“Booked a DREAM but woke up in a NIGHTMARE!!!!”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have wanted to stay at this hotel for years. When a recent conference gave me the opportunity I leaped at the chance.

It is indeed an old hotel. But that comes with the territory. I ended up staying in the ocean towers built in the 70s? Not bad at first glance, but after a night there it was indeed a nightmare. Slamming doors, loud conversations through walls and screaming babies. I know it's a hotel. People are all around you but I expected to have a quieter time than the motel 6!!

I decided to explore the hotel in the evening time after the conference. The grounds were well kept, as expected for a luxury hotel, but nothing to write home about.

The hallways of the main old hotel were well lit, yet still seemed dingy with peeling wallpaper and multiple paint jobs apparent. I never saw a guest room in this building, but from the looks of the hallway I didn't expect much better in the rooms.

The service at the beach was spotty. We had quite the sassy waiter named George. We heard him sassing many guests around us. He was basically pleasant to us, but indeed gave the non-verbal impression he expected a larger tip. I tipped over 20%. :/

The biggest nightmare was what I woke up with on my last day there. Literally 15-20 bites all over my body. I had woken up with 2-3 bites the previous day, but day 3 I don't know what got me but I was attacked during the night. Front desk staff were passively attentive. Upon my complaint I was directed to wait at the desk to complete a "formal report" with security. I was asked questions about the situation and then "released". Nobody seemed to care. No manager came to speak to me. Nobody called me. The front desk personnel were left with nothing but a meek smile and "I'm sorry" to offer me along with the front office manager's business card to follow up in "2 weeks after security finishes the investigation". I felt neglected and disillusioned in what I thought the del was.

Finally the conference facilities were a dump. Poor lighting, bad carpet and dirty windows. Not worth it.

The best thing about my whole week was the ice cream I got one night at the ice cream shop.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank 654Dreamer73
Akeem A, Public Relations Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear 654Dreamer73,

While we are pleased that you fulfilled a dream of staying at our hotel, we regret that your experience so clearly fell short of our high standards. We take your feedback very seriously, and have already begun taking steps to address your concerns. It is important that we discuss these issues in greater detail, and so we invite you reach out directly at your convenience. Our primary concern is to show you the respect and care you deserve. We are committed to making things right.

It is disappointing that the service you received did not reflect both how much we value your happiness and satisfaction and how we operate. We hope you will accept our sincerest apologies and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed at The Del in early July of this year; fabulous location as our room was ocean front and right on the beach. disappointed in the cleanliness and upkeep of the room, especially given what we paid per night. We stayed at resort in Del Mar prior to our Del stay; room was twice as nice at less than half the cost.
Service at the Del was spotty at best, we had one very helpful associate while most others seemed indifferent.
Loved the Beach

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Thomas_LG4352AD
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We're terribly sorry for the deficiencies you experienced and have shared your comments with our Housekeeping team as an example of their importance to the overall guest experience. We're working diligently on the execution of exceptional service - it appears with you we missed the mark. Thank you for letting us know!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Upgraded to ocean view suite with full balcony. Worth it. Older hotel with charm however bathroom was small and only one sink. Bed very comfortable windows opened and listened to the ocean is my idea of heaven. Services great very helpful turndown services and room very clean. Charming older property enjoyed stay very much. Enjoyed a bike trip around the island and early morning walks. Food at restaurants excellent great shops as well. Definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Amy K

Many thanks for your positive review of The Del - we sincerely appreciate your feedback! Part of the charm of our beloved Victorian Building is the uniqueness of each guestroom and suite - varied sizes and varied shapes, each meticulously attended to by our Housekeeping team. We're delighted you enjoyed your experience and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel del Coronado!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Abby in reservations was very professional and helped to make sure the room request was exceeded! The entire staff provided personalized service amongst a sold out hotel...impressive!!
The new services on Del Beach are amazing and looking forward to returning. The location cannot be beat!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you! Proof that our reservations team sets the tone for the overall guest experience - we'll absolutely share your feedback and recognize Abby! We sincerely appreciate you being our guest and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel del Coronado.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

The reservationists need to be more/ very clear about, "Full Ocean Vie." We were a bit misled. When we expressed this problem, we were at first, not treated particularly well. Megan, a manager finally took care of us.

Room Tip: More attention to cleanliness could be paid to the bathrooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your feedback and for your recognition of Megan - we'll be sure to extend our appreciation for her efforts. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel del Coronado!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a week in June with 2 children 8 & 10. Children received neat backpacks and scavenger hunt items on check-in which provided us with a fun way to firat explore the property, with a yummy treat for them on completion. We found the beach to be great with just the size waves they could handle and there was a lifeguard on duty. They also enjoyes findng little crabs and other treasures in the tide pools among some rocks. Bring your own beach chairs or blanket if possible because hotel charges for lounges and umbrellas and they are set up far away from the water. Both kids went to to Kidtopia for both am & pm sessions one day and the staff and activities were very good. I did have to pick them up though between 12 &1, which was unusual for a day program, but they provided a great lunch for the kids at 1 when I brought them back. The pool area was large but nothing special and staff sometimes came around with free watermelon or popsicles for everybody. Lunch by the pool was good and well priced. They loved Mootime Ice Cream. Try to get a room in the main building. We first had a Cabana Room which was large with 2 queen beds, but a little out of the way with a parking lot view and across from an elevator. Also, the closet was in the bathroom which we didn't like. There was no problem changing rooms, however, and we got a new room in the main building with a partial ocean view, a little smaller but adequate and much better location. All rooms have a fridge so you can stock up on snacks & drinks for the kids at the grocery store right down the street. We were part of a conference so most of our meals were included, but there was a good choice of restaurants on the property and within walking distance of the hotel. The zoo is a short drive over the bridge. Evenings we could sit in comfortable area on Pool Deck and enjoy a glass of wine and kids were welcome and happy to have a Shirley Temple or ice cream. Overall we found the property to be well maintained for such a rambling older structure and all staff we encountered were very helpful. Seemed to be a place where families return years after year for vacation.

Room Tip: Rooms in main part of hotel a little smaller but location is much more convenient
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your review of The Del! We welcome a number of families annually to the Hotel del Coronado and, for our team members who have worked here for a number of years, they've watched children transition to adults bringing their own children to experience The Del. Summer at the beach is a tradition for many...and we're tremendously grateful!

Earlier this year, we launched DelVenture - the backpacks distributed upon arrival are part of this kids' program. We're delighted your children had a wonderful experience and that scavenger hunt provided you all with the opportunity to explore!

We thank you for being our guests and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to the Hotel del Coronado!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I always choose the Del Coronado when I am looking to celebrate a romantic weekend. Me and my husband stayed last in May. We love to relax by the beachfront bar and take in the history. Gorgous lobby and Our room needed a bit of an update , but all in all the hotels location and beach and restuarants can't be beat.

Room Tip: Beach front view is breathtaking
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review and endorsement! We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to the Hotel del Coronado!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 279 in San Diego
El Cordova Hotel
#8 of 17 in Coronado

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!