Absolutely amazing Hotel with history that abounds. The beach is Spectacular and the Beach Service was the best I have ever received, bar none...Absolutely Stunning Beach and the beach area was massive. There were tons of people there, but big enough that I felt like I had my own little private piece of the beach. Chair Service with attentive wait staff and menu available for most anything you could desire. it was a fabulous visit and would return again and again!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review! We launched Del Beach in May and have received very positive feedback from guests - we're delighted you had a terrific experience and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel del Coronado!
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We come to the Del every year summer. This has been a family tradition for the last five years. I love the history of this place. It is gorgeous! You can walk out to the beach, or take a stroll off the property for fun shopping. The elevator man is a family favorite with our family. I love the Del! I look forward to our week here every summer. Yes, it is expensive, but so is Maui or Hawaii (which are other great hotels with wonderful beaches comparable to the Del). The customer service here is also wonderful. Every year we have had a wonderful experience, and I have stayed at lots of places in my life. Whenever I am at a hotel that is less than great customer service, I have to remind myself that it's not the Del or the Wailea Princess. Lol. The set the bar on customer service.

Stayed August 2013
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you for your endorsement of The Del! We sincerely appreciate your loyalty and appreciate you being our guest!
Greeley, Colorado
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed here as weekend get away. We opted for a room with a balcony and a partial ocean view. It was amazing. We had planned to eat on the island for dinner but opted to eat on property and the food was wonderful and the service was spot on. We spent time on the beach and at the outdoor bar. We explored the hotel and grounds and had a wonderful time exploring the rich history of this landmark hotel.

Room Tip: Worth the splurge for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Thank you so much for your kind endorsement. And, since your stay in July, 2013, so many upgrades and enhancements have been completed. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel del Coronado!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 16 in Coronado
Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!