“Wonderful! ” 5 of 5 bubbles

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,874 helpful votes
“Wonderful! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

What a beautiful place with a most impressive history! The architecture is beautiful, and the displays about their history are fascinating. Even if you don't stay, explore the shops and lobby to enjoy the historic building! Staff are friendly, views are spectacular, and the weather is always lovely in SoCal!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QuickWhitTravel
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear WhitO5214,

We’re so pleased to hear our hotel’s unique architecture and rich history made a lasting impression on you. We always welcome guests and visitors alike to enjoy a drink with a view, explore the lobby and grounds, and shop our fabulous boutiques. Please don’t hesitate to let us know if we can assist with planning a stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

There are only a few "old style" hotels left today. Like the Grand at Mackinac Island, the Seelbach in Louisville, KY to name a few. The Del is right up there at the top. Knowing you are going to get a feel of 100 years ago, when the rooms were intimate ( not small ), the service impeccable, and the beauty that can't be purchased today made this stay one of our favorites in a long time. The staff made us feel welcome and helped us navigate around this spacouis grounds, which is easy to get lost on. The bars and restaurants were good. I love having a choice between a beach ( which is really big ), an adult pool, and a general pool. We tried them all and enjoyed each for their special charm. The only recommendation I would make is to try to park on an adjoining street, which is free and easy to do, as the parking rates are pretty high.

Room Tip: Stay in the original hotel to get the real charm. If you can afford it, the ocean view rooms are fa...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Was pleasantly surprised at the room we were given, it overlooked that gardens and had a huge terrace - great. Hotel is lovely, not so keen on the pool areas. Went on guided walk around the area which took about an hour, the guide was great, interesting tit bits and not a history lesson

Room Tip: the garden rooms are excellent value for money
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Waukesha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

My husband and I went to the Hotel Del Coronado for our 10 year anniversary. Everything was amazing, it was everything we hoped for! The staff was very accommodating, we were able to get into our room before the check in time. The pool was clean; there was plenty of seating, umbrellas and tables. The beach was also clean. Our room overlooked the pool, and the coast, we saw the Navy Seals training the first day! Will def be going back!

Room Tip: We were very satisfied with our room. The view was amazing! It didn't get any better than waking...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Vestal, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Beautiful architecture and grounds, with splendor of on age long gone. Felt like I had been transported back to the gilded age. Lived the facilities and array of services. Once there, there was no need to depart the facility. Hated to leave. Rooms could use some sprucing up to match elegance of facility, but would go back.

Room Tip: Get a room with coastal view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Newport Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I recently stayed with my husband during his business conference. There's a lot that I liked about the hotel and I would recommend it to those who have never been, but the rooms were disappointing, thus the 3 rating.

I'll start with the positives: The staff is excellent. From the valet, the front desk attendant, our housekeeper, to the guy who helped set up my beach chair - everyone was so friendly and helpful. They really want to accommodate their guests to the best of the ability and will go out of their way to do so. The location is also amazing. This isn't one of those beach hotels that you feel like you walk a mile before you even get to the beach. The hotel is big but the setup makes it so the beach is easily accessible and nothing feels too spread out. There is a beautiful stretch of beach in front of the hotel and lots of nearby restaurants. Coronado is a nice, somewhat sleepy beach community which is fun to explore but also right by the Gaslamp District if you want something a little more lively.

My complaint with the hotel was really about the rooms. I am a very light sleeper and read in advance I should request a quieter room. I asked for this at check-in and Christopher really went out of his way to go through all the available rooms to see what would be best. Unfortunately, they were almost at capacity so there wasn't a lot he could do. We ended up in the Ocean Tower (tower being kind of misleading, it's only 7 stories) with a balcony facing the main resort/parking lot. To Christopher's credit, there really wasn't noise from the parking lot, it was from the neighboring rooms and hallways because the walls are very thin. We had a family of 5 in the room next to us and I was treated to their fights over who got to use the bathroom every morning.

The condition of the room was just ok. Very dated furnishings, I would guess it was redone 15 years ago? The closet was in the bathroom which made it very awkward if there was more than one person trying to shower/get dressed. The bathroom door banged into the closet door so you basically had to close yourself in the bathroom to get anything out of the closet, (which by the way smelled moldy). There was only 2 of us and it was difficult, I can't imagine how it was for the family next to us. I saw a few other conference-goers rooms in other parts of the hotel and they were all similarly disappointing. Our room was paid for by work but I think I'd be pretty upset to get a room like that if I paid the prices I see other reviewers quoting.

The hotel is over 100 years old so obviously some things about it will be dated or smaller but overall you can probably overlook that if you appreciate the history. Despite my room complaints, the staff and the gorgeous beach would make me return although probably at a less crowded time of year.

Room Tip: Unfortunately, I think the hotel is lacking in good rooms! Ocean view is key - the view will distra...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for your loyalty and we appreciate your understanding. With a conference stay, we are limited in our room offerings and disheartened with your observations as Ocean Towers was just renovated earlier this year. When you do return to The Del, please consider the Fall when the weather is still perfect and the crowds are gone. Your experience would be markedly different and we look forward to your return.
Mount Sinai, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

My husband and I visited the Hotel del Coronado for dinner one night. We were traveling and decided to eat at Ocean 1500 for dinner. The food was amazing and service was great. However the restaurant never gave us back out credit card. I did not realize until we got back to the our hotel room ( which was in shelter island..like a 25 min drive). I called the front desk and security until someone picked up only to find out that the restaurant was " closed and that any credit cards that we left would be at the front desk". Well after calling the front desk 20 times without any answer, we drove back there. A woman near the security desk told me that the restaurant was closed and the front desk told me they did not have our card. Then we get back to our hotel and have a message that the restaurant has our card.. this was 10 mins after we got back to the hotel...so the restaurant was open the whole time. A supervisor/manager never called me after I complained at the front desk. The lady there told me I was given the wrong information.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Danielle C
Thank you for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed your dinner at our signature restaurant and apologize for the unusual fiasco you experienced afterwards. We will share your comments with our staff in order to reinforce proper procedure and improve communication. We appreciate your valuable feedback and hope you return one day.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,942 reviews

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!