“Friendly place in good location”

Coronado Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Victoria, Canada
“Friendly place in good location”
Reviewed 7 January 2011

The Coronado Beach Resort offers a new and more sociable take on staying in hotels. We booked through ResortTime.com, where fully-equipped condos in more than 300 locations worldwide are available for time-share or rental.

The resort is more than just a room. The friendly lobby offers self-serve hot drinks and an afternoon snack of fresh-popped corn. Cody, a brilliantly-coloured parrot, squawks his welcome. Daily activities keep guests happily occupied.

Across the street, the celebrated Hotel Del Coronado, a sprawling pile of white clapboard, red-tiled cupolas and high-rise apartments, was established in 1888. We skip the $15 history tour and opt for the Del’s heritage Boat House for an authentic seafood supper.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ozcantravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 December 2010

My husband and I decided to "treat ourselves" by staying overnight at the Coronado Beach Resort last weekend. Check-in was easy, front desk staff was friendly and accommodating. However--the best part was when we got the our room (one bedroom unit) it was right across the street for the Hotel Del and we had great views of the hotel and the beach. Our room was very nice and after we stayed for one night--we both felt like we had a "weeklong" vacation. Totally refreshed!

The lobby has a fish tank (very fun) and a macaw. In the morning we walked around Coronado and eat breakfast at Clayton's Coffee Shop. What a great time! We can’t wait to come back with our daughter—she’ll love it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tonya038
phoenix
Reviewed 18 November 2010

It is with great sadness that I write this review. Coronado is one of my most favorite locations and I have stayed at this resort many times. However my last experience with the Coronado Beach Resort will be my last.

I booked my reservations with Resorttime.com for September 30, 2010. I paid for three nights in full in advance. This is the website that the resort directs you to. When I arrived at the hotel at 3 pm, they apologized to me and stated that while I paid for my reservation in full, they did not have a room for me. They offered to put me at the Loews, pay for my stay, and refund the amount I paid. I stated that the Loews was not acceptable as we stay at the Coronado Beach Resort for the location. They offered to put my up next door at the Glorietta Bay Hotel, I accepted. Again, they stated they were sorry, would refund my hotel stay, and cover the rate next door. They gave me a letter and I was on my way.

Well I came home to no refund. I contacted resorttime.com and they credited their portion of $55 back. They contacted the hotel multiple times and finally stated, yes they are going to credit me the money. Weeks go by, no credit. I call, leave messages (at the hotel) again Resort Time calls them. Again empty promises. Two months later, no credit and finally I contacted my credit card company who filed a dispute.

I had an amazing stay at the Glorietta Bay. They were great. I will never, ever rent from Coronado Beach Resort. These are private timeshares. I have read about this happening before. While I loved the stays I had, having one cancellation can ruin a vacation. But to make matters worse has been the service I have been given.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
10 Thank leslieinphoenix
St. Thomas
Reviewed 18 November 2010

A real surprise, well run, friendly helpful staff (especially Erick & Joy), close to the restaurants, beach , a great golf course and shopping. You don't need a car to get to everything and the hotel has free bikes and beach stuff to use.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
MN
Reviewed 20 October 2010

This is a wonderful place to stay, all rooms are condos and have full size fridges with microwaves. The rates are extremely reasonable and they have everything that you need for a day at the beach, towels, chairs, sand toys, boogie boards umbrellas, bikes. It is a half block from the beach across the street from the Hotel Del. The staff is the friendliest, most accommodating group of people that will ever meet. They made us feel like special guests in their own home.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank SummerGirl066
Geneva, Illinois
Reviewed 18 October 2010

This was our third visit to one of the best destinations in the USA -- Coronado! Coronado is a great place to visit, unique in its location, absolutely beautiful and one of the cleanest places we've seen anywhere. Love it so much, we're heading back next January.

But we won't be staying at this "hotel". It is over-rated & over-priced. It's actually time-share condos, whose rooms are rented when their owners are not in town. It does have several positive points, top on the list being its location -- one of the best on the island. But several negatives lower its overall rating.

We've learned there are several other nearby properties which not only have outstanding locations, but provide far better amenities and service.

The absolute splendor of Coronado (and surrounding areas) should be considered separately. Other reviews list its legitimate positive points, although some are exaggerated.

Some things which lower this property's rating include: cleanliness/maintenance, size & decor of rooms are all lacking; A/C units suck in strong odors of cigarette smoke from guests smoking on nearby outdoor balconies; instead of merely free coffee, every other nearby property we've since checked out offer complimentary continental breakfasts, a few fairly substantial; though most staff were helpful, we had the misfortune of meeting one of the night crew who was a real jerk who made us feel like we were definitely second class guests if we weren't an owner of one of the building's units; the gal who coordinated activities provided inaccurate information (verbal & written) on the daytrip to Hollywood which itself included over 4 hours of picking up & dropping off others at several hotels on the way to/from L.A.; our request for a packet of coffee to use in our room was rudely refused; and, of course, its inflated prices.

Nearby properties provide better value, several less expensive than here.

Photos included show: dust on living room cocktail table from overhead ceiling fan; exposed screwhead in carpet; mold on bathroom tile.

When we asked for the "Coronado Beach Resort discount" at the fine restaurant at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, no one there knew anything about such a discount.

The bird in the lobby was entertaining & attractive. But the bird doesn't warrant the prices charged at this outdated time-share property.

This information was submitted on an evaluation form from the ownership/management for this property. After waiting and receiving no response, we've posted this review.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TRON13
Phoenix
Reviewed 13 October 2010

This hotel is one of the best hotels on the island. The island it's self is right across from San Diego and there's beach 360 degrees. The hotel staff are great, one of them offered to let us borrow her clubs since we didn't bring ours. They have a beautiful parrot in the lobby and activities everyday for either free or very cheap. The staff is very knowledgeable and can always point you in the right direction. I don't even remember the rooms that well because I was barely in them. But they are nice. The views aren't always the best but you'll want to stay here and not at the big resort on the island because this one is in the middle of it all. They are affiliated with the Loews resort and you can often use there fitness center and pool. The hotel has a hot tub on top of the roof and very nice rooms. It's loosely related to Diamond resorts, (DRI). Definitely stay for more then a week, A LOT TO DO.

There's a golf course on the island but your better off visiting them because they don't answer the phone. Don't go everywhere in the car, you can walk to dinner right across the street. you can walk anywhere. There's tons of different restaurants, shops and things to do. I recommend you walk to everything, golf and visit the beach. You can eat at a diner, walk t get ice cream, go to the beach, pick up lotion at the drug store, and grab Italian soda all by walking. And the walking is exciting because you see all sorts of stuff on the way.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank ilovetrips77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 278 in San Diego
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 16 in Coronado

Been to Coronado Beach Resort? Share your experiences!