Hotel del Coronado
La Avenida Inn(Coronado)(Great Value!)
US$248
US$223
US$250
US$219
Loews Coronado Bay Resort(Coronado)(Great Value!)
US$235
US$207
1906 Lodge(Coronado)
US$274
El Cordova Hotel(Coronado)(Great Value!)
US$418
US$337
US$277
  • Restaurant
Villa Capri by the Sea(Coronado)(Great Value!)
US$308
US$269
Crown City Inn(Coronado)(Great Value!)
US$182
US$329
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Coronado Beach Resort(Coronado)(Great Value!)
US$289
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
5,801 results
All reviewsvictorian buildingocean towersheerwater restaurantsun deckcalifornia cabanasice skatingelevator operatorocean fronticonic hotelfull ocean viewmain buildingmarilyn monroesan diegobucket listbannocknavy sealsdel coronado
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The Good: Location, Weather, Kind Service
The Bad: The rooms in old hotel suck. We changed rooms 3 times and apparently this is common. Small rooms, semi renovated, uninsulated. Very noisy, expect to be waken up if the party above you is up early. You will hear every footstep and movement. Hallways noisy too. As far as service, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
The Ugly: The bathrooms are awful. Stains everywhere, smelly, insects, handles fell off, toilets stuff up, shower curtains yech. The hallway carpeting is dirty and old. Paint peeling everywhere.

One big issue is that the hotel ropes off those staying in the villas from the "have nots". Even the
Ritz does not separate the haves from the have nots. That really was a bummer.

Hotel Del absolutely needs a new Board of Directors and CEO. No doubt, tear down Hotel Del and get a new BOD. I wouldn't waste your $500 per night. Go up North to Laguna Nigel and stay
at the Ritz. We have stayed at the Breakers in Palm Beach and that is a 5 star hotel and run well. This hotel does not deserve 3 stars.

Room Tip: If you can't find anywhere else, spend more $$$ and stay in the villas. DO NOT stay in the old hotel. You will not be happy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Michael S,

We are very concerned by your recent experience at our hotel. The Hotel Del Coronado has stood for more than 125 years as one of the country’s finest destinations, and is currently designated as a National Historic Landmark. We have taken great care over the years to preserve the unique character of our resort, while making updates to suit today’s modern traveler. It sounds like you encountered extremely uncharacteristic service and accommodations, and we would very much like to speak in greater detail. We assure you that frequent room changes and excessive noise are far from standard, and can understand your disappointment. At your convenience, please contact us directly at executiveoffice@hoteldel.com

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Loving Marilyn Monroe and knowing that the Florida segment, at the fictitious "Seminole Ritz", was filmed at the Hotel Del Coronado, I had to check it out.

My Daughter was getting married so I booked her and her husband a room at the hotel and added a few extras like s'mores by the beach (complete with butler and bonfire), champagne, flowers, chocolate strawberries in the room, the whole sha-bang. They loved it! I was not going to just leave them there without checking out the hotel first. It was WONDERFUL. They had a huge room with a large dining room table (for the flowers, champagne, etc...) and a separate bedroom just off the living room. This was an upgraded room that I was able to get for a mere $65.00 more.

The room was older and maybe you could tell by the smell of it. It wasn't horrible or even bad, I could just tell it was older, older but elegant. They had every creature comfort in their rooms to include plush robes. They went downstairs to purchase robes to take home and was given another bottle of champagne as a celebration gift for the newly weds. The service was phenomenal!

The grounds were beautiful and the ocean, well, it doesn't get prettier. Most people have seen the iconic buildings that make up this hotel and know that it is definitely one of Coronado's main attractions.

I loved the movie "Some Like it Hot" and that was the reason I picked the hotel; after visiting the hotel, and experiencing the rooms, grounds, staff, well, those are the reasons I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for the upgrades. If they have them, they are worth it!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Omiyoshibaba,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Del Coronado—and so generously giving your daughter and son-in-law an experience to remember. You made wonderful choices with the amenities, and it was our pleasure to help the happy couple celebrate.
As you noted, our hotel has a long history—including appearances in numerous Hollywood productions—and currently enjoys status as a National Historic Landmark. We are pleased to know your experience aligned with your expectations, and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have wanted to stay at this hotel for years. When a recent conference gave me the opportunity I leaped at the chance.

It is indeed an old hotel. But that comes with the territory. I ended up staying in the ocean towers built in the 70s? Not bad at first glance, but after a night there it was indeed a nightmare. Slamming doors, loud conversations through walls and screaming babies. I know it's a hotel. People are all around you but I expected to have a quieter time than the motel 6!!

I decided to explore the hotel in the evening time after the conference. The grounds were well kept, as expected for a luxury hotel, but nothing to write home about.

The hallways of the main old hotel were well lit, yet still seemed dingy with peeling wallpaper and multiple paint jobs apparent. I never saw a guest room in this building, but from the looks of the hallway I didn't expect much better in the rooms.

The service at the beach was spotty. We had quite the sassy waiter named George. We heard him sassing many guests around us. He was basically pleasant to us, but indeed gave the non-verbal impression he expected a larger tip. I tipped over 20%. :/

The biggest nightmare was what I woke up with on my last day there. Literally 15-20 bites all over my body. I had woken up with 2-3 bites the previous day, but day 3 I don't know what got me but I was attacked during the night. Front desk staff were passively attentive. Upon my complaint I was directed to wait at the desk to complete a "formal report" with security. I was asked questions about the situation and then "released". Nobody seemed to care. No manager came to speak to me. Nobody called me. The front desk personnel were left with nothing but a meek smile and "I'm sorry" to offer me along with the front office manager's business card to follow up in "2 weeks after security finishes the investigation". I felt neglected and disillusioned in what I thought the del was.

Finally the conference facilities were a dump. Poor lighting, bad carpet and dirty windows. Not worth it.

The best thing about my whole week was the ice cream I got one night at the ice cream shop.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank 654Dreamer73
Akeem A, Public Relations Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear 654Dreamer73,

While we are pleased that you fulfilled a dream of staying at our hotel, we regret that your experience so clearly fell short of our high standards. We take your feedback very seriously, and have already begun taking steps to address your concerns. It is important that we discuss these issues in greater detail, and so we invite you reach out directly at your convenience. Our primary concern is to show you the respect and care you deserve. We are committed to making things right.

It is disappointing that the service you received did not reflect both how much we value your happiness and satisfaction and how we operate. We hope you will accept our sincerest apologies and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed at The Del in early July of this year; fabulous location as our room was ocean front and right on the beach. disappointed in the cleanliness and upkeep of the room, especially given what we paid per night. We stayed at resort in Del Mar prior to our Del stay; room was twice as nice at less than half the cost.
Service at the Del was spotty at best, we had one very helpful associate while most others seemed indifferent.
Loved the Beach

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Thomas_LG4352AD
Donna G, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We're terribly sorry for the deficiencies you experienced and have shared your comments with our Housekeeping team as an example of their importance to the overall guest experience. We're working diligently on the execution of exceptional service - it appears with you we missed the mark. Thank you for letting us know!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Upgraded to ocean view suite with full balcony. Worth it. Older hotel with charm however bathroom was small and only one sink. Bed very comfortable windows opened and listened to the ocean is my idea of heaven. Services great very helpful turndown services and room very clean. Charming older property enjoyed stay very much. Enjoyed a bike trip around the island and early morning walks. Food at restaurants excellent great shops as well. Definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Amy K

Many thanks for your positive review of The Del - we sincerely appreciate your feedback! Part of the charm of our beloved Victorian Building is the uniqueness of each guestroom and suite - varied sizes and varied shapes, each meticulously attended to by our Housekeeping team. We're delighted you enjoyed your experience and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel del Coronado!