“Not Impressed”

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Apple Valley, California
“Not Impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Let me preface my review with this - we are a young couple who love luxury travel and we don't have kids. Maybe this resort is more geared for families and adventure, but I feel like this is the Disneyland of hotels in San Diego. Meaning it's overpriced, super crowded and average.

I know this is a historical location, but they don't appear to take a lot of pride in the property. The lobby floor in our ocean tower was so dirty and filmy, the carpet in our room was stained, housekeeping didn't clear the dirty cups in our room, they just added new ones, and when they cleaned the bathroom, they took the dirty towels but didn't replace all of the towels or rug. We also had maintenance come to our room to "update" our TV software. They were there for a while and I feel like the hotel should have the common sense to ask before doing this or perform upgrades between guests.

The pool food was pre-packaged and nothing special. The tub is a bathroom/tub combo like at a Holiday Inn... I can only assume this resort charges $500 plus a night for the beachfront location. It is in a prime spot on Coronado Island and there are a lot of activities for the kids.

If you're looking for luxury and cleanliness, beachfront in California, I would recommend the Surf & Sand in Laguna or the Four Seasons Biltmore in Santa Barbara. Rates are comparable and the service, cleanliness and luxury is 5 star. I had always wanted to stay at this resort, but I wouldn't stay here again, not even if I got a deal for $150 a night.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Danielleb314
Dear Danielleb314,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Hotel del Coronado. We take great pride in the old-world charm of our historic hotel, and are disappointed to hear it did not meet your expectations. It sounds like you had a rather uncharacteristic experience with housekeeping, and we appreciate you bringing it to our attention. We will be sharing your review with both housekeeping and maintenance teams to ensure our guest accommodations are being serviced in the most efficient, effective manner possible. We wish you well on all your future travels, and hope you'll choose to stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,258)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

My employer has an annual meeting wherein every employee of every office goes to a nice place to meet for a few days, work on team building exorcises and basically just bond with each other. When I heard that for Summer 2014 we would be meeting at the Hotel Del, I was ecstatic, as I am an amateur ghost hunter and this hotel is notoriously HAUNTED!

The hotel is situated on the small, affluent "Island of Coronado", which is off of San Diego Bay. You get there by taking the Coronado Bridge (Rt 75) over to the island. From Rt 75, you make just one turn (left) onto Orange avenue and drive until you hit the ocean (well, just before you hit the ocean, you should stop :] ). It's about 15 minutes from the bridge.

First glance of the hotel was one of awe. It is a lot bigger than I expected. It was originally built in 1888. My understanding is that a new wing/bungalows was/were added onto the original Victorian era structure. There are also private (very expensive) cabanas available to rent at the far end. We had not trouble parking ($37 p/n self park) and of course, the hotel offers a valet service ($47 p/n) and also by the hour. The valets are awake, aware and pro-active about helping you with your luggage or any other little thing.

Check in was a snap. The only snafu being that I had requested the haunted room (#3327 on the 3rd floor or 3519 on the 5th floor) in the Victorian section, but was given a room in the poolside cabanas. I am not a fan of poolside rooms, as they tend to be full of screaming kids and/or loud thumping music. However, I did not have much trouble with either of these things. The room was fairly well insulated and there were few small children hanging out, while I was in town.

Although I was given the wrong room (the others being booked, at that point), I decided to go along with it and see how things would go. The room was large and clean, bed very comfortable, all the usual amenities....no issues what-so-ever. Our bags were waiting for us in the room when we got there, nothing was lost or delayed. Everything seemed perfectly wonderful, so far.

The room overlooked the main pool area directly in front of us, with a gorgeous view of the beach to our left. No complaints. We could see tourists scampering all throughout the place - it was the first weekend of "official" summer (solstice), but they were not loud, distracting or intrusive. It took us a minute to figure out how to get into and out of our room, as we were able to find the bungalow area fairly easy, but locating our specific room was more of a challenge. We kept going through doors that we figured would get us there, but didn't. Just outside of our room was an elevator to take you to the ground floor (I believe the cabanas are two stories in total). I should mention that there is an "adults only" pool, which wasn't open when we tried to visit it, the main pool (where our room was located) and there are also private pools that one can use with the rental of their very luxurious "private" bungalows (rent for about $7000 per a weekend).

We made our through the main pool area over to the Victorian building and had a look around. It was beautiful and truly amazing. Of course there were shops (fresh made candy, restaurants, pubs - great because our stay coincided with the 2014 world cup games, etc). We did buy some fresh fudge at the candy shop - sooOOo000oooo good! YUM!

There are tennis courts, beach volleyball courts, world class spa services, 24 hr fitness center, jacuzzi's, bike rentals, wet suit rentals, surf board lessons and rentals, meeting/events rooms, on the beach you have various organized activities or if you are the kind who likes to relax, you can rent one of there "cabanas" (covered chair with food/beverage service), etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.....really anything you want is available to you.

I really could not find a thing bad to say about this hotel. The staff was spot on, the food was very good, the range and class of activities offered was top notch, the guests all had big smiling faces..that is what one wants to see when one spends this kind of money for a weekend away. My wife had suffered a pulmonary embolism just days before this trip. I nearly canceled, but decided a few days of spa treatment and sun might be just the thing for her. She had a good time overall, but at one point, she wanted to lay by the (main) pool. The music was a bit too loud for somebody who was trying to relax. She rented a "cabana-ette" to sit out on the beach in her solitude, but even though they are covered chairs, it was still a bit too hot for her. She made her way over to the adult pool, which was not opened yet. At that point the pool manager noticed her looking unhappy. He asked her how he could make her day better. She let him know she was ill and just looking for a quiet place to lay in the sun. He took her to a fantastic location that was beautiful and quiet, but that's not all - he also instructed one of the attendants to check in on her and bring her anything she might need. ...and he did! I am very grateful for the hotel's exceptional treatment of my wife, while I was off doing work activities and she was in such a dark place. I will be writing a heart felt letter of gratitude shortly after I make this posting.

Additionally, with San Diego just across the bridge and all the activities that the Island itself has to offer, you will not want for action or adventure...or peace and quiet if that is your style!

I would recommend this place to anybody, for any reason at any time. The Hotel Del is a WORLD CLASS establishment - end of story!

...and as for the ghosts - my co-workers and I had arranged for a late night ghost hunting excursion, but due to my wife's health - I did not go and I'm not sure if they ever did. However, in between my work activities, we DID find a few minutes to take our compass, our electromagnetic meter (KII Meter), a camera and a digital recorder over to the Victorian building, We headed up to the third floor (we used the stairwell). I turned on the KII and did not get any reading. I walked around the available area, with no luck. We were about to give up on the third floor and make our way to the next level, when the meter suddenly went into the red zone. We both froze in our tracks and began asking if somebody was there with us. The meter died down a bit and then shot back up into the red. I moved away from it and the signal died again. About a second later it went from green to yellow to bright red again (something with an electromagnetic signal was moving towards me). There was nobody else but us on the floor. I literally ran several steps down the stairwell, where minutes earlier, there had not been any signal. The signal on my meter once again died down. We did not receive any other signal for 2-3 minutes. I took several photos (no results) and had no additional readings. At this point, I had to get back to my work activities. But before we left, I tried to make contact once more. The name of the person who is believed to be haunting the 3rd floor is "Kate". I called out, "Kate, is that you?". All of a sudden the meter immediately shot up, all the way to the highest part of the red zone and began to squeal in a high pitched tone. It as at this point that I decided it was time to get back to the beach...where everybody was still alive!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Victorian section of the hotel have a lot more style, but are also a lot more crowded a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LanieFire
Dear LanieFire,

We are so happy to hear that you fell in love with Hotel del Coronado during your visit. Our exceptional service and historic property truly make for a one-of-a-kind experience, and we're pleased to hear that yours was truly memorable. We are pleased to know our staff could assist your wife and help you both feel at ease. We agree that a stay at The Del is perfect for any occasion, work or play and hope you'll join us again soon.
baton rouge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Once again I cannot get enough. We hit the veranda at 2 and stayed til sunset. The drinks were amazing (a little pricey but you are paying for the ambiance) and the food was good as well (cheaper than the drinks). While we were there, we saw brides, sand castles, low flying planes, helicopters, weddings, sunsets, and sooooo many sights. This place makes me feel like a million dollars. Can't afford to stay in the rooms but love to visit the beach bar.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear sheree t,

Thanks for joining us for drinks at Hotel del Coronado. There is so much to see and we're glad that you loved the unique atmosphere of our historic property and the breathtaking views of the beach. Stop by anytime; we'd love to have you.
Salem, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We didn't stay at this hotel but did walk thru. It was beautiful. We also visited the beach area that is behind the hotel and it was very nice and relaxing. Even a little kiddie area in the beach to swim. Worth a visit to see it all while visiting the area.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Casey B,

Thank you for your comments on our beautiful beach and historic hotel. We're proud to offer a fantastic experience for both adults and children. We hope that you'll join us as a guest on a future visit so that you can fully experience our outstanding service and accommodations of Hotel del Coronado.
Claremont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Excellent family experience on the beach. The beach s'mores experience and bike trip were a bonus. You can't beat the morning breakfast in Sheerwater Restaurant, nearly right on the sand with scenery varying from dolphins playing in the surf to U.S. Navy aviators on final approach just a couple hundred feet above the surf. The hotel does need to stay ahead of preventative maintenance issues. The room card key controller's batteries were depleted, locking us out of our room and necessitating a call to security that delayed us for 45 minutes. The room safe also flashed a low battery warning and ended up crashing, fortunately right after I opened it (for the last time). Despite my call to security, the batteries were never replaced during our stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear George K,

Thank you for your recent stay at Hotel del Coronado. We appreciate you letting us know about the maintenance issues you experienced, and we thank you for your patience. There's nothing better than a bike trip around the island and s'mores on the beach; we’re pleased to know those will be wonderful memories for you and your family. It's great to hear that you all had a beautiful vacation, and we hope to have you back soon.
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

My daughter and I recently stayed at the Del to celebrate her 18th birthday and high school graduation. I was a little concerned by some reviews on this site stating that the rooms weren't very nice. We ended up with a lovely room, very clean, with comfortable beds and a nice balcony overlooking the courtyard. The hotel is historic and beautiful and the Del beach experience was amazing! All the staff we encountered were courteous and helpful. We ate at most of the restaurants and the food was always very good. We stayed during the week and it was busy but not overwhelming. I probably wouldn't want to be there over a summer weekend though. I had also read some reviews that said finding taxi service was a hassle, but we never had any trouble catching a cab from the hotel. I had to make several trips to and from the airport and had no problems. it's expensive but I knew that going in and didn't try to nickle and dime my vacation. I would recommend the Hotel Del to friends and would definitely plan another vacation there! You may find more modern luxury at a newer resort but the location and history are what make it all so special.

1 Thank Betsy C
Dear Betsy C,

Thank you for your recent stay and your fantastic review of The Del. Congratulations and happy birthday to your daughter! We couldn't agree more that our hotel’s historic architecture and unique character make every vacation special. We're so pleased that you chose us for this special trip and can't wait to welcome you back.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Our family spent five nights at The Del - my husband and me, with our two teenagers. We had two rooms, and they were very nice. The beds were very comfortable, and the porches off each room were large.

Things I Liked about The Del:
-Great wifi - even on the beach!
-Great staff - Chris at front desk, Ashley, Kris and Aubrey on the beach, Cory, Dina and Alejandra by the adult pool, Veronica in the B&S Bar, and Cassie in the Sheerwater Grill.
-The weather is perfect!!!
-Good housekeeping.
-Outstanding live entertainment - Gonzo in the B&S Bar was terrific. He plays Thursday - Saturday nights.
-Good food! Favorite item was the Eno Salad at Eno.
-Lots of great shops.
-Most beautiful beach! The beach is huge, clean, soft sand, and wonderful. Wonderful beach amenities (all of which you pay for, but they are great.)
-Keurigs in the rooms.
-Fitness Center is nice (but has zero view).
-This is a beautiful and lovely hotel.

Things I Did Not Like at The Del:
-The property, while absolutely beautiful, is ginormous. If you were elderly or traveling with young children, this would be a problem.
-The property is VERY loud. Every word spoken in the hallways and every door slamming are LOUD . If you like to sleep past 7:30am, this is not the place to do so.
-Everything is expensive. S'mores on the beach for one hour cost you over $100. Really? Cocktails are $15, and they're very weak. The rooms are expensive, and have no amenities other than in the bathroom. No newspaper, no mini-bar (although there is a refrigerator in the room), and no turn down service. They do, however, provide water bottles, which is very nice.
-This is a family hotel. However, this is a family with young kids hotel. There was nothing for the teens to do at night - no teen club, no game room, no activities.
-And The Worst - we were awakened our last morning at 8:20am by housekeeping knocking on the door. When I asked if they were required to do this on the day folks check out, the two people said "yes." It seemed like they want to make sure you're up and ready to go before check out. A little bit later, two men knocked on the door asking to work on our tv, which had no problem, but apparently they are switching to a new system. They didn't knock on any other doors on the floor, so again it felt intrusive. We had a flight to catch and had no intent in staying past the Noon check out, but we sure would have enjoyed resting and relaxing our last morning instead of answering the repeated knocks at the door so early in the morning.

In general, I liked The Del, but I would not stay there again. I felt gouged every time I did/ordered anything. I mean, who charges for nuts in the bar?? We stay in luxury hotels, and enjoy the ambiance and extravagance of four and five star hotels. I did not feel the luxury part of The Del, except in the prices. I prefer more luxury, and less noise and crowds.

2 Thank TexasTandE
Dear TexasTandE,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hotel del Coronado. We appreciate all your feedback, and your kind words about our fantastic employees and entertainers. We will pass along the kudos to the individuals you mentioned.

We are concerned, however, to hear about the unpleasant experience on your last day. We agree that you deserve a relaxing end to your stay, and greatly appreciate you bringing the issue to our attention. We strive to provide luxurious accommodations and exceptional service, and regret to know you felt value was lacking throughout your stay. We hope to have another chance to serve you in the future, and show you the true potential of a stay at The Del.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,954 reviews

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!