“A True Gem!”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Naugatuck, Connecticut
“A True Gem!”
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We just enjoyed a glorious  week at the 1906 Lodge!  What a wonderful experience..immaculate room, plush bedding, very attentive innkeepers (but not intrusive), gourmet breakfasts, beautiful landscaping, terrific location! The lodge is intimate but roomy enough for privacy and it's located in a residential area which means it's very quiet and peaceful. We had free wi-fi and parking...very rare in Coronado! We really couldn't have asked for anything more.  We stayed in The Plunge, but I'm sure any room would be great. We enjoyed our breakfasts out on the porch each morning...freshly made baked goods, fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, juices, and a different hot entree each day! In the afternoon we had wine, fruit and cheese. The innkeepers were so friendly and helpful. We were given great suggestions for day trips and restaurants. We have stayed at many B&Bs and luxury hotels but have never been as spoiled! The beach is only a short walk, and they provided a beach chair and beach bag with beach towels. The attention to detail is amazing! Our flight home wasn't until 9:00 PM, but they stowed our bags for us while we walked around town and had lunch. When we got back to the lodge in the afternoon, we had tea in the parlor and chatted with Susan and Denese before leaving for the airport. It really felt like we were visiting family rather than staying in a lodge. Where else do you get a hug good-bye with a "Come again soon!"

Room Tip: We stayed in The Plunge on the first floor looking out on the reflecting pool. It was spacious and c...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Debbie723
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
I'm glad you were able to stay with us for a whole week! It always takes me several days to truly unwind and start to enjoy my vacation. Thank you for you kind comments about our attention to detail and the spoiling you received from my innkeepers! They truly enjoy their work and hosting guests in our wonderful town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Hollywood
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Thank you to Susan and Sue, and their entire attentive, lovely and knowledgable staff for making our first vacation in five long years a perfect experience in every way!

It's not easy to make everyone happy in our family, but my husband, teenage daughter and 10-year old son thanked me more than a few times for booking our stay here. From the lush and immaculate gardens surrounding the property, easy walking to beach and shopping, delectable breakfasts (vegetarian!), charming and comfortable rooms, fabulous deep tub (wow!) and much, much more - we loved every minute and will be back many times.

Room Tip: The Star Park room is very spacious with a king bed and pull-out couch - good for families.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Lisa K
5 years since your last vacation! That's not fair! We hope to see you and your family in the near future.

P.S. Glad you enjoyed the huge spa tub in the Star Park Suite!
california
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We just returned from a lovely weekend at the 1906 Lodge. The lovely landscaping, charming front porch, and hospitable owner greeted us upon our arrival. We stayed in The Landing in the new building. As it was the weekend before the 4th of July, Coronado's biggest holiday, we were surprised at how quiet it was at the Lodge. Even with full capacity, we could relax and enjoy some peaceful time.
We had our 11 month old daughter with us and I wasn't sure how that would work at a b and b, but the staff was very accommodating, the other guests were glad to see her, and with the way the hotel is built, I don't think she disturbed anyone else.
There are many quaint places to sit and linger around the property. The breakfast was fantastic. The underground parking gave us one less thing to worry about and we could easily walk around downtown Coronado from the Lodge. We watched the fireworks at the Hotel Del from our bed, which was a great way to kick off the fourth of July week.
Very minor complaint: There was only turn-down service one night-- I wasn't sure if that was supposed to happen every night. It wasn't a deal-breaker for us, just wondering what happened. Overall, I would highly recommend the Lodge for peace and quiet in the middle of charming Coronado.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Christy H
I'm glad you had a peaceful getaway! And I'm sorry we missed your turndown one night. With a baby, we might have been reluctant to knock!

Even with a full house, it is usually pretty calm and peaceful at the 1906 Lodge. We try to do everything we can to help our guests relax!
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Trust all of the positive reviews, the hotel is absolutely wonderful, and really made our time in san diego worthwhile.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thanks for adding to our positive reviews!
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Fabulous decor and amazing ambience. 1906 is at the pinnacle of hotel perfection. The personal service of the staff and the at home feel is priceless. Why spend a half a thousand dollars a night when you could spend 2 or 3 hundred? I love the active duty discount as well. You won't get a better breakfast in town that's free! If you're looking for a family friendly, social atmosphere that's 2 minutes from the beach, this is your place. I'll most definitely be back again. Thanks 1906 for making my 7th wedding anniversary an unexpected yet delightful second honeymoon experience.

My only critique is, if possible, please add a sausage or bacon to the breakfast menu.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Sirzog
I'm glad we were able to make your anniversary a second honeymoon. That is high praise!

We love hosting active duty military and always try to give them discounts or free upgrades.

We just added a new breakfast entree with vegetarian sausage. You'll have to come back and give us a critique! We serve it on Thursday mornings.
Reviewed 29 June 2012

The 1906 Lodge was an exceptional hotel for our recent stay in Coronado. My wife and I spent our three year wedding anniversary there for four days.

We arrived at 230pm and were informed check in was 4pm, possibly 330- not a problem since the location of the hotel was so central. You are just a block from Orange street, the Hotel Del and all of the shops. The innkeeper (what the hotel staff is called) gave us a parking key so we could put our car in the underground, clean, free parking garage- this is a major plus among the hotels in Coronado. You could spend $30 per day at Hotel Del alone on parking. Note: they even provided a neat little window washing station with Windex and paper towels to clean your windows! Also regarding the location, it's in a residential neighborhood which is great, totally quiet there at night.

We chose the Trolley Car room. When checking in the innkeeper took us on a tour of the grounds including our room. They had champagne, chocolates and roses in a vase in the room for us upon arrival for our anniversary (extra charge but worth it). The room was spotless, I am a germ-a-phob.  No scuffs on the walls, no dirty comforters, no mold in the shower. The bed was comfortable, pillows soft, we brought our own because we are picky. Towels were soft, not riddled with bleach like most hotels. The showerhead lacked water pressure which I am sure is a result of a water saving feature. No biggie, just shower longer. There was also a jetted tub- awesome. The room also had a small fridge and a bar sink. The TV was an LCD Vizio, Time Warner cable (which was HD) and a DVD player. You can simply walk down to the main lobby area and borrow a DVD if you wish. There are no traditional hotel on demand movies in the room.

Breakfast was great. You can go between 8 and 10, hot entrees were served after 830. The portions were perfect. One morning was scrambled eggs, the next was carrot cake pancakes, the next was a Mediterranean quiche, all great. Wine and small bites served from 5-6. Good opportunity to chat with others.

We went to the beach twice, the innkeepers will loan you towels, chairs, and an umbrella with a tote bag for the beach. Everything about this place was so simple. It really felt like you were at a really nice friends house, it was truly forgettable that you were at a hotel. In fact, the check in area is not typical of a hotel. It's just a simple desk where the nice ladies who run the place meet you to check in. There are no crazy phones ringing and bell hops running about. Just simple. We are in our late twenties- we had apprehensions about going to a bed and breakfast, we were a bit nervous we would be younger compared to the other guests. Let me assure you there were younger people here, we felt great.

Overall this was one of the best vacations we have ever had. When we come back to Coronado there is no doubt I will stay here again, in the same room.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nimisis303
, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
Wow, you really covered all the bases! Thank you ever so much for your glowing review.

One of the reasons for a 4:00 PM check-in is that my housekeepers spend up to 2 hours cleaning a suite. Everything is cleaned professionally every time the room or suite is rented. Thank you for recognizing the end result!

I believe the sheets and towels are so soft because I chose linens that I use in my home and they are washed with gentle detergent. As you said, we want guests to feel like they are staying at a really nice friend's home.

We hope to serve you again soon!
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 27 June 2012

My family and I stayed at the 1906 Lodge last week while on vacation in San Diego! We stayed in the Star Park Room and it was GREAT! The room was spotless and every night they'd come in and turn down the beds (including making up the sofa couch for my two young daughters) -and leave us some chocolates! The bathroom was amazing -shower and HUGE soaker/jacuzzi tub. The bed was super comfy and my girls said the sleeper sofa was good too! It had a nice porch with cute wicker patio furniture that my husband and I could sit on at night and relax after putting the girls to bed. But what really takes the cake? The amazing breakfasts! So good -so many choices and the hot entree that changed daily was always excellent! Staff was super accomodating always ready to give reccommendations for stuff to see/do, places to eat and even printing our plane boarding passes and delivering them to our room! I will definately stay here again next time we vacation in San Diego! Thanks 1906 Lodge for an awesome stay!

Room Tip: ANY room you choose here will be awesome!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank NEgal428
I'm glad the girls were able to get a good night's sleeper on the sofabed! I invested in high end sleeper sofas because I hate uncomfortable ones. You don't need cranky kids when you're on vacation!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,968 reviews
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 16 in Coronado
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,010 reviews

Been to 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!