“The best place to stay in Coronado”
Review of Glorietta Bay Inn

and 1 more site!
Glorietta Bay Inn
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 24 July 2009

We all absolutely LOVED this place...including my teenagers loved the flat screen TVs. The two rooms were spacious, the beds were so comfortable and the pillows, nice and fluffy. The convenience of the location cant be beat. The complimentary breakfast was constantly replenished and the staff there was great about offering trays or bags to bring breakfast back to the room for teenagers who wanted to sleep late. And speaking of staff, that is probably what I appreciated the most. Every single staff member I met...and they had an abundance of staff members keeping the property immaculately clean and well run... was friendly, kind and helpful. I will absolutely return to Glorietta Bay Inn and will recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank BeachLovinFamilyof5

Reviewed 23 July 2009

This place is terrific. The rooms were clean.The breakfast was amazing spread of food. The people were so nice and helpful. It is right across the street from The Del. I thought it was a great deal. We will definitely go back next summer. I loved this place and thought it was fantastic!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank michgood
Reviewed 7 July 2009

We originally had another hotel booked in Coronado, but that hotel was over-sold and they relocated us here for free for our first night's stay. We had a regular, non-mansion room, which was well appointed, but on the smaller side. The room had a nice flat screen TV and refrigerator, but was the closest to Orange Avenue and had a lot of street noise.

The complimentary continental breakfast in the morning included juices, coffee, tea, bagels, muffins, fresh fruit (melons, bananas, etc.) and cereal. Even though there were two attendants in the room, they seemed to be more interested in talking to one another, than making sure the food was replenished and the area clean (although they were very friendly).

The location of the hotel is great for walking to the beach, Hotel Del and the nearby restaurants, and the staff was very friendly. Overall, the location is probably the best amenity of the hotel, along with the friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kaileygirl
Reviewed 4 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at the GBI for two nights at the end of June. We were there to surprise my father-in-law for his birthday - he was staying at a time share two doors down. We had never stayed at the GBI before, but the majority of the reviews on tripadvisor were "glowing" so we didn't think we could go wrong. Makes me wonder who is writing some of the reviews...

Agree with some of the previous posts that the "non-mansion" rooms are no better than a motel. It reminded me of something that I would have booked in college during spring break week in Florida. Having not seen one of the mansion rooms, I can only imagine that the majority of the "excellent" and "very good" reviews posted here are coming from individuals who stayed in these rooms.

We could only book a queen, bay view room. It was on the second floor overlooking a moderately busy, somewhat loud street next to the bay. The street noise was better at night. There was a small balcony overlooking the street/bay. The bathroom was extremely small and dark. The room itself was one of the smaller "hotel" rooms that I have stayed in outside of europe. It was relatively clean.

The worst thing about the room was the humming noise coming from the air conditioning units on the roof, both from our room and the rooms adjacent to us.

Check-in and check-out was efficient. The complementary continental breakfast was OK, nothing out of the ordinary. It is directly across the street from the Del, so the location is very good. There seemed to be adequate parking for guests. We did not use the pool but noted that it is very small for the size of the inn (again, motel sized).

How the GBI can be listed as the #1 choice to stay in on Coronado is beyond me. I am beginning to get concerned that some of the reviews on tripadvisor are padded. I would not recommend staying here unless the mansion rooms are far beyond the room we stayed in.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NorcalTraveler_9
Reviewed 9 June 2009

We ended up with some noisy neighbors on our second night and found that the walls were somewhat thin. Otherwise, we had a great stay. Great service, very clean, great breakfast, great location. Great value!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ArizonaFamily3
Reviewed 8 June 2009

We stayed here for three nights in May. I had read wonderful reviews of this hotel on tripadvisor. At first the price was above our limit but when we saw them offering third night free we jumped on the offer. We had never been to Coronado and we just fell in love. Our stay at Glorietta Bay helped with that experience. It was so elegant yet kid friendly. Each of my children were given a beach ball upon arrival. I loved the architectual detail inside the mansion. We enjoyed a great continental breakfast with lots of fruit, pastries, cereals, eggs and great coffee every morning. There was always at least one person on staff to keep food stocked and dining area clean. The cookies and lemonade in the afternoon was a nice touch we also enjoyed.

Our room was huge! We had a great kitchenette as well! Double sink vanity area with seperate bathroom was great! Staff was always friendly and helpful. We were there the week before Memorial Day. Therefore, it was not too busy and it was a cheaper price. I'm not sure I'd be as thrilled if we had paid summer fees and had to deal with more people.

The walk to the beach was a little more than it appeared on the map. The street is pretty busy so you have to walk to the end of the block and wait with all the other street walkers at the light to cross the street. That became a little embarrasing on our way back from the beach with towels and sand covered bodies. However, we really enjoyed walking through Hotel Del Coronado to get to the beach. I was able to purchase sand buckets for the kids at a store inside the hotel. We did dine at the table service restaurant at Hotel Del and found it terribly overpriced for the quality of food they served. The pool was nice and warm and I enjoyed the small hot tub right next to the pool. It was beautiful for our family to sit in alone surrounded by palm trees. Not much room for stranger though;)

Yes, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to feel a little luxurious but willing to walk a couple blocks to the beach.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank pmama
Reviewed 2 June 2009

We stayed here in June 08, and are returning again this year! Glorietta Bay is a beautiful place, with a perfect location. We have 2 small children and the 1 bedroom suite is perfect for our family. You could not ask for a better location and their continental breakfast is excellent! We will continue to return every year!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family