“Nice, clean and friendly but expect ZERO privacy” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Avenida Inn

La Avenida Inn
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Atlanta, GA
“Nice, clean and friendly but expect ZERO privacy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

As many have stated, pleasantly surprised with this hotel. Although it is an older unit, very well maintain. The bathroom was spotless as was the rest of the unit.

The only complaint had to do with with others have already stated. Noise.

You can hear phones ringing in adjacent rooms as if there were no walls. This came to light during an early morning east coast call from work which resulted in a prompt got a call from the front desk stating that another guest was complaining about me being on the phone that early! What is this? My mother's house when I was a teen? Geez.

Now that is a bit much to ask guests to not even take calls. If it weren't for this, I would give this 4-5 stars but this lack of privacy is not worth it to me. Just be aware and if you don't mind road noise and having other guests know your business. Otherwise, it's a very nice and clean hotel.

Room Tip: ask for 2nd floor
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MHerns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Hebrew first
Paradise, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

I decided to stay here at the last minute. It was referred to my by a relative and I was very happy I stayed there. It is a non-smoking place and clean and comfortable. You can walk right to the front of the hotel and see the Hotel Coronado right across the street! It was beautiful!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms would be wonderful.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Laavenida, General Manager at La Avenida Inn, responded to this review, 22 October 2011
Thank you for your recent review of our Inn. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have an outstanding location; within steps of the Hotel del Coronado, beaches, restaurants and shopping. We also wish to thank your relatives for their referral. It is always gratifying to receive that vote of confidence from our local residents and past guests.
Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Prescott, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

As soon as we pulled in you could see that this had been an older motor court style hotel from the '50's. The owner has done a fantastic job of turning it into a new modern and very comfy hotel. We had a nice sized room with a king bed, large bathroom and ample space to store everything for a 3 night stay. There is a continental breakfast available with real pastries and muffins that appear to come from a bakery, not from the local supermarket. Coffee and tea is also available. For those who like a pool, it was very clean with a relaxing area around it to gather and enjoy the afternoon sun. All and all a very good experiance. The only suggestions I would make to the owner is that hair dryers and a small coffee maker be provided in the rooms. Minor issues for certain, but something that is now pretty much expected at all hotels. By the way, GREAT staff!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank poco01x
Laavenida, General Manager at La Avenida Inn, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Thank you for your many kind compliments about our property and staff. We are so glad you enjoyed a relaxing visit with us. Regarding your suggestion that hairdryers and coffee makers be provided in-room, we couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, we are an "older motor court style hotel" and have limited electrical capacity and the power company tells us that they cannot provide more from the electrical pole in our area. We do, however, have several hair dryers available at the front desk and our staff would be happy to brew you a fresh pot of coffee, any time of the day or night, please just ask us!

Lake Charles, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

We had a wonderful four night stay at La Avenida Inn! It is a small, older hotel, but our room was very nice with a super comfy king size bed and lots of space. The bathroom was rather outdated (not important to us) but spotlessly clean. The wireless Internet worked better than the one at the fancy hotel we stayed at on the bay in San Diego. The staff was friendly and helpful. Location wise, you couldn't choose a better place! It's right across the street from the Del and a block from the beach. Anything you would want to do is in walking distance. And the best part? They provide beach towels and give you a sand pail for your trips to the beach! We shall return!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool side room.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beth f
Holland, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

This is almost right across the boulevard from Del Coronado but under $150/night. Large queen room with a good amount of extra room, table and couple chairs. Quiet, clean, comfortable. Less than a block from the bus stop for easy access to public transportation to the city. The "island" is small enough to easily walk for one in moderately good health. Light continental breakfast but you'll want to add a piece of fruit from a nearby market. Great location at 5 minutes from the beach.

Room Tip: Be sure to get room facing the pool. Those in the side corners are dark.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bikingfarmer
Las Vegas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

My wife and I stay in San Diego every year in July. It is her birthday trip and our anniversary trip all rolled into one fantastic get away. This year we decided to give La Aveniada Inn a try as the reviews were strong.

I will start with the good. Each and every member of their staff with the exception of one was amazing. The location is beyond wonderful with only a 2 minute walk to the beach and the plush Hotel Del Coronado. A movie theatre is located just down the street which was fun and convenient. There is great food at every corner and stop. The room was large and comfortable. There was a pool which we never used but it looked nice. The manager and the staff we encountered were helpful and friendly with one exception.

Sadly now for the one staff member who was rude and unreasonable. There was one front desk representative named Susi who did not listen and was rude each time we interacted with her. Here is one of the times and what happened. The first day we arrived we were told by the individual that checked us in that we could keep our car within the parking lot after our check out time of 11:00am. We planned on enjoying our last day on foot and then return to the hotel to pickup our things and our car. The plan was not possible when we checked out with Susi and attempted to confirm with her that our car was ok to stay for the day. She sighed and said "No once you check out your car will need to be removed as you are no longer in a room." I explained that t at check in we were told that we could leave our vehicle for the day and she laughed. She under her breathe stated "of course the day told you that". I explained I was just looking for consistency and I didn’t understand why the person at check in was the problem. She told me that they tell everyone whatever they want to hear and laughed. I then offered to pay money for parking to attempt to offer a solution as she was honestly wearing on my nerves (I don’t like being laughed at). She said I could not pay for the parking spot and other guests would need it. I stated I had stayed for 4 nights and 5 days I did not understand the problem. She looked at me and said well sir there are guests staying 6 days. I asked if that meant my stay was not appreciated and she said that many guests stay much longer than 4 days.

At this point I was very frustrated and fell very unappreciated. I had already checked out they had my money and up until this point I had tolerated Susi and felt this property was near perfect. I am sorry to say that Susi ended our trip on a horrible note and in my opinion she should not be working in a customer service type position. I am still amazed that she laughed at me and my wife’s request.

All in all I would recommend this hotel just avoid Susi!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank dmortuus
Laavenida, General Manager at La Avenida Inn, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
Thank you for your recent review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our property and your time in Coronado. We were, however, very sorry to learn that one of our staff members did not meet our guest service expectations. Please be assured that our guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and we have counseled our representatives accordingly. We very much appreciate the time you took to bring this to our attention and sincerely hope you will choose La Avenida Inn again for your next "birthday/anniversary fantastic getaway" trip. Please contact me directly to arrange your visit so I can personally thank you for your loyalty. I look forward to welcoming you back.

san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

My husband and I live in San Diego and decided to do a Coronado weekend getaway. La Avenida Inn is PERFECT! It's very clean, well kept, nicely decorated with great service! It's centrally located to everything in Coronado— and I mean walking to distance to shops, restaurants and the beach) . I would highly recommend this place, especially for the reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple