“Gorgeous setting”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 5 September 2009

We were married at the Del and have been frequent visitors over the years. We enjoy staying here very much. However, over the last 4 - 5 years the renovations that have taken place have not stayed true to the fact that this hotel is indeed a historical landmark. The modernizing of the hotel seems to lessen it's charm. That being said, the rooms are well appointed with the exception of the mattress (in dire need of a new one!) and each room is unique with it's layout and size. The room we stayed in did renovate the bathroom floor in a way that was reminiscent of the original floors, which we did appreciate. We had an excellent view (worth paying for) and were very comfortable.
Breakfast was a 2 for 1 deal. Which comes out to about $15 per person after tax and tip. Which frankly, is still expensive. It's a decent buffet with ample selections, but the quality was mediocre. The views however, are stunning. We did not order room service as it was ridiculously expensive. We ate most of our meals off the property, and we highly recommend the Rhinocerous Cafe which is a very short walk down Orange Ave. The ice cream place (Moo Time) is delicious and fun. We also visited ENO (their new wine, cheese and chocolate bar). They had a Tuesday Tasting which was 10 wine tastings for $10. it was a great value and a lot of fun. However, you get to your 4th tasting and start looking at the cheese and chocolate. A flight of chocolate is $12, and you get three bites of chocolate (although they were awesome, we got the caramel flight). A cheese flight was $18 and definitely had more to it. You get a chunk of 3 different cheeses, 2 types of bread, and some delicious almonds. It was all very good, we totally recommend it.
The shopping at the hotel is very fun, as is the shopping along Orange Ave. and at the wharf.
The best part of the trip was our balcony. We had a full ocean view and it was absolutely stunning. The beach in front of the hotel is also amazing. The sand glitters as if there are flecks of gold in it. There is a lovely board walk and we even enjoy walking through the local neighborhoods. We also visited Wag's N Tails which is the Island pet store. They have an awesome selection of dog collars, bowls, toys, etc. We highly recommend this to any pet lovers!!!!! We also make sure to head over to the wharf and visit the Clayton Galleries and walk through the shops over there. You can also catch the ferry over to San Diego from there.
The hotel is beautiful, and for us very sentimental. Visitors should be aware that it can be a very very very noisy hotel. The value isn't quite there (the resort fee includes internet access and access to the fitness room, but parking is $25/day for self park!), but we would still recommend the stay and we will be returning again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank happybeachluvr
Write a ReviewReviews (5,621)

Reviewed 4 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Del for our 20th anniversary. It is a beautiful historic hotel with a fabulous location, but aside from that we were not impressed. We had high expectations based on what we had heard and the price of the rooms (very expensive). The Lobby was beautiful and it looked like it was starting off great.

When we checked in, we learned that it cost an additional $25 per day for parking, and $25 per day to use the hotel ammenties (pools, common areas, internet, etc.). We stayed in the Ocean towers which as we understand it are not part of the original hotel. We had a full ocean view which was great. The hallways and room however, were old and not very well maintained. It wasn't terribly clean either.

We were hoping for a wonderful experience, but were very dissapointed. We felt nickled and dimed and did not feel like we were staying at a high end resort. They are all about the name and the money...somewhere along the way they have forgotten how to create a wonderful experience for their guests. Pick somewhere else to stay and visit the hotel to see the grounds...it is open to the public.

We did have a couple of fabulous dinners though. If you visit Coronodo Island, both are a must. Candelas on the Bay is wonderfully romantic with a stunning view of the city. The food was amazing and the service even better. The other must do is Vigilucci's. Again, wonderful ambiance, and amazing food and wine. We had a mushroom pasta dish that was to die for. They also had phenominal service.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2009

this hotel is old ,outdated,way too crowded and way too overpriced' $25 for coffee in your room everything is extra. $33 plus $5 for parking because this island is so crowded there is no place to park. Forget about renting a bike too much traffic. I was so disappointed after there ads. no way

2  Thank AzUnhappy
Reviewed 28 August 2009

This was my second stay this month, and our two nights just weren't long enough! The Junior Suite was offered to us at a special rate that turned out to be very comfortable. The bedding, sheets and towels were exceptonal. Though the shower/bath was relatively small for a suite, the overall bathroom was large.

This is a 121 year-old resort property with many modern amenities. But there was, at times, the sound of creeking floor boards from above our room.

Overall, breakfast was pricey and nothing special. The mushroom quiche, however, was very good. Lunch at the Sheerwater restaurant was superb. My grape salad at $19.00 was worth every penny. As lobster bisques go, they tend to be overly salty and typically artificial tasting without the unique flavor of lobster. Their bisque was some of the finest that I've had in years.

The front desk seems to have a chronic issue with understaffing as I watched frustrated guests wait in long lines at both check in/out.

The fee for parking is excessive at $25.00 per night. We parked on the street during our stay.

Reviewed 27 August 2009

$$$$$$, Friday neighbors woke us up at 5:30 shouting, Saturday hotel picketers marching between hotel and beach for 12 hours with bullhorns/sirens and then guest screaming obscenity to picketers (not for the ears of a two year old) and the third morning, Sunday, fire strobe light going off 5 a.m., (so up early again)coffee pot was never cleaned out, glasses just rinsed, hard to find parking even though you are paying for it, food was just okay for the price, conversations from other rooms sound like they are in the room with you! The hotel gave $75.00 credit for the day of picketing, but you had to get a letter or you would never have known about it. We had three rooms and only 1 room got the letter. We had to get my other rooms adjusted because no one came by. People we met in the elevator had not idea they were to get a $75.00 credit. When I was getting my other rooms credited, the front desk told us that everyone got a letter under their door.........Sorry, but this was a lie......This hotel ruined our vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Checked out early and went elsewhere where we had a good time! Too bad we waited so long to check out. Also, we were told by someone that the picketers had been coming for several weekends. Did the hotel tell us this ahead of time? Definitely not!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed here and had an unbelievable time! The architecture was incredible and we loved the beach, the pool and the service. Our room was large and beautifully decorated This was truly a 5 star property at a 3 star rate.

Reviewed 25 August 2009

Our room was not ready when we checked in at 2pm so we left our number and went for a bite to eat. We never got a call that our room was ready but I thought that I would check anyway. They gave us a room in the ocean towers. Not that nice of a room and it kind of felt like we were in a super 8 motel or something. Even though we paid for oceanfront we had a building to the right of us and shrubs and trees in front so not as nice as I was hoping for. The front desk had said they would move us the next day to a room in the California cabanas next door. We waited until later in the afternoon for them to call about our move but they did not so we called. It kind of spoiled our day abit waiting to move but the second room view was nice. The room though was about the same as the first one. I'm not sure what the rooms inside the victorian building look like but I don't get the historic feeling of the Del staying in these newer California cabanas. It is very expensive to stay here and many people including myself need to have a really great experience in order to return as there are so many more hotels and resorts to stay in. I found the location of the hotel perfect with it being right on the beach. The beach is one of the nicest I have seen in California and it never felt crowded. The navy seals were training one morning on the beach and that is the fastest I have ever seen my 18 year old daughter wake up in the morning. She thought it was pretty cool to watch and of course they are in top shape. The fitness room is free to use for hotel guests and is very nice. If you want to use the steam room or relaxation lounges you need to have a spa appointment booked or pay $55 per day. They had massages on special for $99(reg $165) . That was hands down the best massage I have ever had including at the Ritz in Vegas.(make sure you ask for Kayla). My husband and daughter had one the next day. I used the rest of the spa facilities as well and it was a really beautiful enviroment. We ate at 1500 ocean avenue for my husband's 50th birhday. The food was good but I would not say it was great. We all had the tasting menu and I just didn't feel the meal was worth almost $300 for the four of us. The service was good though and our waiter had worked at 1500 ocean for a very long time and was full of information. They sat us outside on the covered patio which he said is a newer addition to the restaurant. A very nice view of the ocean and just the perfect spot to sit. They take very good care of the hotel grounds. The shops are neat to walk through but very expensive. You don't have to eat at the hotel. There seemed to be a lot of people opting to walk to Orange avenue to eat at the resturants there. We ate at La Salsa mexican food a couple of times. It's like a mexican subway. Very good meals and made fresh. We had moo time ice cream on Orange avenue. If you go to the one at the Del you will pay twice the price. All in all I liked the Del. Not sure if I would return ever unless I got a really good deal on the rooms and even then I don't know because staying at the Del in the California cabanas doesn't really feel very historic. I did feel the service could have been alittle better in all areas from the front desk to housekeeping. Nothing really stood out for service and it should as people are paying a pretty penny to stay here. The hotel is very beautiful and just to be able to even have a visit for a few hours. It's really cool to think that many many people have stayed in this hotel and walked here and now you're on that list. Just to experience the feeling of the Del is worth the trip.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
Pantai Inn
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 286 in San Diego

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!