“Perfect Place”

1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We were looking for a nice place to stay near the Hotel Del. 1906 Lodge exceeded our highest expectations! The owners pay a LOT of attention to detail, from room furnishings to serving breakfast on very nice china. We liked the fact that the 1906 Lodge was a block off the main street - in a quiet neighborhood, yet so close to the Coronado village. Easy to walk to beach, great restaurants, shops, and all that Coronado has to offer. Owners are wonderful, warm hosts. Will definitely return!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 August 2010

My husband and I recently spent a week here and already can't wait to go back! The lodge is beautiful and the service was amazing! The location couldn't be better---so close to everything and within easy walking distance to beach, restaurants, shopping, etc. On a quiet residential street with free parking, which is a huge plus! I will definitely be recommending the 1906 Lodge to friends and family---truly the best choice on Coronado!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2010

My wife and I stayed at the 1906 Lodge in April for 2 nights prior to my meeting in San Diego. It's located on a side street in a quiet neighborhood within a few minutes walk to the Hotel Del and Coronado Beach. The underground parking is a nice feature with entry into the lodge from the parking area.
Susan and her staff were really wonderful, giving us all the information we needed regarding nearby restaurants, activities and local events.
The weekend of our stay there was a car show along the streets nearby the Lodge. We enjoyed all the beautifully restored vehicles in the show. Susan even took our picture in front of the Lodge with a 1947 "Woody" and placed it in her blog for the Lodge.
The breakfasts served each morning were amazing and our room, "The Country Club" was great with very nice amenities and a comfortable porch looking into the courtyard.
We loved the beautiful restoration of this wonderful Lodge and highly recommend it. We will certainly stay here again if we get the chance to return to the San Diego area.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TjakeJanesville
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We love to visit Coronado and always stay at the Del, but our daughter suggested trying a B&B for something different. I was skeptical at first but WOW was I surprised! It reminde me of beach cottages up the coast from way back when, only better. This place is fantastic! It is immaculately clean, the beds are seriously comfortable, the breakfast is divine (happy hour every night too), and the service warm and welcoming. I felt we had stepped back in time to a kinder gentler place, without sacrificing a single modern amenity provided by the fanciest hotels. What a treasure and what a find! They will even pack a beach bag for you with big towels along with umbrellas and beach chairs at no extra charge. Even the underground parking is free! The rate they quote is the rate you pay, no extra resort fees or parking etc. This place is wonderful!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We stayed here for the first 2 nights of our honeymoon in May and thought it was a great little B&B. When they found out we were on our honeymoon we were offered an upgrade at a slightly reduced rate prior to our arrival, which was a nice touch. There was also a small bottle of non-alcoholic cider and a couple of chocolates in our room on arrival.

We chose to stay in the Bay View room which was very nice. It was spacious and clean had a very comfy king bed. There wasn’t a fridge or tea/coffee in the room but this was available just outside on the landing. There they had a fridge stocked with water and tea/coffee making facilities.

The breakfasts were amazing! The staff were extremely friendly and took the time to chat to us each morning. There was cereal and pastries available to help yourself to, and fresh fruit which varied each day. They also offered a homemade hot entree, which again was different each day. All the food wash fresh and simply gorgeous!! They also offer wine and cheese in the evenings which we enjoyed on our second night despite our severe jet lag!

The location is great too. It’s in a quiet residential street just a 5 minute walk from the beach and Hotel Del. There's also free parking available under the building, and free wifi.

I highly recommend this B&B and wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again if we return to Coronado.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2010

There is a reason this place is rated #1. Our friends live in Coronado. We're all young 20/30-ish urban types and I can say that the better-half and I stopped going to B&Bs a long time ago because we preferred larger resorts. It gives us our autonomy and anonymity. The intimacy of B&Bs is too awkward for us. WITH THAT SAID: we LOVED 1906 and will never stay at another hotel in Coronado again as long as we can help it.

#1: The place is CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. And trust me, we checked everywhere short of wearing white gloves. We're both elitist germaphobes and found not a speck of dust on the picture frames, ceiling fan, or window sills. Even though this place was renovated over 4 years ago, that's enough time to let a place get dirty.

#2: Cutest room ever. We stayed in the "Author's Study", which apparently is the least expensive room but might as well have been on par with the others. I think the only reason it's considered the least expensive is that there isn't a bathtub and the basin is outside of the bathroom in the main room. However, the room is so TASTEFULLY and ADORABLY decorated that I actually LIKED having the basin in the room. Plus, it's a corner room so you get 3 windows and therefore plenty of light. Nothing about this room felt like I was not in someone's home. And I don't mean that in an awkward way.

#3: FREE and secure parking! And it's SUBterranean! All the hotels charge for parking yet 1906 doesn't.

#4: FREE little bottles of water. Let me tell you why this is so significant. I typically get pretty PO'd when I go to hotels because the extortionate attempts to nickel and dime me really get me fired up on principal. A flat of little half bottles of Arrowhead from Costco probably cost what? $10? $20? It costs the hotel next to nothing. But have you ever seen that offered for free in a hotel? No. Yet 1906 does and, let me tell you, just the sheer generosity and thoughtfulness is PRICELESS.

#5: TURNDOWN SERVICE. WTH?? I've stayed at a LOT of hotels and the only time I have EVER received turndown service is at the Four Seasons in San Francisco and a Kimpton in Seattle. Those little chocolates to me are worth 1,000 words.

#6: BREAKFAST?? I mean, come on. Not only is there a continental breakfast but they actually whip up hot breakfasts too, like marscapone pancakes (or whatever they had when I was there). AND!! If you have to leave early for any reason, they will prepackage your hot breakfast and have it ready for you. I MEAN COME ON.

#7: Perrrrrfect location. You can walk over to the Del and have drinks on their giant veranda and watch the sunset like everyone else, or walk over and have surprisingly good pasta at Rhinocerous.

This place is awesome. Stay there. Give them your money.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jerkey
Reviewed 27 June 2010

My girlfriend and I just completed our stay at the 1906 Lodge over the weekend of June 24th-27th 2010 to celebrate her birthday. We stayed in the North Island room and were absolutely amazed at how clean and great the room was. Usually we find ourselves at high end hotel chains, ut the 1906 Lodge was an absolutely refreshing experience. The room was a great size, with an excellent little porch. We were able to open all of the windows and let the sea breeze blow in, while enjoying the great room.

The staff was very friendly, and the breakfast was great. The coffee was great each morning, and they really truly made you feel like you were at home. The lodge has a great parking garage below it, and there was always pleanty of spaces available.

If you're looking for a nice quiet place to stay on Coronado Island that is close to shops and the beach, this place is hard to beat. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Downtown
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado

Been to 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!