“Even better than last year.”
Review of Glorietta Bay Inn

Glorietta Bay Inn
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Woodland Park, Colorado
“Even better than last year.”
Reviewed 9 September 2010

OK, I admit I'm slightly biased because we (myself, husband and five-year-old son) stayed here last July and were pleased enough to book again for 5 days in August.
All I can say is that it was a dream to stay here. This is a very unusually successful combination of family-oriented hotel with an elegant, comfortable and relaxed feel and superb customer service. The facility itself is picturesque. Extremely well-maintained and clean. Recent updates to rooms since last year. Tons of blooming plants. Parking spaces are a little small, but there was always one available.
It is obvious that all staff (from front desk to housekeeping to groundsmen) are trained to be friendly, approachable and helpful at all times. They strive to satisfy every guest's needs as quickly as possible. For example, if you approach the front desk and the staff is with another guest, someone from the office hustles right up to the desk so you don't have to wait. They are expecting you when you arrive for check-in, and everything was ready at check-out. Very streamlined. Front desk staff had good recommendations for restaurant (best burgers) and beach rental. They also gave us chairs and a mat to use free of charge. My son was given TWO beach balls.
As far as amenities, there are washers, dryers and soda/ snack machines. The laundry facilities are a lifesaver, especially with wet bathing suits (and having a small child). I believe there are fridges in every room-- we enjoyed having fruit, cheese & beer/wine in ours. The daily breakfast was a time-saver, though the fare was about standard.
Concerning the rooms: if you are a a couple or individual without children, I would book a mansion room rather than a hotel room. This is a family hotel and, while not noisier than average for families, it may annoy you to hear little ones running about or splashing in the pool. If you don't get a mansion room, ask for a room on the upper level. The pool closes at 10 pm and we had no noise issues even with having a poolside room. The room furnishings are better than average. The beds were supremely comfortable. Air conditioning very efficient. Flat-screen TV with tons of channels. Large tiled shower, no bathtub in hotel rooms. Unlimited clean towels for beach and pool.
We had a room with 2 queen beds. It was decent-sized. The rooms with one bed only look rather cramped to me. There is an option of one queen- or king-bed and one sofa sleeper. This felt roomier to me when we had one last year.
Parking is now $10/night; that's still cheaper than in the city. You might get away with parking on the street, but it could be a pain at times.
In summary, I was extremely pleased with the service, amenities, appearance and value for what I paid for peak season. We can't wait to stay here again!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank amybrinski

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Hebrew first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Stayed for 3 nights on a trip from Boston. Booked the Inn after checking TripAdvisor. It is a beautiful place. The mansion (main part) is perfectly restored and lower rooms are lovely gathering areas for reading, relaxing, or enjoying breakfast on the patio/porch overlooking the bay. Stayed in a pretty, spacious room in the Inn section with a great bay view from the balcony. Very pleasant, accomodating staff. After visiting the Del across the street, we were particularly happy to be out of the frenzy of that 'vacation city' type of atmosphere and staying at the calm, peaceful Glorietta Bay Inn.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Greeley, Colorado
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We stayed in the newer part of the hotel in a double occupancy room. The room was perfect for our family with a ground floor balcony that went straight to the pool. The staff was extremely helpful and gave us tips and coupons for restaurants and attractions. The breakfast was just enough and we loved the afternoon lemonade and cookies. The best thing about the hotel was the central location in Coronado, easy to walk to the beach as well as to the downtown area. We had a fantastic vacation because of the Glorietta Bay Inn!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Alberta
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Our family, with 2 kids ages 4 and 6, had an idyllic 9-day family holiday staying (mostly) at the Glorietta Bay Inn. The original building is the mansion owned by Spreckels, the man who built the more famous Hotel del Coronado right in front of the GBI. It's a beautiful white stone building. They've added to it with suites around a courtyard. We stayed in one of the suites, which was spacious and well-furnished and very comfortable,despite the old kitchen.

The staff were without exception warm and welcoming, and they seemed to genuinely enjoy their jobs. At check-in, some of them whisked my kids away to look at the "ghost" piano while I was busy at the front counter. The man at the counter was also very diligent in checking into an internet discount I mentioned, and would not rest unti he could give it to me. They were very knowledgeable about the area, and made spot-on restaurant recommendations.

One of our favourite parts was the continental breakfast. Normally, I can never stomach more than one or two continental breakfasts at the same place before we have to go find a nice restaurant. But on this visit, we ate every single breakfast at the GBI, and only missed two because we had gone on a two-day excursion to Orange County to Disneyland. My kids were excited to go to breakfast every morning. The food itself is good - fresh and varied, with new things every day. What really made it incredible, however, was the setting on the white stone terrace as the sun rose, and always enough newspapers to go around. As soon as the kids were finished, they headed down the steps to look at flowers, feed the birds or play in the grassy area, while we parents could keep them in full view and finish our breakfast. Other patrons kept complimenting us on our children's good manners, but I really think it was the setting that made it so easy for them to behave. Either that, or everybody was so happy in their surroundings they were full of goodwill for all.

The other highlights was all-day coffee and afternoon lemonade or cider and cookies, which we frequently partook of in between buildling sand castles on beautiful Coronado Beach. There was a very inviting sitting area / library full of books and games and the aforementioned player piano. The old photographs on the wall were interesting, full of the history of the place, which the staff were always happy to tell us about if we were interested.

The GBI's location was also incredible - as close as you can get to Coronado Beach without staying at the Hotel Del Coronado (which is also lovely, but seemingly not nearly as happy as the GBI and too big and impersonal). You just had to cross the street to get there. The beach was incredible, with wonderful sand and fighter jets flying overhead to the nearby air force base. I had planned an itinerary for the children hitting all the hotspots - Disneyland, Legoland, Seaworld, San Diego Zoo, etc., but gave up after the kids made it clear I was "dragging" them to amusement parks since they'd really rather be back at the GBI and the beach.

The only thing I can think of that anyone might complain about is the small pool, but who wants to swim in a pool when you have Coronado Beach? All in all, it was a lovely hotel in a lovely setting with wonderful staff, and our best family holiday to date. On the last day, my kids were positively tearful, and wanted to explore the possibility of moving to Coronado. We definitely will be back!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Freshcat
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Just got back from the Glorietta Bay Inn for a three night stay. We loved spending the night on Coronado as our base, then traveling out to San Diego and Encinito during the day. This is a great town for a family as we thougth it was safe and clean.

The Inn is in an excellent location, just across the street from the beach. The included breakfast is nothing special, but it will save you some $$$ as it will tide you over until lunch for sure. There is a pool at hte Inn, but it is small, however there is the beach which is probably one of the reasons you are going to the southern California area.

What we loved the best about the Glorietta Bay Inn was the fantastic front desk service. I asked for lots of recommendations and directions and they were wonderful printing out maps and giving me advice. I really thought they went above and beyond with that and were very patient with my questions. I even asked for maps with and without highway driving and they took the time to print out each of our routes both ways.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 24 July 2010

This was a long anticipated vacation for me, my 9 year old twins and my girlfriend and her 2 kids. We were going without our husbands and looking forward to some "girl time" and a lot of fun for the kids! My kids and I were traveling in from Florida and our friends from Phoenix. We moved to Florida from Arizona a couple of years ago, so the kids and I were looking forward to a really special time with our old friends from Phoenix. Although my girlfriend recommended the property, her experience had been in one of the very upgraded rooms, so I wasn't sure how a standard or junior suite would work out for us. On top of it, we were trying to book reservations leading up the beginning of the 4th of July weekend, so spaces were limited and we needed 2 rooms. Glorietta was booked outside of a couple of mansion rooms and we didn't need those level of rooms with just kids and our plans for "sun and fun". I decided to make reservations at a nearby property and felt pretty settled that the property was as good or an even better option considering some of the condo type amenities available. For some reason, I just kept checking at Glorietta Bay. Honestly one of the reasons was because my other reservation wasn't working out very well. I had booked the condo reservation through a "resort" company and the property couldn't find my reservation in the system 3 weeks later. The resort company told me "everything was fine, it just needs to be entered in the system". The resort company blamed the property and the property blamed the resort company. Well, when you're paying full price airfare to literally fly across the country for a vacation, that wasn't too comforting. I decided I would feel more comfortable making a reservation at a property where the staff actually worked there and accountability wouldn't be an issue. So one day ,after about 3 or 4 days of calling Raj to get a reservation at Glorietta Bay, we lucked up on 2 rooms. I'd actually seen rave reviews about "Raj" on Trip Advisor, so he was already a bit of a celebrity! He was so wonderful and patient with my calls everyday. I felt like he was an old friend. He was wonderful in describing the property, the amenities, the sights and the sounds of Coronado. A couple days later, I decided to try to upgrade our rooms, so of course, I call Raj. After a couple of days of calling, he found me 1 upgraded room. Well, I figured my friend and I would just have to flip a coin for the upgraded room since we were now only a few days from our trip. Well, I decided to give it one more try, and to my delight (and not to my surprise), Raj had already grabbed us a 2nd upgraded room that had become available.

Well, to try to end this long review...we had a ball. Raj had us in "junior suite" type rooms next to each other in a nice corner of the hotel. The rooms were clean, well appointed, and absolutely offered enough room for the kids to hang out and play wii, watch movies and for their moms to relax. The faciity was simple, calm and elegant. It is definelty the place to stay in Coronado if you don't want the big overdone resort or elevators and hallways, etc. The staff, from the front desk, to the bellmen were all great!! The breakfast buffet is A+, from boiled eggs, cereal and toast, to bagels and fresh juice.

I finally got to meet Raj and we was as charming and wonderful in person as he'd been on the phone. He helped us with dinner suggestions and shared tips that made our trip even more special.

My only regret was that I didn't get to see Raj before we checked out. I wanted to give him one more big "thanks" and tell him that we will be back!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank watsontwins
Midwest
Reviewed 24 July 2010

I was expecting more from this inn for the $300 a night price tag. It's old and
situated on a noisy busy street. The breakfast was nice bonus, but for the price
of the room, that's the least they can do. The pool was small and everything seemed a little tired from the chair cushions to the furniture in the lobby. Next time I'll spend the extra money and stay at the Del.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family