“Roomy, Affordable place for families”
Review of Glorietta Bay Inn

and 1 more site!
Glorietta Bay Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 2 September 2009

Many of the opinions already given are very accurate about this hotel. i was traveling for a long weekend with my two kids (11 and 13). We were very busy doing all the local attractions, so we didn't spend a lot of time in our room. Our one-bedroom suite (444) actually had bunk beds in the living room, which my kids loved. Having the kitchen was a plus for snacks and drinks before dinner. If you are looking for a room with great views or a pretty place outside your room to sit, this is not the hotel for you. The wings were added to the hotel, and in many ways it is more like a motor inn. Outside of every room is a parking lot. The walkways are landscaped very nicely, and here and there they have tables and chairs, but nothing right at your room. The suite itself was very spacious, clean and comfortable. Also, VERY DARK as they are using only high efficiency light bulbs. The pool is small, yes, but my kids were satisfied. They keep a nice container of iced lemon water near the pool and also have a constant supply of plush pool towels. The vibe is very mellow - when we walked over to the Del, the feeling was very hectic and crowded. AND, the Del employees were striking, so they were walking all over the place yelling into bullhorns - glad I paid $260 night at the Glorietta instead of $475 for a single, loud room at the Del. As people already mentioned, all the staff members were just excellent - the lady arranging the breakfast was actually singing as she worked. The continental breakfast was so nice and easy to begin a busy day of touring local attractions. We only ate out one morning just for a little variety. Try the Burger Lounge down Orange Ave - all organic ingredients and a fun, funky vibe. Right next door was my daughter's favorite place - the Yogurt Escape. They let you serve yourself frozen yogurt (6 flavors) plus loads of really festive toppings. Only 39 cents an ounce - a darn sight cheaper and more fun than paying $6.75 for a smoothie at the Del. If you are thinking about booking a single room at this hotel, look into it a little further. From my observation, many of the single rooms were in the least desirable locations in the hotel. Clarify the location and size of the room. I would stay here again - it was so easy, mellow and clean. Why not spend the money you save on Sea World, shopping and great dinners?

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank JazzgirlWisconsin

Reviewed 2 September 2009

After a very long and tiring plane journey from the UK we arrived at the hotel exhausted. From the moment we arrived late in the evening we were welcomed with efficiency and personal warmth. Our room was very spacious, quiet and well decorated with none of the signs of minor decay that would reflect lack of attention to detail which is often the sign of the hotels general operating systems. The room was on the ground floor and facing a cul de sac road. I asked if there was a room closer to the main building and was, after a quick check on the computer, was informed that we could move to a junior suite which included a sitting room. They informed us that it was an upgrade but we could have it at our current price..
The breakfast was "cotinental" and offered a broad range of fresh fruit, bagels, cerial, juices , coffee etc etc. all well laid out with casual seating on the patio
The general ambiace of the large sitting room conforme well to the video images on their website.
What impressed me very much was not only the fact of free WIFI but that they offered the use of a free business centre giving internet access but allowed printing of the first 10 pages a no cost (I have never come across this type of generosity in a business setting before). When later we stayed at various hotels in California there was a usal charge of $12+ per day for WIFI and use of business centre intenet at some ridiculous per minute charge.
On the day we were flying out it was foggy,I asked reception if they would expect flight delays. The receptionist immediately, without being asked, checked flight details on the computer and advised no delay.
Glorietta Bay is very much customer oriented all staff very helpful and I would highly recommend it to any traveller.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nofolklad
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Our group cannot say enough kind things regarding our stay at Glorietta Bay Inn recently. It all began with our arrival to the Inn. We were there quite early and the room was not ready so the front desk clerk invited us onto the terrace to enjoy a nice breakfast until the room was ready. Our 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite (Room 446) was quite spacious and extremly clean. It appeared that it had been newly decorated as well. Once in our room, we received a knock on the door with an attendant delivering us a bottle of champagne and glasses as a welcome gift. Each time we had asked the front desk for help, they kindly obliged and always used my name. They have an extensive video library to use should you want to stay in and watch a movie. They also made candid restaurant suggestions for our group and then took it upon themselves to make reservations for us. When we walked into the mansion each morning for breakfast, we were always greeted by the staff in a cheerful manner. Speaking of breakfast, it was lovely and had a little something for everyone. The freshly brewed coffee was a hit for our group along with the fresh fruit, bagels, yogurt, cereal and other miscellaneous items. I would highly recommend having your breakfast out on the terrace and overlooking the harbor. As for the pool area, it is very clean with fresh towels and comfy lounge chairs all around. The location is perfect with being just across the street from The Del and the beach. Shopping is within walking distance. There was no need for a car the entire weekend.

My only two negatives would be that the pool is quite small for an Inn this size and the cost of our 2 bedroom suite was a little over priced at $525 per night.

Restaurant recommendations close by are: Miguels (come early for great mexican atmosphere as it gets quite busy) and The Boat House (for excellent sea food dining on the water. Great prices and service combined for a wonderful dining experience with friends.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank momsgonewild
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I have stayed at the glorietta bay inn for 25 years and have never found another Hotel like it. It has about 100 rooms all different to accommodate most needs, each room is out side it's main house which was a mansion, also has rooms in it. the staff is the greatest no where else have I encountered such gracious service and I have worked for a huge resort in Phoenix. So I have a lot to compare it to. every morning there is breakfast on the patio( Free) bagel, toast, pastry, eggs, fruit, and etc. 24 hour coffee service on the patio, and Lemonade and cookies in the afternoon. Relax at the pool or walk across the street to the ocean , what could be better. there are a lot of good restaurants family and fancy. At night it's great to walk around the island stop at one of many ice creams places or go, located near mny attractions Sea World ,and downtown any many others. just try it once and when you san Diego it will be your place to stay as it has been for us all these years, Linda

1  Thank benky29
Reviewed 12 August 2009

We stayed at the Glorietta from August 7-10th. I wish I would have paid attention to the traveler who said the place was no better than a motel they had stayed in while in college. The place was overfilled with huge families and screaming children. The pool was right outside our window. In fact, our "balcony" shared the fence with the pool area itself. The pool was so noisy and overcrowded that I immediately called the front desk asking for a change of location. They were booked, but somehow moved us to a standard room in the back of the hotel that was pretty dark and creepy. It was out near the dumpsters and the parking lot, semi-detached from the hotel. We found out they were going to charge us the same price for a standard room as a deluxe room. We decided that family noise trumped creepiness. So we moved back to the noisey room. We closed the curtains and tried to rest. The bathroom is small, dark and has mold. The carpets in the room are stained. The sheets are of poor quality and are pilled. The DVD player and the bedside table lamps weren't plugged in upon arrival. Poor maintenance. We requested new clean towels from housekeeping one day and had left the used ones on the floor of the shower. That evening, we found cold, wet towels folded up on the towel racks for our use. Yuck! The hotel was obviously running beyond capacity. The pool is way too small for hotel use, the parking lot is beyond capacity, and the breakfast area cannot accommodate all the families with loud children. Each day we left and found breakfast elsewhere. If you want to go on a beach vacation and don't want hoards of screaming children everywhere, please go elsewhere. This place was a huge disappointment. The walls and ceiling are very thin and the air conditioning unit keeps you up all night long. I can't believe they called this a boutique hotel and a deluxe room. The price was absolutely ridiculous for what you get. The staff seemed overworked and pretty short-tempered.

• Stayed: August 2009
4  Thank babybulldog
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I picked the Glorietta Bay because of its location close to the beach on Coronado Island and because it was reviewed favorably on this site, among others. I certainly wasn't disappointed in the location-- literally across the street from the "Hotel Del" and the expansive and beautiful public beach the Del is on. The hotel is convenient to all shops/restaurants and you needn't drive a car to get to your dinner. Parking is relatively cheap and convenient (off-street lot close to guest rooms). As mentioned by several other reviewers, the staff is uniformly friendly, welcoming and helpful. Very professional. There was never a wait to find a staff member to assist with check-in, check-out, or other needs. Would rate the hotel amenities as above average. The pool is small, but inviting, and the deck has comfy chaise lounges and umbrellas. The breakfast is ample, of standard "continental breakfast" fare. Fridge and coffee maker in all rooms. Internet access is free in the "business center" (there's only one computer, not really a problem). Vending is reasonably priced, no $3 sodas here! There is a small laundry center with soap, dryer sheets, etc located off the main lobby-- very helpful if you're traveling with small children!
From what I observed, there is a wide range in size and comfort of available guest rooms. Our family of three was very happy in a large room with one king-size bed and a pull-out couch. The bed was fantastic! I noted the small size of a standard double and can see how that would be too small for many folks. I think a suite would be the best choice for most families. Another concern was the noise level. The construction in the add-on (i.e. not mansion) seems cheap and poorly insulated. Napping in the afternoon was difficult. At night, however, the hotel was pretty quiet. I did not see any rooms in the mansion, and these might be more amenable to couples without kids seeking a quiet environment.
Overall, the hotel's cleanliness, beauty, charm and great staff are the selling points. I wish we had stayed all the nights of our vacation here and we will certainly be back.

2  Thank amybrinski
Reviewed 24 July 2009

We all absolutely LOVED this place...including my teenagers loved the flat screen TVs. The two rooms were spacious, the beds were so comfortable and the pillows, nice and fluffy. The convenience of the location cant be beat. The complimentary breakfast was constantly replenished and the staff there was great about offering trays or bags to bring breakfast back to the room for teenagers who wanted to sleep late. And speaking of staff, that is probably what I appreciated the most. Every single staff member I met...and they had an abundance of staff members keeping the property immaculately clean and well run... was friendly, kind and helpful. I will absolutely return to Glorietta Bay Inn and will recommend it to family and friends.

2  Thank BeachLovinFamilyof5