“Wonderful”

1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Trust all of the positive reviews, the hotel is absolutely wonderful, and really made our time in san diego worthwhile.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Thanks for adding to our positive reviews!

Reviewed 1 July 2012

Fabulous decor and amazing ambience. 1906 is at the pinnacle of hotel perfection. The personal service of the staff and the at home feel is priceless. Why spend a half a thousand dollars a night when you could spend 2 or 3 hundred? I love the active duty discount as well. You won't get a better breakfast in town that's free! If you're looking for a family friendly, social atmosphere that's 2 minutes from the beach, this is your place. I'll most definitely be back again. Thanks 1906 for making my 7th wedding anniversary an unexpected yet delightful second honeymoon experience.

My only critique is, if possible, please add a sausage or bacon to the breakfast menu.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Sirzog

I'm glad we were able to make your anniversary a second honeymoon. That is high praise!

We love hosting active duty military and always try to give them discounts or free upgrades.

We just added a new breakfast entree with vegetarian sausage. You'll have to come back and give us a critique! We serve it on Thursday mornings.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

The 1906 Lodge was an exceptional hotel for our recent stay in Coronado. My wife and I spent our three year wedding anniversary there for four days.

We arrived at 230pm and were informed check in was 4pm, possibly 330- not a problem since the location of the hotel was so central. You are just a block from Orange street, the Hotel Del and all of the shops. The innkeeper (what the hotel staff is called) gave us a parking key so we could put our car in the underground, clean, free parking garage- this is a major plus among the hotels in Coronado. You could spend $30 per day at Hotel Del alone on parking. Note: they even provided a neat little window washing station with Windex and paper towels to clean your windows! Also regarding the location, it's in a residential neighborhood which is great, totally quiet there at night.

We chose the Trolley Car room. When checking in the innkeeper took us on a tour of the grounds including our room. They had champagne, chocolates and roses in a vase in the room for us upon arrival for our anniversary (extra charge but worth it). The room was spotless, I am a germ-a-phob.  No scuffs on the walls, no dirty comforters, no mold in the shower. The bed was comfortable, pillows soft, we brought our own because we are picky. Towels were soft, not riddled with bleach like most hotels. The showerhead lacked water pressure which I am sure is a result of a water saving feature. No biggie, just shower longer. There was also a jetted tub- awesome. The room also had a small fridge and a bar sink. The TV was an LCD Vizio, Time Warner cable (which was HD) and a DVD player. You can simply walk down to the main lobby area and borrow a DVD if you wish. There are no traditional hotel on demand movies in the room.

Breakfast was great. You can go between 8 and 10, hot entrees were served after 830. The portions were perfect. One morning was scrambled eggs, the next was carrot cake pancakes, the next was a Mediterranean quiche, all great. Wine and small bites served from 5-6. Good opportunity to chat with others.

We went to the beach twice, the innkeepers will loan you towels, chairs, and an umbrella with a tote bag for the beach. Everything about this place was so simple. It really felt like you were at a really nice friends house, it was truly forgettable that you were at a hotel. In fact, the check in area is not typical of a hotel. It's just a simple desk where the nice ladies who run the place meet you to check in. There are no crazy phones ringing and bell hops running about. Just simple. We are in our late twenties- we had apprehensions about going to a bed and breakfast, we were a bit nervous we would be younger compared to the other guests. Let me assure you there were younger people here, we felt great.

Overall this was one of the best vacations we have ever had. When we come back to Coronado there is no doubt I will stay here again, in the same room.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nimisis303
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Wow, you really covered all the bases! Thank you ever so much for your glowing review.

One of the reasons for a 4:00 PM check-in is that my housekeepers spend up to 2 hours cleaning a suite. Everything is cleaned professionally every time the room or suite is rented. Thank you for recognizing the end result!

I believe the sheets and towels are so soft because I chose linens that I use in my home and they are washed with gentle detergent. As you said, we want guests to feel like they are staying at a really nice friend's home.

We hope to serve you again soon!

Reviewed 27 June 2012

My family and I stayed at the 1906 Lodge last week while on vacation in San Diego! We stayed in the Star Park Room and it was GREAT! The room was spotless and every night they'd come in and turn down the beds (including making up the sofa couch for my two young daughters) -and leave us some chocolates! The bathroom was amazing -shower and HUGE soaker/jacuzzi tub. The bed was super comfy and my girls said the sleeper sofa was good too! It had a nice porch with cute wicker patio furniture that my husband and I could sit on at night and relax after putting the girls to bed. But what really takes the cake? The amazing breakfasts! So good -so many choices and the hot entree that changed daily was always excellent! Staff was super accomodating always ready to give reccommendations for stuff to see/do, places to eat and even printing our plane boarding passes and delivering them to our room! I will definately stay here again next time we vacation in San Diego! Thanks 1906 Lodge for an awesome stay!

Room Tip: ANY room you choose here will be awesome!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank NEgal428
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

I'm glad the girls were able to get a good night's sleeper on the sofabed! I invested in high end sleeper sofas because I hate uncomfortable ones. You don't need cranky kids when you're on vacation!

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Lived up to all the praises... incredibly clean, off-the-beaten-path quiet (you won't hear rowdy partying here, if that's in your plan don't come here!)... excellent breakfast.

Minor issue with the heating/cooling controls that wouldn't keep the temp at what we selected.

We weren't looking for a pool or to be right on the beach, but if you are, this wouldn't be the right choice.

Don't think they need the reminder printed on the key card to vote on Tripadvisor, or the ad on the desk, "if you love the lodge, buy a room." (some sort of time share arrangement)

Room Tip: if stairs are an issue, avoid the second floor. No elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed our quiet hideaway and our home made breakfasts!

Reviewed 22 June 2012

Just stayed here 4 days, everything was great, the location, the room, the people. My only complaints, we were on the second floor and my wife packs way too much, her suitcase weighed about 70 pounds, no elevator. The only real problem was getting out of the underground parking lot, it's very tight and I scraped by bumper on the wall.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Oops! I'm sorry to hear that you scraped your bumper. Our exit is rather narrow. We had to sacrifice a bit of width on the ramp to maximize the number of underground parking spaces. I'm glad everything else went well!

Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed in San Diego several years ago & fell in love with the City but in particular Coronado & were determind to come back one day. We finally managed to come back (from England) for 3 nights in May. We did our homework & chose to stay at 1906 & we were not disappointed. The Lodge is just lovely & evereything their website displays & the great reviews on this site are spot on. It is unique, interesting, very clean, comfortable beds, attention to detail great & also very peaceful. The wine & cheese offered in the afternoon is a good idea & helps you to meet other guests. Good choice of breakfast so you can have as little of as much as you need Of couse its location means you can walk anywhere you want to on Coronado with its delightful shops great choice of reastaurants. 1906 is very similar to a B&B we have used in St Ives Cornwall England, which we also love & has the same high standards & ambience which helped us to choose to stay here. Finally a thank you & well done to the staff who help make 1906 such a great place & as a consequence made our vacation truly memorable.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Thank you for choosing us for your return visit from England.

One of my favorite times of the day is 5 PM when we serve wine and snacks. I love to hear the chatter and laughter of guests getting to know one another and sharing experiences of Coronado.

I hope you won't have to wait several years to come back again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Downtown
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado

Been to 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!