“Disappointing”

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Brush Prairie
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 4 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Del for our 20th anniversary. It is a beautiful historic hotel with a fabulous location, but aside from that we were not impressed. We had high expectations based on what we had heard and the price of the rooms (very expensive). The Lobby was beautiful and it looked like it was starting off great.

When we checked in, we learned that it cost an additional $25 per day for parking, and $25 per day to use the hotel ammenties (pools, common areas, internet, etc.). We stayed in the Ocean towers which as we understand it are not part of the original hotel. We had a full ocean view which was great. The hallways and room however, were old and not very well maintained. It wasn't terribly clean either.

We were hoping for a wonderful experience, but were very dissapointed. We felt nickled and dimed and did not feel like we were staying at a high end resort. They are all about the name and the money...somewhere along the way they have forgotten how to create a wonderful experience for their guests. Pick somewhere else to stay and visit the hotel to see the grounds...it is open to the public.

We did have a couple of fabulous dinners though. If you visit Coronodo Island, both are a must. Candelas on the Bay is wonderfully romantic with a stunning view of the city. The food was amazing and the service even better. The other must do is Vigilucci's. Again, wonderful ambiance, and amazing food and wine. We had a mushroom pasta dish that was to die for. They also had phenominal service.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
az
Reviewed 31 August 2009

this hotel is old ,outdated,way too crowded and way too overpriced' $25 for coffee in your room everything is extra. $33 plus $5 for parking because this island is so crowded there is no place to park. Forget about renting a bike too much traffic. I was so disappointed after there ads. no way

2 Thank AzUnhappy
Belmont Shore, California
Reviewed 28 August 2009

This was my second stay this month, and our two nights just weren't long enough! The Junior Suite was offered to us at a special rate that turned out to be very comfortable. The bedding, sheets and towels were exceptonal. Though the shower/bath was relatively small for a suite, the overall bathroom was large.

This is a 121 year-old resort property with many modern amenities. But there was, at times, the sound of creeking floor boards from above our room.

Overall, breakfast was pricey and nothing special. The mushroom quiche, however, was very good. Lunch at the Sheerwater restaurant was superb. My grape salad at $19.00 was worth every penny. As lobster bisques go, they tend to be overly salty and typically artificial tasting without the unique flavor of lobster. Their bisque was some of the finest that I've had in years.

The front desk seems to have a chronic issue with understaffing as I watched frustrated guests wait in long lines at both check in/out.

The fee for parking is excessive at $25.00 per night. We parked on the street during our stay.

Texas
Reviewed 27 August 2009

$$$$$$, Friday neighbors woke us up at 5:30 shouting, Saturday hotel picketers marching between hotel and beach for 12 hours with bullhorns/sirens and then guest screaming obscenity to picketers (not for the ears of a two year old) and the third morning, Sunday, fire strobe light going off 5 a.m., (so up early again)coffee pot was never cleaned out, glasses just rinsed, hard to find parking even though you are paying for it, food was just okay for the price, conversations from other rooms sound like they are in the room with you! The hotel gave $75.00 credit for the day of picketing, but you had to get a letter or you would never have known about it. We had three rooms and only 1 room got the letter. We had to get my other rooms adjusted because no one came by. People we met in the elevator had not idea they were to get a $75.00 credit. When I was getting my other rooms credited, the front desk told us that everyone got a letter under their door.........Sorry, but this was a lie......This hotel ruined our vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Checked out early and went elsewhere where we had a good time! Too bad we waited so long to check out. Also, we were told by someone that the picketers had been coming for several weekends. Did the hotel tell us this ahead of time? Definitely not!

Tuscon, Arizona
Reviewed 26 August 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed here and had an unbelievable time! The architecture was incredible and we loved the beach, the pool and the service. Our room was large and beautifully decorated This was truly a 5 star property at a 3 star rate.

edmonton
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Our room was not ready when we checked in at 2pm so we left our number and went for a bite to eat. We never got a call that our room was ready but I thought that I would check anyway. They gave us a room in the ocean towers. Not that nice of a room and it kind of felt like we were in a super 8 motel or something. Even though we paid for oceanfront we had a building to the right of us and shrubs and trees in front so not as nice as I was hoping for. The front desk had said they would move us the next day to a room in the California cabanas next door. We waited until later in the afternoon for them to call about our move but they did not so we called. It kind of spoiled our day abit waiting to move but the second room view was nice. The room though was about the same as the first one. I'm not sure what the rooms inside the victorian building look like but I don't get the historic feeling of the Del staying in these newer California cabanas. It is very expensive to stay here and many people including myself need to have a really great experience in order to return as there are so many more hotels and resorts to stay in. I found the location of the hotel perfect with it being right on the beach. The beach is one of the nicest I have seen in California and it never felt crowded. The navy seals were training one morning on the beach and that is the fastest I have ever seen my 18 year old daughter wake up in the morning. She thought it was pretty cool to watch and of course they are in top shape. The fitness room is free to use for hotel guests and is very nice. If you want to use the steam room or relaxation lounges you need to have a spa appointment booked or pay $55 per day. They had massages on special for $99(reg $165) . That was hands down the best massage I have ever had including at the Ritz in Vegas.(make sure you ask for Kayla). My husband and daughter had one the next day. I used the rest of the spa facilities as well and it was a really beautiful enviroment. We ate at 1500 ocean avenue for my husband's 50th birhday. The food was good but I would not say it was great. We all had the tasting menu and I just didn't feel the meal was worth almost $300 for the four of us. The service was good though and our waiter had worked at 1500 ocean for a very long time and was full of information. They sat us outside on the covered patio which he said is a newer addition to the restaurant. A very nice view of the ocean and just the perfect spot to sit. They take very good care of the hotel grounds. The shops are neat to walk through but very expensive. You don't have to eat at the hotel. There seemed to be a lot of people opting to walk to Orange avenue to eat at the resturants there. We ate at La Salsa mexican food a couple of times. It's like a mexican subway. Very good meals and made fresh. We had moo time ice cream on Orange avenue. If you go to the one at the Del you will pay twice the price. All in all I liked the Del. Not sure if I would return ever unless I got a really good deal on the rooms and even then I don't know because staying at the Del in the California cabanas doesn't really feel very historic. I did feel the service could have been alittle better in all areas from the front desk to housekeeping. Nothing really stood out for service and it should as people are paying a pretty penny to stay here. The hotel is very beautiful and just to be able to even have a visit for a few hours. It's really cool to think that many many people have stayed in this hotel and walked here and now you're on that list. Just to experience the feeling of the Del is worth the trip.

Clearwater, FL
Reviewed 22 August 2009

My wife wanted to stay at this hotel for nearly 20 years. After putting aside some… a lot of money, we went for our 20th anniversary along with our seven-year-old daughter.

Before leaving, my wife called the main number and asked if we would need reservations for dinning or kid’s activities. We were told that as guests of the hotel, we wouldn’t need them and it wouldn’t be a problem. Wrong! Dinning without a reservation was a problem and the kid’s camp was “fully booked” when we called to sign up our daughter.

Although the accommodations are nice, the hotel was crowded with so many kids, that it had exactly the same overwhelming feel as Disney World.

For the evening of our 20th anniversary we went to the “signature” restaurant 1500 Ocean. My daughter had taken a late nap, so we arrived shortly after 8:00 pm. Although, most of the tables were empty, we were told it would be a few minutes before we could be seated, because we didn’t have a reservation. After we were seated, it took a long, long time to get something to drink, some bread and to place our order. In fact my wife, who has the patient of a saint, began debating as to whether we should just leave and go to the “casual” restaurant, Shearwater instead.

In all, the meal took nearly two hours and we were forced to make at least three comments to staff about the inattentive service including asking twice for a waiter to come by the table. The food was good, but I am not exaggerating when I say that the service at our local Cracker Barrel is exponentially more attentive than what we endured at 1500 Ocean. Given the cost and ballyhoo associated with this “signature” establishment, the level of service was so far beyond unacceptable that I can’t begin to put it into words. The fact that the restaurant was nearly empty leads us to wonder how much worse service must be when it’s busy. Bottom line: Unless you want to spend an enormous amount of time and money for poor service, eat somewhere else. Shearwater was a much better experience, though only the dress is casual, NOT the prices. The best dinning experience we found was a place across the street called the Brigantine Seafood House. It was everything 1500 Ocean wasn’t and even though it was crowded, service was excellent as was the food.

Perhaps the most amazing part of our stay was when a fire alarm was triggered one afternoon. After my wife fled the premises with our daughter, she was actually admonished by concierge who told her that she should have waited in the room for instructions and that it would be a really “bad thing” if all of the guests headed for the exits upon hearing the fire alarm. Are you kidding me?!

I usually stay in average hotels when I travel (2-3 diamonds) and once a year, we try to go somewhere really nice like the Greenbrier or Grand. Overall, I’m not demanding and generally easygoing, but based on the five nights we spent at the Del, we have no desire to return.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 16 in Coronado

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!