“EXCEEDED OUR EXPECTATIONS AGAIN” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Tempe, Arizona
“EXCEEDED OUR EXPECTATIONS AGAIN”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

This was our 5th visit to the 1906 lodge and they once again exceeded our expectations. When we checked in on Tuesday, 09/07, we were warmly greeted by Susan who told us we had been upgraded to the Trolley Car suite. Although, we really enjoy the Winchester, we were really surprised and thrilled to stay in the Trolley Car. The room was delightful and had a wonderful view of the sunset each evening. I think it might be one of the best views for the suites.
The breakfasts were once again delicious and beautifully presented. The wine and snacks in the evening are a bonus and you often get to chat with some very nice people. All the staff, especially Susan and Lori (two of the innkeepers), are just delightful. They always are friendly have some good tips to offer. We also got to chat with Sue the owner and she is always very helpful. They provide of so many amenities and even have windex and paper towels to wash your car windows.
You are in easy walking distance to many restaurants, shops and the beautiful beach. The innkeepers are happy to make your reservations and have some coupons for some of the restaurants.
The WIFI sometimes has some issues in the suites. However if you ask for the ethernet cable, it seems to work well.
We are so glad that we found the 1906 and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 19KHand58
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us so often! I'm glad we were able to spoil you a little more this time with an upgrade to Trolley Car. I, too, think it has the best view of Coronado's sky at sunset.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

We were very impressed with this quant little hotel we stayed at our wedding night. Our room had a jacuzzi with a cold bottle of champagne when we arrived after midnight. The bed was sooooo comfortable!! Very clean room too. The next morning we had the most delicious breakfast downstairs. Loved this hotel!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Congratulations on your marriage! We've thrilled that you chose to stay with us and that you had such a wonderful stay.
Ramona, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

We love the "Lodge"! Over the last three years my husband and I have stayed here at least four times for weekend getaways ( we are locals). We LOVE everything about the place: very personable service, beautifully decorated interior, lovely setting and so many other amazing touches. Every room is uniquely decorated and immaculately clean. Happy hour is wonderful - fun to interact with other guests and enjoy the beautiful sitting room with a glass of wine and a couple of munchies. The location of the lodge is perfect, we didn't need our car while here. You can walk to the beach, number of good restaurants, or Lamb's Players Theater (highly recommended!) within a couple of minutes. We have stayed at Hotel Del in the past as well, and The "Lodge" is much nicer, especially for the price. The only thing I would change is one dish they serve for breakfast: the three cheese strata, we have had it a couple of times and I didn't care for it. However, that is such a small problem, that I hate to even mention it, since I absolutely adore this place.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gilliganthecat
Thank you for noting in your review that you really don't need a car when you stay with us. You can walk to almost everything in Coronado (it's only 1 mile to the farthest point).

I'm not sure when you last stayed with us. We have changed the recipe for the strata. We've also changed around which day the entrees are served. We've had so many weekend return guests that we needed to ensure you have the opportunity to taste something new!
travelgirl055
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed at the 1906 Lodge for a week in August, and selected the Lodge after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. Overall, our experience was great and we loved the personalized service we received from the Inn Keepers.

We stayed in a room in the Main Building and loved that outside of our room door, there was a small refrigerator stocked with water as well as coffee & tea available each morning by 7:00. The room was clean and provided sufficient space, although did not include a dresser or a closet for unpacking (there was a small antique armoire in the corner of the room). The room had 3 large windows allowing for natural light, had a great shower and a sink outside of the bathroom, which was great in allowing two of us to get ready. We also loved the evening turn down service.

The breakfast provided each day was delicious, it included fresh fruit, baked goods, cereal, juices and a hot entrée that was made before it was served, not kept in a warming dish. We ate breakfast each day in the garden area, it was lovely and peaceful, beautiful flowering plants and a fountain in the center.

We attend the “happy hour” at the Lodge a few days, light snacks (cheese and crackers, fruit, nuts) were provided as well as wine and we enjoyed mingling with other guests. We also had the opportunity to meet one of the (owing) “Partners” of the Lodge and enjoyed hearing about the history of the 1906 Lodge and the renovations. If you choose to stay at 1906 Lodge, we would encourage you to look at the photo book detailing the 6 year renovation of the 1906 Lodge (incredible to see where they started).

In addition, The 1906 Lodge provides free underground parking to guests, which after some research , prior to booking our stay we realized was a great added value if you choose to stay on Coronado Island

As we mentioned above, the personalized service from the Inn Keepers was amazing. We were greeted each day by name, asked about our day’s activities and the Inn Keepers offered suggestions for activities and dining (day after day their suggestions were spot-on, good restaurants, locations and attractions to see were great). In addition, the Inn Keepers accommodated our special requests, we planned to have a picnic dinner at sunset one evening and the Inn Keepers provided us with a packed rolling cooler bag for our dinner and beverages (how nice!). On our final morning since we would be leaving before breakfast was served, a “breakfast to go” box was provided – what a nice treat when we opened on our flight home.

While we’d recommend 1906 Lodge to our friends and family, as well as stay ourselves again, there were few areas that could be improved. In the week we stayed, the air conditioning in our room was never quite right (not for lack of trying by us or the Inn Keepers) and we couldn’t get the room to a comfortable temperature for sleeping (it was unseasonably warm the week we were in Coronado). In addition for the 1906 Lodge only being open for 3 years, the mattress was squeaky and soft, not incredibly comfortable. Finally, while 1906 Lodge provides free WiFi, we were unable to get a signal on our iPad in our guest room (no issue in using the WiFi from the common areas of the Lodge).

If 4 ½ stars were a rating, we’d give that – not an option on Trip Advisor, hence the 4 stars.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank travelgirl055
My innkeepers sure do like to help our guests have a memorable experience in Coronado! And thank you for the constructive feedback. I'll check out those items and see what we can do!
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

Coronado is one of the best parts of San Diego. Manicured streets, no litter, period style property, and close to down town when you need it.
1906 is a well run B&B in an excellent location close to shops, restaurants and the beach.
It is a drive to the best restaurants on the East side overlooking the bay though.
Service is restrained and elegant. The early evening wine and cheese is a great idea and a most welcome opportunity to mingle with other guests. We were a bit taken aback to receive a letter whilst we were there saying that we could not share our rooms. Our son has a medical condition which means his mattress has to be on the floor, and the owners obviously thought that he had been inviting unpaying guests into his room. A word to us would have been better rather than a letter through the door. This did not however spoil a great experience and a place a would recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank HertsNeil
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
To our London guest, I apologize for not speaking directly to you regarding the mattress on the floor. You are correct, that would have been a much better way to communicate our concern. We are always looking for ways to accommodate our guests special needs.

I'm glad you were still able to enjoy your stay with us in Coronado.
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

After reading the raving reviews on TripAdvisor we decided to book this B & B for three nights to celebrate my birthday. We stayed in the Country Club suite and loved it. The suite is spacious with a nice desk, comfortable chairs and a wonderful bed. I loved having a Jacuzzi tub and a walk in shower. The soft robes was another plus and having a large vanity to spread out is always high on my list.
Breakfast was great: Muffins, scones, fresh fruit, homemade granola and every day a different hot entree. My husband and I also enjoyed the wine and cheese hour at the parlor and meeting other guests.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It sounds like the 1906 Lodge was good choice for your romantic birthday celebration!

I'm glad you enjoyed all our amenities including our bathrooms. I wish we had the same spa tub at home, but I do have the robe! I've enjoyed it for 5 years and it's still soft and comfy.
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights in July following a marriage retreat elsewhere on the island. I have to tell you first off that my husband does not like B&B's and his first thought was to stay at the Marriott. After finding 1906 Lodge on the Travelocity, I was able to convince him otherwise. He LOVED the Lodge and said he wished all B&B's were like this. It was hard to choose a room looking at the web site, so I called and spoke to Alyssa to make the reservation. I told her what our budget was and asked for the most romantic room for that price. We stayed in the Tea Garden Suite and it was absolutely perfect! The bed is so cozy and comfortable that we didn't want to get up in the morning. We enjoyed the deep soaking tub one night - what luxury! The sitting chairs weren't particularly comfortable, but that's no big deal. We really enjoyed sitting out on the balcony overlooking the courtyard anyway. The bathroom was one of the biggest I've ever had in any hotel or B&B with so many thoughtful touches. The towels are sumptuously soft. The staff has truly thought of everything.

The location is perfect. Lots to do within walking distance. And the trip into San Diego is amazingly quick and easy. You can be to Balboa Park in no time. Susan gave us an excellent recommendation to check out Cedros Avenue north of the LaJolla area. We hadn't heard about it before. After chatting with us for a few moments and figuring out what we might like, she gave us the directions. This was one of the highlights of our trip! Nice to hear about a hidden gem from a local.

The staff was extremely accommodating to our dietary needs and easily met them all. They cooked oatmeal for my husband every morning since he is gluten-free. I am a vegan and I had plenty to eat, as they provided soy or rice milk for the cereal each day. The hot tea selections were excellent and the fruit fresh and delicious. We didn't really partake of the evening wine and snacks since we were out and about, but I think that is a nice homey touch.

I should mention that we came over early on our arrival day knowing that it was too early to check in. However, we had some groceries from our other location and asked if they could hold them for us. They were waiting in our room refrigerator when we checked in. How nice! We also had a very early morning departure so the staff left our 'to go' breakfasts in the room refrigerator the night prior to our departure.

We really liked having a separate entrance to our room. Do be forewarned that you will need to carry your suitcases up the stairs, though. We found the lodge to be very friendly (both staff and guests) and quiet. We appreciated the free parking too. I hope we get to return some day. Thank you so much for taking such good care of us.

Room Tip: Tell the innkeepers what you need. I'm sure they will steer you in the right direction. We staye...