“Some like it hot, some like it $$$$$~~” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Some like it hot, some like it $$$$$~~”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

All that history and glamour with all things organic!

Ahhh- staying here will break your bank but can you really complain? I mean look at all that historic value. There are hotels and then there are HOTELS! This isn't in the latter group but it is still pretty iconic. My favorite and best hotel in the world is in Tokyo, Japan. If that was a five star, this would be a 2-3 stars in comparison. But since you can't compare the two fairly, I'll give this a four stars. 3 stars for the hotel, one extra for that service.

Ambiance- gorgeous coral and white. They had beach villas and they had the hotels. We stayed in the hotel. It is so beautiful. Oh wait- hold the phone. Parking you said? $45 a day only! But you know what you can do?? Park on the street for a whooping $.25 cent per hour. Holy molly!! 25 cents!!! Yes!! Bet nobody gave you that little tip.

Reception and check in process was easy peasy. We came on the weekend and it was packed with wedding, events and all things glitzy. I love the pool that was facing the ocean. It is small enough and big enough at the same time. They have several. The rooms aren't the best/fanciest because they are old. The bed aren't as soft as I wanted. I also didn't get the view because well, couldn't sell my kidneys for it! Ha I kid.

Best part about staying here? Not having to leave the place. You can eat at the Eno pizzeria, their ice creamery or that very expensive starbucks/deli! They also have an uber fancy $85 brunch if you are feeling up for it. I prefer to find my food so I ended up driving all over town and even to the border for it. But but let's get back to that beach and the hotel though. If I were to spend my weekend glamorously popping Moet and Dom, I'd come here and do it. It is pristine,stunning. Service is fantastic. I guess that was it. The service.

I can't really say anything about the food too much since I didn't really eat here. But the food looks fantastic. I did have tea several times while sipping on $$$ mojitos .I was told that they use only the freshest ingredients and all. Hence the prices!

Overall, it is expensive! Guess you do have to pay if you want to get a feel of that history and be a Marilyn for a day. Or feel hot! I loved my beach time here. Guess I didn't need to stay here for it. It is stunning though.There are plenty restaurants down the street as well so it's all good. It's not the best hotel I've stayed at. I prefer the more swankier ones with air condition blasting down my bones in such hot weather.I also prefer to make a fort on my bed with gazillion pillows and super plush throws/comforters.They didn't have all that. Their bathrooms are also cute and pretty but was built for back in the days. Remind me of that one haunted hotel I stayed at in Florida. All majestic and beautiful but so old and creaky. This ones way better thanks to that stunning beach! I also saw bunch of peeps here for a convention! That's the way to go.

Would love to be back if they have specials! Else it is way too expensive for what you get. Think staying in the 5 stars hotel @the highest tower of downtown Tokyo where every single one of their staffs treat you like a queen. I mean picture seriously good looking Japanese men in suits pulling your chair, folding your napkins, straightening your pen, your chair, your hair! Anything you want!! Helping you pack! Yea...that! Or that ahhhmazing Disney hotel with all the magical amenities on the island of Oahu??!! Yea that was worth every penny too. For the same price point, this place didn't measure up. But since you can't bring Tokyo and Aulani to the beaches of Coronado, this takes the cake. Not a 4 stars worthy hotel- not quite 3 stars! But its worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
What an entertaining and informative review! We appreciate your feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed our history, service and beachfront locale. We’re saddened that you didn’t experience the same value as Aulani or Tokyo and will share your comments with our management team. We hope that the next time you find yourself in Coronado, you’ll return to The Del.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,244)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Temecula
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I had stayed at The Hotel Del Coronado before, and Coronado Island is always one of our favorite places to go, so for this special occasion--an Engagement-- I wanted to do something special; it's hard to beat "The Del" for such a memorable occasion. Though normally quite pricey, we received a (relatively) good rate--booking a package deal in advance; note: AAA qualifies for a nice discount too. The Hotel is over 100 years old but kept up very nicely--true old world charm. The grounds are magnificent, and location couldn't be better--in quaint Coronado, right on the beach--voted Top 10 nicest beach destinations. There is plenty to do in Coronado--via trolley, walking distance, and right on the Hotel grounds. Weather is as good as you'll find anywhere. The "Del" staff was able to accommodate about 20 friends and family members on Sunday for breakfast, with good service. Only a couple of drawbacks: 1) parking is a bit difficult and costly--on top of $350-750 room rates. 2) upon booking, the staff mentioned that they could likely bring up some complimentary champagne and strawberries for the special occasion--a very small gesture that could have added special charm--but it never happened (not what I would expect from such a world class resort). Overall, the Hotel Del Coronado is magnificent-- --a "must do".

Room Tip: A view of the Pacific Ocean is the best choice, but even the interior Garden View is a great choice.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
      Location
MILLERSBURG
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I took my Coronado cousin for a good bye drink on the veranda. One small albeit very good pizza, one small caprese salad, and 3 drinks was $76.00. Ok it's the Del. It's pricey. But for all that, the a service was artrocious. The first waiter went home and no one appeared for 20 minutes. The next waiter spent his time at the entrance with the hostess and a bikini girl. Even my cousin who has lived on Coronado for many years and is used to the ridiculous prices was frustrated with the sub par service.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank SCOTT A
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience, which I believe was at ENO given the menu items. We strive to provide legendary service and we apologize that we certainly fell short. We will share your comments with the appropriate management team and appreciate your valuable input.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,873 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

What a beautiful place with a most impressive history! The architecture is beautiful, and the displays about their history are fascinating. Even if you don't stay, explore the shops and lobby to enjoy the historic building! Staff are friendly, views are spectacular, and the weather is always lovely in SoCal!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QuickWhitTravel
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear WhitO5214,

We’re so pleased to hear our hotel’s unique architecture and rich history made a lasting impression on you. We always welcome guests and visitors alike to enjoy a drink with a view, explore the lobby and grounds, and shop our fabulous boutiques. Please don’t hesitate to let us know if we can assist with planning a stay.
Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

There are only a few "old style" hotels left today. Like the Grand at Mackinac Island, the Seelbach in Louisville, KY to name a few. The Del is right up there at the top. Knowing you are going to get a feel of 100 years ago, when the rooms were intimate ( not small ), the service impeccable, and the beauty that can't be purchased today made this stay one of our favorites in a long time. The staff made us feel welcome and helped us navigate around this spacouis grounds, which is easy to get lost on. The bars and restaurants were good. I love having a choice between a beach ( which is really big ), an adult pool, and a general pool. We tried them all and enjoyed each for their special charm. The only recommendation I would make is to try to park on an adjoining street, which is free and easy to do, as the parking rates are pretty high.

Room Tip: Stay in the original hotel to get the real charm. If you can afford it, the ocean view rooms are fa...
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Was pleasantly surprised at the room we were given, it overlooked that gardens and had a huge terrace - great. Hotel is lovely, not so keen on the pool areas. Went on guided walk around the area which took about an hour, the guide was great, interesting tit bits and not a history lesson

Room Tip: the garden rooms are excellent value for money
Waukesha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

My husband and I went to the Hotel Del Coronado for our 10 year anniversary. Everything was amazing, it was everything we hoped for! The staff was very accommodating, we were able to get into our room before the check in time. The pool was clean; there was plenty of seating, umbrellas and tables. The beach was also clean. Our room overlooked the pool, and the coast, we saw the Navy Seals training the first day! Will def be going back!

Room Tip: We were very satisfied with our room. The view was amazing! It didn't get any better than waking...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,942 reviews

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!