“What a great little place!!”
Review of La Avenida Inn

La Avenida Inn
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Lake Charles, LA
“What a great little place!!”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We had a wonderful four night stay at La Avenida Inn! It is a small, older hotel, but our room was very nice with a super comfy king size bed and lots of space. The bathroom was rather outdated (not important to us) but spotlessly clean. The wireless Internet worked better than the one at the fancy hotel we stayed at on the bay in San Diego. The staff was friendly and helpful. Location wise, you couldn't choose a better place! It's right across the street from the Del and a block from the beach. Anything you would want to do is in walking distance. And the best part? They provide beach towels and give you a sand pail for your trips to the beach! We shall return!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool side room.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beth f

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Hebrew first
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed 14 September 2011

This is almost right across the boulevard from Del Coronado but under $150/night. Large queen room with a good amount of extra room, table and couple chairs. Quiet, clean, comfortable. Less than a block from the bus stop for easy access to public transportation to the city. The "island" is small enough to easily walk for one in moderately good health. Light continental breakfast but you'll want to add a piece of fruit from a nearby market. Great location at 5 minutes from the beach.

Room Tip: Be sure to get room facing the pool. Those in the side corners are dark.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bikingfarmer
Las Vegas
Reviewed 23 August 2011

My wife and I stay in San Diego every year in July. It is her birthday trip and our anniversary trip all rolled into one fantastic get away. This year we decided to give La Aveniada Inn a try as the reviews were strong.

I will start with the good. Each and every member of their staff with the exception of one was amazing. The location is beyond wonderful with only a 2 minute walk to the beach and the plush Hotel Del Coronado. A movie theatre is located just down the street which was fun and convenient. There is great food at every corner and stop. The room was large and comfortable. There was a pool which we never used but it looked nice. The manager and the staff we encountered were helpful and friendly with one exception.

Sadly now for the one staff member who was rude and unreasonable. There was one front desk representative named Susi who did not listen and was rude each time we interacted with her. Here is one of the times and what happened. The first day we arrived we were told by the individual that checked us in that we could keep our car within the parking lot after our check out time of 11:00am. We planned on enjoying our last day on foot and then return to the hotel to pickup our things and our car. The plan was not possible when we checked out with Susi and attempted to confirm with her that our car was ok to stay for the day. She sighed and said "No once you check out your car will need to be removed as you are no longer in a room." I explained that t at check in we were told that we could leave our vehicle for the day and she laughed. She under her breathe stated "of course the day told you that". I explained I was just looking for consistency and I didn’t understand why the person at check in was the problem. She told me that they tell everyone whatever they want to hear and laughed. I then offered to pay money for parking to attempt to offer a solution as she was honestly wearing on my nerves (I don’t like being laughed at). She said I could not pay for the parking spot and other guests would need it. I stated I had stayed for 4 nights and 5 days I did not understand the problem. She looked at me and said well sir there are guests staying 6 days. I asked if that meant my stay was not appreciated and she said that many guests stay much longer than 4 days.

At this point I was very frustrated and fell very unappreciated. I had already checked out they had my money and up until this point I had tolerated Susi and felt this property was near perfect. I am sorry to say that Susi ended our trip on a horrible note and in my opinion she should not be working in a customer service type position. I am still amazed that she laughed at me and my wife’s request.

All in all I would recommend this hotel just avoid Susi!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank dmortuus
Laavenida, General Manager at La Avenida Inn, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
Thank you for your recent review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our property and your time in Coronado. We were, however, very sorry to learn that one of our staff members did not meet our guest service expectations. Please be assured that our guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and we have counseled our representatives accordingly. We very much appreciate the time you took to bring this to our attention and sincerely hope you will choose La Avenida Inn again for your next "birthday/anniversary fantastic getaway" trip. Please contact me directly to arrange your visit so I can personally thank you for your loyalty. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Ron Diepenbrock
san diego
Reviewed 15 August 2011

My husband and I live in San Diego and decided to do a Coronado weekend getaway. La Avenida Inn is PERFECT! It's very clean, well kept, nicely decorated with great service! It's centrally located to everything in Coronado— and I mean walking to distance to shops, restaurants and the beach) . I would highly recommend this place, especially for the reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank supernelson
California
Reviewed 8 August 2011

It was just a one night stay, sadly, and the location in busy Coronado is convenient. I found Johnnie a pleasure to work with in booking the room -- a lucky break for me in finding just a single night in the busy season. Almost everything is nearby. My room was quiet -- and most rooms seem set back from the pedestrian and traffice bustle of Orange Avenue. Johnnie was a great guide, secured a taxi in an advanced and timely way. The room accommodations were basic and clean -- I sure wouldn't spend much time in any room in a beautiful location like this if I'd had more time. And I would come here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Coastguy
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Located right across street from Hotel del Coronado and soft sandy beach. Nice sized room with comfy beds. Walked to lots of shops and restaurants. Pool was clean and refreshing. Bathroom seemed a bit cheap, but functional. Overall, wde were pleasantly surprised with La Avenidva Inn.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank jennykarp
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Is directly across street from Del Coronado. Lots of great food and shoping in walking distance. Italian restrurant right next door was very good. Parking is free. We got there early, and the desk gave us a free parking pass. We left our bags in the car and toured the area until check-in. Rooms are nice and very clean. Air conditioner worked great. Has free coffee and nice selection of breakfast muffins in morning. Desk gave us free vouchers for discounts and local resturants/shops.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple