We have stayed at the Del for 20 years now. I regret to inform the readers that quality has seriously declined.
1. Newspaper is no longer delivered to the room. If you want one, you have to go to the front desk to get one. Yes, they are still free, but the walk to the front desk is a nuisance. And, the LA Times is in short supply. We don't read the Wall Street Journal or the New York Times when we are in Coronado.
2. No more free shuttle service to shopping areas. This was a tremendous amenity that is gone without a trace. The round trip cab ride now costs $50.00. Even getting a cab took forever.
3. No more live band on the Sun Deck. "Ron's Garage" played on the Sun Deck for years. No more. Gone and not replaced. What a loss! We would go to the Del just to listen to this band.
4. No more piano player in the lobby bar and no more lobby bar. The bar and the piano player disappeared a few years ago. The area is now dedicated to concierge service. The old concierge area by the front door is vacant. I am sure it will be retail space soon.
5. Our TV did not work for two days. "Connectivity issues" were blamed, but no TV in a luxury hotel? Unacceptable.
KSL resorts took over about 3 years ago and we have noticed a slow decline. This is our last year at the Del. The final straw was an invitation to join the "Club Del." The price made it a close call as to the value. The annual "administrative fee" on top of membership fee made it not worthwhile. The management refused to waive the "administrative fee." Call it what it is -- an extra charge! Treat your guests with some respect. We recognize a padded charge when we see one.
6. A hamburger on the Sun Deck is $15. The same hamburger at Sheer Water is $24.00. Do they think the guest won't notice? It is the same hamburger from the same kitchen! Other prices are just as out of proportion. Margarita on the Deck: $15. At Sheer Water: $22.00.
All in all, this was a disappointing experience for us. We came to expect the best when staying at the Del, and this time we just got the ordinary. Obviously management is more interested in cost shaving and saving than providing a quality experience to the guest.
I don't write negative reviews. This is my first. I regret that it is about a Hotel that we loved for so long. Step it up KSL before it is too late!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The legendary Hotel del Coronado is located on 28 oceanfront acres on Coronado Island. Built in 1888 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1977, The Del continues to maintain its rich history while also offering contemporary conveniences such as unique beachfront dining, an award-winning spa, upscale shopping, recreational activities and the luxurious cottages and villas at Beach Village. The hotel's spectacular setting, impeccable service and award-winning cuisine also makes it the perfect setting for a fairytale wedding. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotelopia, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Hotel del Coronado reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Resort Del Coronado
- Del Coronado