“crowded, noisy and just not so great” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Los Angeles, California
“crowded, noisy and just not so great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

the hotel del is like a cruise ship: happy attitudes to be sure, but in addition there are large crowds, mediocre food/customer service, and the entire place is a bit worn around the edges.

i have an ongoing project in coronado and so i brought my whole team to stay a week at the del and arrived with high hopes. on the first night, i was given a second floor room overlooking a parking lot. i asked to be moved, and was taken to a beachfront room-which seemed like it could be an improvement but in fact was worse. when i got home from work that night, there was a convention party in full swing on the beach-complete with MC, a beach boys cover band, and drunken partygoers dancing and yelling right outside my window. sort of like a saturday night live skit.

it took almost two hours for the hotel to find me yet another room, and i had to carry my own bags-but finally they set me up at their adjacent property, called the beach village. a massive improvement! the beach village is much higher end, with tasteful rooms and good service. i enjoyed my stay there but unfortunately, the whole thing was too little, too late.

i should mention that when i called the hotel to cancel a subsequent reservation, they were gracious and listened to my story and encouraged me to come back.

Room Tip: skip the hotel del and go straight to the beach village
2 Thank burnhamdesign
Akeem A, Public Relations Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to share your review, however I’m troubled that your stay left you disappointed overall. We understand that guests come to Hotel Del Coronado to relax and needing to move rooms is certainly not conducive with a relaxing getaway. While it sounds like our staff was able to straighten out the issue, we apologize that we did not get it right the first time. If you’d like to contact us and discuss your stay in more detail, we’d welcome the opportunity to earn back your trust.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,244)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Absolutely loved spending our days on the beach drinking cocktails and enjoying the ocean. We love that the resort is family friendly but also offers luxury and relaxation you look for while on vacation. Excellent customer service! Patrick (Del Beach) took amazing care of us and made sure we had everything we needed. Had an amazing time and already looking forward to coming back!

• Stayed June 2014
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you so much! We're absolutely delighted you loved spending your day at the beach. Del Beach launched this year, and the feedback we've received has been tremendously positive! We'll certainly share your comments with the Boucher Brothers [the operators of Del Beach] - they'll be delighted and will no doubt recognize Patrick for delivering an amazing beach experience. That you're looking forward to coming back is the best compliment - we're honored!
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

My family had a relaxing and comfortable leisure stay at the Del. The room price spoke of the beautiful location and experience. Booked with Del Perks package with additional S'mores on the beach... Great customer service to the entire hotel staff, restaurant and to the parking attendant... Can't ask for anything more. We are definitely coming back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Yeah! Thank you so much. We're delighted you enjoyed your experience at The Del. The best compliment is your intent to return. We sincerely appreciate you being our guests!
Indy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Recently stayed here for business. Loved the history and my room had a beautiful view and was renovated. But there is some upkeep needed as would be expected with a property of this age. New roof and some wood rot rather noticeable. Will definitely give it another chance but compared to other hotels I have stayed, it has yet to earn a 4 or 5 star rating from me. Has great promise however.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view room in main building. Otherwise the trek is rather long.
1 Thank Willipa
Thank you for taking a moment to share your review. While it sounds like you found much to enjoy here, I’m sorry to hear that we were not able to exceed your expectations overall. We are always making changes and improvements, and will be sure to keep your feedback in mind. We certainly hope you choose to stay with us again; I guarantee there is a positive experience to be had.
Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is an incredible hotel! We stayed here for 5 days as part of our summer vacation. We got a standard room and were placed on the top floor facing the garden. From our balcony we could get a partial view of the ocean. The room is huge! The closet is also very large which allowed us to keep all our luggage out of the way. The only down side to the room is the size of the bathroom - it was very small. It would have been nice for a small vanity area outside of the bathroom to get ready.

The hotel is also in great proximity to the downtown area which there is nice dining and shopping - and of course there are small shops within the hotel.

We did not eat at the hotel dining options as they seem overpriced and with so many options in town that were much more affordable - we opted to eat out. It seemed many staying in the hotel were doing the same. Even for breakfast, there were great options - a bagel shop and coffee shop - that provide a good option.

I was disappointed in the explanation of the staff on hotel amenities and what was included in our resort fee. I felt the fee was overpriced for what you got. Especially disappointing was the beach. While towels are provided, chairs are an extra expense. Plus the chairs you can rent are kept close to the hotel and no where near the ocean line. Our children wanted to play in the water which made no sense to rent chairs that could not be taken down to the water area. I had inquired by phone and probably due to a misunderstanding on my part I was told they provided chairs at the beach as part of the resort fee - but this was not the case. Also, for the children, they wanted to use boogie boards - and the fee to rent was almost the cost of ones sold in town. I recommend if you are staying for awhile, go ahead and purchase a chair and board - even if you leave them behind, you will save money.

The children participated in a Dive-In movie which was really nice. Unfortunately, the weather was a little chilly - would have been nice if portable heaters were brought over for the adults. Also, it only happens once a week - seems like a family resort would offer this more than once a week.

There was also a free Smores night. This was a nice touch. My children loved making Smores on the beach. This was part of your resort fee - though when we were leaving, the staff was really offering them to anyone walking along the beach - resort guest or not. Surprised at this.

One thing that I found somewhat frustrating is the amount of non-resort traffic there is on this property. This hotel is historic and many people were walking in and out from tour groups or meeting making some areas overcrowded and loud. There were many times people walking around with Trolley Tour stickers on taking pictures in the lobby or on the ground. For those of us that paid a high price to stay there, it was somewhat irritating.

One other downside is parking. The self parking lot seemed to max out a few days we were there. The hotel is gracious to allow you to use the valet when self parking is full.

Overall, our family loved our stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for your rating of The Del. We're delighted you and your family enjoyed your overall experience and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel del Coronado when you return to the San Diego area.
Arlington VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I checked out of this hotel at 5:30 a.m. this past Saturday morning. I needed to get to the airport for a 7 a.m. flight.
when I walked out the front door there were no valet attendants on duty, in fact their booth was closed. I went back to the desk to ask them to call a taxi cab for me. The attendant was quite rude and said that I should have made arrangements the previous evening and that all taxis in Coronado were booked for the day!
this is absurd. a hotel of this standing not having transportation options to get guests to the airport for early morning flights.

Also, there were screaming kids running up and down the halls at all hours of the day and night.
when I called the desk at 1 a.m. to ask that they do something about this, their reply was "what are we supposed to do?"

obviously very poor management of this property.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ArlingtonVAKangaroo
Akeem A, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
I offer our sincerest apologies for what sounds like a disappointing experience, particularly in regards to the service you requested from members of our team. Rest assured, our guests’ overall comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost importance to us, and we’re always willing to go the extra mile to improve a stay. I’m very sorry that your experience was not consistent with that standard.
I hope you’ll give us another chance to earn back your trust.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Everyone on the hotel staff was friendly and very efficient. Extremely over priced, however, in the on property restaurants. I believe the hotel needs to for warn guests that when a wedding occurs, the resort caters to the wedding party ONLY! We were pushed aside so the "bridal party" could have a moment:( also, most of the guests were extremely snotty and felt they needed extra attention. I also did not agree with the hotel having certain areas reserved for higher paying customers. I've always been a firm believer of everyone is equal. Overall, I'm rating my stay a 4 because I stayed Tuesday-Sunday and the week days were AMAZING. I would NOT recommend staying on a weekend....WAY OVER CROWDED DUE TO WEDDINGS AND WEEKENDS!

• Stayed June 2014
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for your review of the Hotel del Coronado - we sincerely appreciate your feedback! We certainly never intend to push any guest out of the way and are terribly sorry you received this impression. The Del is a very popular wedding destination - we work diligently to balance every area of our operation so everyone has a positive experience. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel del Coronado.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,942 reviews

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!