“Nice...but once is more than enough!”

Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We were looking forward to staying here, after enjoying an exceptional stay at Loews' Portofino Bay property in Orlando and went out of our way to include it in our last holiday. After looking at the website we decided to splurge a little and upgrade to a partial bay view, a sliver of unremarkable water wedged between two wings of the hotel.
Overall, the resort resembled seaside holiday flats and not particularly luxurious ones at that!
The pool area was nice, but nothing special, we had to pay extra for the internet, to use the gym and to park! The latter charge verging on the ridiculous as we were 5-6 Kilometres from the nearest habitation.
Unfortunately the hotel didn't live up to its hype and we won't bother returning.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Cardinal2004

Reviewed 16 April 2013

This hotel is at the far end of Coronado Island away from everything. It cost us $32 (there and back) to take a taxi into the main part of town for dinner one night. The hotel provides a free shuttle car which holds 7 people and it only runs certain times, plus you have to book in advance to get on it.

Pros
Family friendly hotel with lots of kids.
Large room #3105
Comfortable king bed
Clean room
New modern furniture
40" Flat screen TV
Housekeeping bought rollaway bed promptly
Free Wi-Fi in the lobby
Pool and outside area was well kept
Lots for the kids to do.
Staff was friendly and helpful.
Good coffee machine in the room

Cons
Room 3105 was on the ground floor,
Rollaway bed cost $25 per day.
The room balcony was 3 feet from the sun loungers by pool.
No privacy from the pool
The noise from the pool area was loud all day.
Not easy to take naps or to get children to sleep during the day in this room.
No free WIFI in the room
Not much storage options in this room.
I am pretty sure they gave us a handicap room because why else would we had a wooden chair in the shower and motion detection lights when you entered the bathroom
Bathroom floor could be easily flooded by the shower.
No place to hang wet swim suits in the bathroom.
Counter space in bathroom was limited.
Restaurants on the property charged above average prices.
Self parking was $20 per day.
Beach was a walk out of the property and across a road.

Overall opinion - we would not stay there again only because we like to be closer to restaurants and shopping. Now if this place was closer to town or they updated their shuttle car to a bus with more regular departure and pick up times then yes we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Do not pick room 3105 if you want a nice quiet room. It is on the ground floor with a balcony 3 fee...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank vivnoaln
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We were thrilled with our upgrade to a suite with an outstanding view of the bay!! The suite was nicely decorated, beds very comfortable....the balcony was very nice..the bathroom was also lovely.....if you go there, try and book a suite with a bay view..you will not be disappointed...The staff at this Loews are all very friendly and helpful..Only problem with the hotel is the distance out of Coronado to get there....

Room Tip: Our suite was in the first building....1223.....great view....very quiet, actually....corner suite...
2  Thank SheridanGreymare
Reviewed 15 April 2013

My husband and I stayed here over the weekend for our anniversary. First off let me say that parking was ridiculously expensive... $25 per day! The rooms were simply ok. Our shower had hair, the walls were dusty and paper thin. In the mornings we were woken up by our upstairs neighbor walking around and slamming their doors. Unfortunately my husband got the stomach flu after eating in the hotel. I went to the front desk to explain my husbands illness and asked for some medication. The young lady proceeded to hand me a basket full of random meds. I then choose two small items and she charged me for them. Not even after I explained that he was ill after eating in their hotel!!!! After coming home we noticed strange charges to our card that we did not authorize. After several phone calls we were told that we were being charged for using the mini bar. We never even had possession of the key at any point of our stay there. There was another charge made to our card the night we stayed in our room due to my husbands illness. therefore we KNOW it wasn't us. This one we are still trying to solve. Oh the frustration this place has caused!!!!

Room Tip: request a room on the top floor to avoid hearing neighbors walking around.
2  Thank veroy2326
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Was sent an email from Jason Moss stating he wanted to surprise my wife with Champagne and strawberries for her birthday and our anniversary. Per the email they would be delivered at 5:00pm sharp, thirty minutes after our arrival. At 6:30pm there was no delivery. I politely excused myself to the outside patio to call room service. The people were very rude, basically treated me like I was crazy for asking that. They finally figured it out and said it would be right up. It never came. The next evening they called and said it was coming, I told the girl forget it we were out for the night, I said do not deliver it. When we got back later that evening they had ignored my request. Let themselves in, and by this time there was a warm bottle of champagne in melted water! Awesome!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
1  Thank Matthew H
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The overall hotel experience was nice. Staff were friendly and the rooms were really nice, especially the bathroom. The amenities were great too: ping pong tables, spa, adult/child pool, tennis courts. The only issue with this hotel are the location and fees. If you need to travel to Chula Vista or Imperial Beach, then you're fine but heading back up to midway San Diego can take half an hour. So a car is a must unless you plan to stay at the hotel your entire visit.
The other issue is that there are fees for everything: $25 parking fee, environmental fees, and using the coffee cups are $1.50 in the room, using the mini fridge is a fee.

Be careful and look over your bill when you leave as well as your bank account. They charged me a mistaken extra $100 and then when I got home, an extra $10 unspecified. Their billing department doesn't work Sundays so I needed to wait the following morning and could only leave a message with the staff on the line.

1  Thank ianjoel
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I love this resort. Location is great, good views , nice rooms and I love the fact that you can bring your pets but please, please, please ...get a grip on your room service selection.
The food selection is pathetic ..I'm looking at the menu as I type this, here are the 3 entrees for dinner: grilled short rib, airline chicken breast and BBQ rubbed salmon...that's it !
In addition just 3 sandwiches, 2 salads and 3 appetizers..
After a day walking sometime I enjoy to relax, watch a movie and have room service...not here..to bad.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Piero P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Downtown
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!