“Charming Bed and Breakfast in Coronado”

1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 13 July 2012

The 1906 Lodge is deserving of it's #1 rating. Our room (Star Park) was very comfortable and clean. The property is tucked away a block from the beach - it's an easy walk over. They have chairs and beach mats that you can borrow. The breakfast was excellent and plentiful. The innkeepers were helpful and friendly. Underground parking is available. I would highly recommend this bed and breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank rev5
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

I"m glad you enjoyed the Star Park Suite. I love how roomy it is. Lots of space to spread out, especially the bathroom counter.

Isn't the Coronado beach great! We've had wonderful weather this summer, especially this week (July 16th). My husband and I like to head over to the beach at 6 PM, and ease into the evening.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

My family and I have vacationed many times in Coronado over the past twenty plus years and have usually stayed at the Hotel Del during those visits. After a three year hiatus from the beautiful San Diego area, I read the many wonderful reviews on Tripadvisor about the 1906 Lodge at Coronado Beach and we decided to give it a try. Be assured that this is a first rate place to stay. If you don't need a hotel with a pool and/or exercise room, then there is probably no better place to stay in Coronado. The 1906 Lodge provides free parking, free breakfast, free beach chairs, free beach towels and umbrellas with spaciious and ultra clean rooms that, in my opinion, are superior to the Hotel Del. This place represents a true value for upscale hotel accommodations in the area and I hope that they continue as such. The Lodge is just about a three block walk from Orange Avenue, beautiful Coronado Beach and the Hotel Del. You can stroll the magnificent grounds of the Hotel Del Coronado, walk to many of the restaurants and stores on Orange Avenue and enjoy the beach from this convenient location. One additional nice touch is that the Lodge provides a wine and cheese hour daily at 5:00 PM where you get to meet some of the other guests. This is a place that is best suited for couples and older children as opposed to families that are looking for a festive,resort like atmosphere. The staff is superb and absolutely dedicated to the comfort of its guests. Highly recommended!

6  Thank Bulls76

Wow, what a wonderful review! I think I need to hire you to help with my marketing!

I, too, believe that we are ideally suited for couples, or families with older children. To maintain our quiet and relaxing ambiance, we now restrict children to the luxury suites, where they are less likely to disturb other guests with their exuberance! Star Park and Tent City both have sleeper sofas and we also have rental cribs which can fit in several other suites.

I recommend calling the 1906 Lodge directly to discuss the best rooms for children, or for any occasion!

Reviewed 6 July 2012

My parents lived in Coronado when my dad was in the Navy back in the late 50's and he wanted to bring me and my siblings and families to Coronado to see "where it all started". After much research he choose the 1906 Lodge because of it's excellent reviews. Traveling in our party was my father, my sister and her husband, my brother and his wife, me and my husband and three older teens.

After looking into the options in San Diego and Coronado, the rest of us were not convinced we wanted to stay at the 1906. Each of us has had opportunity to travel fairly extensively for both business and leisure and our initial thought was a large hotel such as a Marriott or Hyatt. We also looked at the Hotel Del Coronado.

Without a doubt, the 1906 was the perfect choice and we (even with our varied opinions and preferences) would highly recommend it over any of the other options available as it is perfect for both families as well as couples.

The location of the 1906 is perfect. San Diego is wonderful but we all decided that we would much rather stay in Coronado and drive into San Diego because of the beauty of the island as well as the slower pace, ability to walk so many places, ride bikes as an option, go to the beach, great restaurants, beautiful homes and landscaping. Coronado is literally across the bridge from San Diego and it takes approximately 5-8 minutes to get to the Gaslamp district depending on the the traffic.

There was some concern that the 1906 is not on the beach but is a 2 block walk to the beach. We looked at the Hotel Del Coronado and the price was almost triple and we didn't feel that that justified being on the beach. In hindsight, even if the prices were the same, we would still choose the 1906 over the Hotel Del.

When you read the reviews about how clean the 1906 is, how great the owners are, how good the breakfast is, how beautiful the landscaping is, how big the suites are.......it's all true :)! My husband and I as well as my brother and his wife upgraded to a suite and it was completely worth it. The room was very large with two sitting areas, a gas fire place, large jacuzzi tub, huge tiled shower, balcony, king bed as well as a small bar area with a fridge.

Oddly enough we (my siblings and I) were not excited about going to Coronado/San Diego. The trip was originally planned for Monterey/Carmel which my brother and sister had both already been to but my dad decided to change the plans. I would love to go to the Monterey area one day but without a doubt found this to be a fabulous location (Coronado and San Diego - also did a side trip to La Jolla) and would do it all over again exactly as plans.

Highlights - fabulous restaurants in both Coronado and San Diego, beach, side trip to La Jolla, riding bikes in Coronado, trolley tour (not kidding - gives you a great overview), weather. Loved it all!

Stay at the 1906!!

Room Tip: If you can afford the difference I would definitely recommend a suite. Some of the non suites have a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank betsyhockaday

I'm so glad your family vacation was a hit! I understand your hesitancy to try a small, unknown hotel for such a special getaway. I traveled extensively in my 25 years in the corporate world and knew what to expect from certain name brands. What I designed into my property were the things I liked (or wished I had) at the big chains.

What's important to me: a simple breakfast, a refrigerator, bottled water, a glass of wine in the evening. To have all this included in the nightly rate was very important. And my personal hot button, a lighted magnified makeup mirror at the right height (I'm a bit tall).

On top of that, I think it is rare to find a staff that truly enjoys getting to know guests and helping them maximize the enjoyment of their time in our wonderful town.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

We just enjoyed a glorious  week at the 1906 Lodge!  What a wonderful experience..immaculate room, plush bedding, very attentive innkeepers (but not intrusive), gourmet breakfasts, beautiful landscaping, terrific location! The lodge is intimate but roomy enough for privacy and it's located in a residential area which means it's very quiet and peaceful. We had free wi-fi and parking...very rare in Coronado! We really couldn't have asked for anything more.  We stayed in The Plunge, but I'm sure any room would be great. We enjoyed our breakfasts out on the porch each morning...freshly made baked goods, fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, juices, and a different hot entree each day! In the afternoon we had wine, fruit and cheese. The innkeepers were so friendly and helpful. We were given great suggestions for day trips and restaurants. We have stayed at many B&Bs and luxury hotels but have never been as spoiled! The beach is only a short walk, and they provided a beach chair and beach bag with beach towels. The attention to detail is amazing! Our flight home wasn't until 9:00 PM, but they stowed our bags for us while we walked around town and had lunch. When we got back to the lodge in the afternoon, we had tea in the parlor and chatted with Susan and Denese before leaving for the airport. It really felt like we were visiting family rather than staying in a lodge. Where else do you get a hug good-bye with a "Come again soon!"

Room Tip: We stayed in The Plunge on the first floor looking out on the reflecting pool. It was spacious and c...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debbie723
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

I'm glad you were able to stay with us for a whole week! It always takes me several days to truly unwind and start to enjoy my vacation. Thank you for you kind comments about our attention to detail and the spoiling you received from my innkeepers! They truly enjoy their work and hosting guests in our wonderful town.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

Thank you to Susan and Sue, and their entire attentive, lovely and knowledgable staff for making our first vacation in five long years a perfect experience in every way!

It's not easy to make everyone happy in our family, but my husband, teenage daughter and 10-year old son thanked me more than a few times for booking our stay here. From the lush and immaculate gardens surrounding the property, easy walking to beach and shopping, delectable breakfasts (vegetarian!), charming and comfortable rooms, fabulous deep tub (wow!) and much, much more - we loved every minute and will be back many times.

Room Tip: The Star Park room is very spacious with a king bed and pull-out couch - good for families.
3  Thank Lisa K

5 years since your last vacation! That's not fair! We hope to see you and your family in the near future.

P.S. Glad you enjoyed the huge spa tub in the Star Park Suite!

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We just returned from a lovely weekend at the 1906 Lodge. The lovely landscaping, charming front porch, and hospitable owner greeted us upon our arrival. We stayed in The Landing in the new building. As it was the weekend before the 4th of July, Coronado's biggest holiday, we were surprised at how quiet it was at the Lodge. Even with full capacity, we could relax and enjoy some peaceful time.
We had our 11 month old daughter with us and I wasn't sure how that would work at a b and b, but the staff was very accommodating, the other guests were glad to see her, and with the way the hotel is built, I don't think she disturbed anyone else.
There are many quaint places to sit and linger around the property. The breakfast was fantastic. The underground parking gave us one less thing to worry about and we could easily walk around downtown Coronado from the Lodge. We watched the fireworks at the Hotel Del from our bed, which was a great way to kick off the fourth of July week.
Very minor complaint: There was only turn-down service one night-- I wasn't sure if that was supposed to happen every night. It wasn't a deal-breaker for us, just wondering what happened. Overall, I would highly recommend the Lodge for peace and quiet in the middle of charming Coronado.

2  Thank Christy H

I'm glad you had a peaceful getaway! And I'm sorry we missed your turndown one night. With a baby, we might have been reluctant to knock!

Even with a full house, it is usually pretty calm and peaceful at the 1906 Lodge. We try to do everything we can to help our guests relax!

Reviewed 1 July 2012

Trust all of the positive reviews, the hotel is absolutely wonderful, and really made our time in san diego worthwhile.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Thanks for adding to our positive reviews!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 286 in San Diego
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado

Been to 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!