“a perfect gem!”
Review of La Avenida Inn

La Avenida Inn
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 4 January 2008

This was a wonderful little motel/hotel. It was 1/2 block away from the Hotel Del and 1/2 block away from the beach. Clean, great staff, wii. No, it is not the Hotel Del, but we got a great room with a far less price than the Hotel Del or any of the other hotels close to the Hotel Del. I consider this place an absolute gem and the savings was fantastic. I highly reccommend this as a great place to stay. Now if your idea of a great place to stay means you stay in your room all the time and demand room service and lots of ammendities I do not recommend La Avenida Inn.

• Stayed: December 2007

Reviewed 20 December 2007

good size room. Ours had new carpet, paint, windows, and it seems the bed and pillows were new as well. A little noisy from the street but no big deal. Nice staff. Easy walk to beach through the Del or side street. Why pay Del prices when you can enjoy all that the Del has to offer and just be walk across the street.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2007

Received a government rate of $120/night which no one else could really come close to matching. Conference site was the Hotel Coronado less than a 5 minute walk away. Parking was fine. Wireless connectivity was fine. A/C was noisy and had to bang on the unit to quiet it down. No desk and only a small table for use as an office space and absolutely no outlets along that wall! My room was too close to the street and by 5am things began to get noisy. Bathroom was stark white, no frills, but clean. Bed was actually very comfortable. Ask the front desk to print an airline boarding pass and was told that their computer was not hooked up to the internet and to use the library down the street - found that very strange. Great location close to a dozen restaurants. Grounds were nice. Tough to beat the price and would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2007

I'm saying our stay was excellent because this great little place was exactly what we expected. It is clean, inexpensive and couldn't be in a better location for walking distance access to everywhere we wanted to be (that part was an unexpected bonus). The night after we arrived, all the hotels on Coronado were inundated with evacuees from the raging fires. The place was packed, but my husband and I remained comfortable and unbothered. The pool area looked very inviting and the reception staff were accommodating and attentive. If you can afford the Hotel Del -- stay there! If you're a light sleeper, bring earplugs! The Ritz it is not -- but this place is a fantastic little inexpensive jewel that we will return to again and again.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2007

The shower at this hotel smelled very strongly. It appeared to be a sulfurous smell. We informed the front desk personnel, and they had the owner, who lived remotely, call us at our room to discuss. Upon telling her that the shower had this noxious smell, she immediately became defensive, and claimed that the hotel had recently been inspected, and had gotten a clean bill of health, and therefore the smell couldn't possibly be sulfur. In mid-discussion with my wife, the hotel owner angrily hung up, and we heard nothing further from her. On a positive note, the front desk personnel were very understanding, and did provide a partial credit to us for one night of our two-night stay, in compensation for the terrible odor from the shower and our very bad experience with the hotel owner.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank markjrm
Reviewed 27 May 2007

I did quite a bit of research before selecting this property...I should have done more. Upon checking in, I walked in and no one said anything, I had to greet them...and when they said hello back, still not friendly. I had a few questions about the room etc, so the manager comes out from the back and she was soooo snotty and mean it was unbelivable. She is the very dark haired woman with a New York accent, I think she is the only manager. She was so mean I avoided the office at all costs. The room smelled weird and old, it is at best average.
Here is what made the my stay terrible though. The first night I was exhasted after flying all day, so I was in the room by 10PM hoping to get some sleep - WRONG! The walls and ceilings of this place are so thin and old you can hear every noise. The man above me on the second floor (2 story property) was walking back and forth all night on the creeky loud floor. He was slamming drawers, closet doors, and it never stopped all night long. I got zero sleep. The next night a family was in the room next door. The Dad must have bought a guitar in Old Town or somewhere, and he "played" it - LOUD- until at least midnight. He mays well have been in my room, again , paper thin walls.
The next night is the worst, at 11pm an extremely drunk couple was put in the room next to me. This is the night before I leave and need to get up @ 5:45 am. They are falling all over the room, swearing, and it was so loud I was actually scared. They must have passed out about midnite, quiet until 4:45 am when the woman got up and started yelling and using horrible profanity that she does not know where they are, she has no shoes, she was so wasted, and on and on...what scumbags. I went to front desk in tears because I was so exhuasted from 3 nights in a row of no sleep. The guy at the desk did not really care, he said he does not like it there either and that he had already put in his notice to leave. I hate this place, and what a shame because I love Coronado.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank CaliforniaGirl777
Reviewed 12 March 2007

We arrived around 11:45am which was four hours early. The clerk suggested coming back around 1:00pm. Check in time is 4:00pm. After lunch we returned to the hotel and were sitting out front watching the world pass by. The clerk stepped out and told us our room was ready. We checked in three hours early at no extra charge. The clerk was very friendly and helpful in answering questions about Coronado.
The room is very bright;clean and odorless. The room is very large. We had a king size bed that did not crowd the room. There is a four drawer dresser and two end tables with a large drawer and large storage space under the drawer. A reading lamp and table with two chairs and a television in the corner completed the room appointments. These did not crowd the room either. There is a large dressing room separte from the main room with a huge closet with full mirrors on both doors. The air conditioner/heater is in this room which is nice since there is little noise from it in the main room. The small couch was a nice addition for dressing comfort.
The bathroom is very large and bright. While the towels are a bit thin they were sufficiant and pool towels were available also.
The amenities included soap, shampoo and lotions. There is a full bath tub/shower.
All windows have large horizontal wooden window blinds instead of drapes.
Overall; we were very pleased with the room.
The continental breakfast consisted of a choice of sweet roll or muffins and coffee. Next door to the hotel is a bagle shop with better choices.
The hotel is centrally located near all types of activities. We spent one evening on the beach with our meal. Shopping is all within walking distance as is the beach.

Stayed: March 2007