“Good Food, Good Service”
Review of Sapori - CLOSED

Sapori
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Sapori is a restaurant beautifully decorated with friendly staff and delicious food in a nice area. Even though they have a small menu the server offer to make whatever we wanted; "I have ingredients" were his words with an Italian accent, and so we order away. Chicken Milanese and chicken alfredo were made by request and both were of superb. I could taste the quality of the ingredients paired the the craftsmanship of the chef. We also had Salmon, Shrimp linguini, Caesar salad, pear salad and lasagna all well made with a simple yet nice presentation.

The "cons": this depends on each person's point of view. The wine list seemed pretty small, the wine recommended by server was a bit flat and lacked character, but was drinkable ans cheap. The restaurant was pretty empty while other restaurants in the area had people waiting outside. And lastly, it is a bit pricey. Then again like I said it really depends on your perspective.

Overall; we had a good experience and didn't mind the prices because food was delicious. Would probably come back if I'm in the area, but would like to check out other options first. Would recommend.

There are newer reviews for Sapori

Reviewed 10 April 2014

This restaurant is several blocks from the busy Ferry Landing area of restaurants and shops.
The short walk is worth it.

I had the $6 lunch special and it was excellent. Where can you find a tasty lunch for $6
in Southern California ? My dining companion was very pleased as well.

Great service. This restaurant is a gem.

1  Thank baycityart
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We returned to this delightful Italian restaurant on a recent trip to Coronado, after a year from our last visit, and were unchanged in our opinion. It is a great restaurant! The singing waiter is no longer there but the excellent food and wine selections still are.

We were with friends and shared two appetizers. The first was zucchini blossoms stuffed with ricotta and lightly fried in a tempura batter, served on a bed of arugula (delicious!!) and the second was sliced heirloom tomatoes with burrata - a fabulous creamy buffalo mozzarella - on a balsamic reduction.

My husband and I ordered salmon in two different preparations and asked that the fish be cooked rare to medium rare - moist and tender - and it was! Perfect - yet still had the great grilled flavor. (So often restaurants are unable to do that.)

Our friends both had chicken piccata served with pasta and they raved about it.

The wine selection was very good and the prices reasonable (for both food and wine). This is a wonderful restaurant which we will return to on each visit to Coronado. Our lucky friends are able to dine there more often, since they are in Coronado for the winter.

The owner, a charming man from Napoli, was our host and was most welcoming and very helpful describing the wines and which would be good selections with our menu choices. This was a memorable dinner!

1  Thank SuzanneGrecophile
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is a gem. You are never rushed, and the food is wonderful. You feel as if you are in Italy. If you are the impatient type, pass it by. It is to be enjoyed in a relaxed manner!

1  Thank Kathleen M
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Coronado is a typical touristy-beach town, especially in the summer, but we do have our wonderful "hidden" restaurant gems. Sapori in the 100 block of Orange is my favorite "go-to" restaurant when I want a delicious dinner, reasonably priced wine, and most of all, a cozy, welcoming environment away from the "madding crowds". It's a small restaurant with outdoor seating that has views of San Diego bay, or great people-watching as folks stroll down Orange Ave. The fried squash blossoms, Sapori salad and Chicken parmigiana are my favorites. This is a great restaurant frequented by more locals than tourists.

1  Thank Nancy M