“Will never stay here again”

Coronado Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 November 2010

It is with great sadness that I write this review. Coronado is one of my most favorite locations and I have stayed at this resort many times. However my last experience with the Coronado Beach Resort will be my last.

I booked my reservations with Resorttime.com for September 30, 2010. I paid for three nights in full in advance. This is the website that the resort directs you to. When I arrived at the hotel at 3 pm, they apologized to me and stated that while I paid for my reservation in full, they did not have a room for me. They offered to put me at the Loews, pay for my stay, and refund the amount I paid. I stated that the Loews was not acceptable as we stay at the Coronado Beach Resort for the location. They offered to put my up next door at the Glorietta Bay Hotel, I accepted. Again, they stated they were sorry, would refund my hotel stay, and cover the rate next door. They gave me a letter and I was on my way.

Well I came home to no refund. I contacted resorttime.com and they credited their portion of $55 back. They contacted the hotel multiple times and finally stated, yes they are going to credit me the money. Weeks go by, no credit. I call, leave messages (at the hotel) again Resort Time calls them. Again empty promises. Two months later, no credit and finally I contacted my credit card company who filed a dispute.

I had an amazing stay at the Glorietta Bay. They were great. I will never, ever rent from Coronado Beach Resort. These are private timeshares. I have read about this happening before. While I loved the stays I had, having one cancellation can ruin a vacation. But to make matters worse has been the service I have been given.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
10  Thank leslieinphoenix

Reviewed 18 November 2010

A real surprise, well run, friendly helpful staff (especially Erick & Joy), close to the restaurants, beach , a great golf course and shopping. You don't need a car to get to everything and the hotel has free bikes and beach stuff to use.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2010

This is a wonderful place to stay, all rooms are condos and have full size fridges with microwaves. The rates are extremely reasonable and they have everything that you need for a day at the beach, towels, chairs, sand toys, boogie boards umbrellas, bikes. It is a half block from the beach across the street from the Hotel Del. The staff is the friendliest, most accommodating group of people that will ever meet. They made us feel like special guests in their own home.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank SummerGirl066
Reviewed 18 October 2010

This was our third visit to one of the best destinations in the USA -- Coronado! Coronado is a great place to visit, unique in its location, absolutely beautiful and one of the cleanest places we've seen anywhere. Love it so much, we're heading back next January.

But we won't be staying at this "hotel". It is over-rated & over-priced. It's actually time-share condos, whose rooms are rented when their owners are not in town. It does have several positive points, top on the list being its location -- one of the best on the island. But several negatives lower its overall rating.

We've learned there are several other nearby properties which not only have outstanding locations, but provide far better amenities and service.

The absolute splendor of Coronado (and surrounding areas) should be considered separately. Other reviews list its legitimate positive points, although some are exaggerated.

Some things which lower this property's rating include: cleanliness/maintenance, size & decor of rooms are all lacking; A/C units suck in strong odors of cigarette smoke from guests smoking on nearby outdoor balconies; instead of merely free coffee, every other nearby property we've since checked out offer complimentary continental breakfasts, a few fairly substantial; though most staff were helpful, we had the misfortune of meeting one of the night crew who was a real jerk who made us feel like we were definitely second class guests if we weren't an owner of one of the building's units; the gal who coordinated activities provided inaccurate information (verbal & written) on the daytrip to Hollywood which itself included over 4 hours of picking up & dropping off others at several hotels on the way to/from L.A.; our request for a packet of coffee to use in our room was rudely refused; and, of course, its inflated prices.

Nearby properties provide better value, several less expensive than here.

Photos included show: dust on living room cocktail table from overhead ceiling fan; exposed screwhead in carpet; mold on bathroom tile.

When we asked for the "Coronado Beach Resort discount" at the fine restaurant at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, no one there knew anything about such a discount.

The bird in the lobby was entertaining & attractive. But the bird doesn't warrant the prices charged at this outdated time-share property.

This information was submitted on an evaluation form from the ownership/management for this property. After waiting and receiving no response, we've posted this review.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TRON13
Reviewed 13 October 2010

This hotel is one of the best hotels on the island. The island it's self is right across from San Diego and there's beach 360 degrees. The hotel staff are great, one of them offered to let us borrow her clubs since we didn't bring ours. They have a beautiful parrot in the lobby and activities everyday for either free or very cheap. The staff is very knowledgeable and can always point you in the right direction. I don't even remember the rooms that well because I was barely in them. But they are nice. The views aren't always the best but you'll want to stay here and not at the big resort on the island because this one is in the middle of it all. They are affiliated with the Loews resort and you can often use there fitness center and pool. The hotel has a hot tub on top of the roof and very nice rooms. It's loosely related to Diamond resorts, (DRI). Definitely stay for more then a week, A LOT TO DO.

There's a golf course on the island but your better off visiting them because they don't answer the phone. Don't go everywhere in the car, you can walk to dinner right across the street. you can walk anywhere. There's tons of different restaurants, shops and things to do. I recommend you walk to everything, golf and visit the beach. You can eat at a diner, walk t get ice cream, go to the beach, pick up lotion at the drug store, and grab Italian soda all by walking. And the walking is exciting because you see all sorts of stuff on the way.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ilovetrips77
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Stayed at this resort in September and couldn't have picked a better place for our little family! It was quaint, clean, family friendly and it was easy to walk around from there exploring the island. The staff was especially helpful and accommodating, all quite knowledgable about where to go and what to do while visiting Coronado-- which was great since it was our first experience there. Would definitely stay here again. Also, LOVED the bird, Cody! She was a real treat to visit with during our stay!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank sheshi13
Reviewed 2 September 2010

We loved the ability to walk to the beach, restaurants, Hotel Del, shops, etc The Staff was wonderful and took care of all our needs, Cody, the lobby macaw, was entertaining and "all in all" we had a very enjoyable time.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple