“Truly enjoyed our stay”

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Lakeside, California
“Truly enjoyed our stay”
Reviewed 12 March 2007

We arrived around 11:45am which was four hours early. The clerk suggested coming back around 1:00pm. Check in time is 4:00pm. After lunch we returned to the hotel and were sitting out front watching the world pass by. The clerk stepped out and told us our room was ready. We checked in three hours early at no extra charge. The clerk was very friendly and helpful in answering questions about Coronado.
The room is very bright;clean and odorless. The room is very large. We had a king size bed that did not crowd the room. There is a four drawer dresser and two end tables with a large drawer and large storage space under the drawer. A reading lamp and table with two chairs and a television in the corner completed the room appointments. These did not crowd the room either. There is a large dressing room separte from the main room with a huge closet with full mirrors on both doors. The air conditioner/heater is in this room which is nice since there is little noise from it in the main room. The small couch was a nice addition for dressing comfort.
The bathroom is very large and bright. While the towels are a bit thin they were sufficiant and pool towels were available also.
The amenities included soap, shampoo and lotions. There is a full bath tub/shower.
All windows have large horizontal wooden window blinds instead of drapes.
Overall; we were very pleased with the room.
The continental breakfast consisted of a choice of sweet roll or muffins and coffee. Next door to the hotel is a bagle shop with better choices.
The hotel is centrally located near all types of activities. We spent one evening on the beach with our meal. Shopping is all within walking distance as is the beach.

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank Francis S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Hebrew first
California
Reviewed 3 October 2006

We have stayed at the La Avenida several times over the past 20 years. We always felt the convenient location made up for the very average quality of the property. This past summer, we had reserved 2 nights and ended up leaving after the 1st night. The quality and comfort of our room was on par with what one would expect at Motel 6. The tiny TV was on a stand in the corner and could not be viewed from the bed. The bathroom was so small it could accommodate only 1 person at a time. The walls are very thin so we were disturbed by neighbors. Construction noise behind us started before 7am, as did traffic noise out front on Orange Avenue. The "continental breakfast" is nothing but mini muffins and danishes and coffee/tea. The staff was very nice, but we decided that despite the location, the overall quality is just not worth the money (around $189). This is a property that is badly in need of some updating.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Needs updating
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank TrvlAgtRet
Mississippi
Reviewed 20 August 2006

I found out about this place from this site, and I called them directly. They were the most affordable motel in the area, and as I had three kids with me, they allowed us all to stay in the same room [no extra charge] with a roll-away bed. It was close to the beach [we walked out there many times]. It was surrounded by little shops and deli's. The pool was clean and quite. The complimentry beach towels were a great touch. We found the staff very accomodating but generally didn't see them too much.
The room was okay [not the Hilton] but it was good since we didnt spend much time there. Overall, I would go there with the family but for just my husband and I , I prefer something a little more luxurious. I liked it, though. I'd recommend it to a family any day!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Air conditioner wasn't too great
  • Tips/Secrets — Shop around
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Vixkix69
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 19 August 2006

I used to live in San Diego and always wanted to stay on Coronado Island for a night. When my fiancee and I went back to San Diego to show her around, we booked a room at La Avenida after reading good reviews about it on TripAdvisor for the past few years. I hadn't been back in a few years so this trip was special to me, considering it was my first trip to SD with my fiancee.

You get what you pay for, but at these rates, one could book a very nice hotel room in other cities. The first room they put me in smelled like smoke.

The second room was better, but smelled like mildew. We both have allergies and didn't get a very good night's sleep all three nights we were there. The room is stark (colorless).

It's painted in greys and whites, with a completely white bathroom. The bathroom was clean, but it just wasn't that comfortable.

Additionally, the pool is not heated, hence it was too cold to swim in last March. I was very disappointed since I swim laps almost daily in Charlotte. I enjoyed my stay in the newer part of the Old Town Inn better than La Avenida because the room was less mildewy (which is probably a result of La Avenida's proximity to the beautiful Coronado beach.

It was nice to be near the cafes of Coronado, as well as the Del. But the service at the Del's bar is terrible and I felt like I was treated like a number there.

And at La Avenida, the new guy at the front desk who was working there for the season didn't know a thing about San Diego.

I'd much rather stay in downtown La Jolla, or the Old Town Inn for something budgetary next time. Also, it's hard to please a local, since my apartment in town had a nice view of the ocean and was roomy, but I expect a hotel to be a little homier and less mildey than La Avenida. My fiancee was even more disappointed.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — mildew smell, stark appearance of room
  • Tips/Secrets — research more closely the hotel beforehand, don't rely just on reviews
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Charlottecouple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 May 2006

Stayed here many times before for the following reasons:

1. Location - 50 yards from Hotel Del
2. Price - have always paid 89-119 per night
3. Extremely clean rooms
4. Big room between bathroom and bedroom - almost like walk in closet
5. Small, but clean and nice pool
6. I've always had a comfortable bed.

The paper thin walls got the best of me this time. Had to change rooms at 10:30 pm. due to crying baby next door. Moved to 1st floor room at the back, which at first seemed like the best, but discovered there was a bench across from my room which smokers used since all rooms are non-smoking - lots of traffic - too much noise. 2 rooms on the 1st floor were receiving new windows - the sawing started at 7:00 a.m. - don't know how they got away with that - I was up for work, but I assume many others weren't.

I think I was more tolerant in my younger days and more in need of a bargain - I don't think I will stay here again, but I have good memories!

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 December 2005

My wife and I stayed at Inn in June 2005. Great location, rooms very clean. Sure it's got some thin walls, but how much time do you spend in your room. We
have recommend the inn to all our friends. When we are in San Diego, we will be staying at the Inn.

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego
Reviewed 6 November 2005

My sister and her family were staying at the Hotel Del for several days in late August. As an end of the summer local get-away I decided to stay a couple nights in Coronado with my two children.

In an attempt to save money, I booked two nights at the La Avenida. I certainly was not disillusioned to think the motel was at the same level as the Del, but I did not think that I was reserving a room at the local Motel 6 either.

We checked in and were given a room on the first floor right next to the ice machine. Upon making the reservation I had requested a room on the second floor. I went back to the front desk and requested a different room. For several minutes the front desk clerk conferred with a woman that apperaed to be the owner. I was eventually given keys to an additional room that was on the second floor, but it faced an alley. Our "alley" view consisted of cars, bull-dozers (construction was being done to a business across the alley) and employees from the local Chinese restaurant smoking in the alley.

I obviously did not open the window, to not only avoid the noise but the smell of cigarette smoke as well.

The room was basic. Two beds with a t.v. It was outdated with worn comforters and sparse furnishings. The air conditioner was located in another small hallway like area next to the bathroom. I thought it was an odd place for an ac unit.

We unloaded our luggage and made our way to spend time with my sister.

On our way out we checked out the very small and slightly dirty pool. There were a few guests sitting by the pool, one in her bra and panties.

We spent a nice evening with my sister and her family and we reluctantly headed back to the La Avenida.

The beds were uncomfortable and we all eventually fell asleep. We did not need an alarm clock because we were awoken by the noise of the bull-dozers and construction crews outside our window.

We got up and showered. I would have blow dryed my hair, but the room did not have a blow-dryer. We went to the lobby (for lack of a better word) and were going to eat the free continental breakfast that was included in the rate. The breakfast consisted of a few danishes and some coffee. Needless to say we opted for breakfast elsewhere.

I decided that one night at the La Avenida was enough for me. I checked out and got a room at the Hotel Del. It was certainly worth the extra $150.00.

• Stayed August 2005