“Great property with phenomenal staff”

Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sunnyvale, CA
“Great property with phenomenal staff”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I was here for a conference. It's across the freeway from the beach but they have a shuttle service that takes your there through a tunnel. The hotel itself is removed from the freeway by about a quarter mile so it's not at all an issue.

The hotel was very pleasant but the staff are really what made it 5-star.

The only complaint is that the buildings are so spread out. I was in building 3 and it was a lot of walking from the lobby/conference rooms to my hotel room. If I were in building 5 I probably would have just cut through the pool area to save time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DjiboutiIVL
LoewsCoronadoBay, General Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We're pleased that you found the hotel to be very pleasant and the staff to be 5-star. We hope to welcome you back to Loews Coronado Bay soon.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (944)
Irvine, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is our second time staying at the hotel and we were very impressed with the friendliness of the staff and the cleanliness of the hotel. We also really like the shuttle golf carts to and from the beach and the opportunity to use chairs, towels and boogie boards at the beach. Janee from the Pool Cantina Bar was especially nice in getting our group our many pitchers of Patron margaritas. The only down side is that downtown Coronado is not within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a Marina/Ocean/Bay view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jim S
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions. We're delighted that you were very impressed with our staff and the cleanliness of the hotel, and we're also glad that Janee assisted in topping off those margaritas by the pool. We hope to welcome you back to Loews Coronado Bay soon.

Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Overall, the hotel is nice and location is decent.
When we checked in at the front desk we were not greeted with a welcoming smile and our original reservation was wrong. When I explained that I called all the way back in March and told them I needed 2 double beds she said, that my "request was not granted"… It wasn't a request it was confirmed via the reservation agent that I followed up with about my reservation. She seemed irritated and had no suggestions on how she could fix their mistake. I had to ask for a roll away bed myself which seemed to irritate her even more.
The pool area staff has to be the worst at any hotel I have ever stayed…. with the exception of one waitress named Brittany. She is the ONLY one that has a clue of what customer service means. I suggest, you ask where her section is when finding your spot by the pool. She is very personable, remembers your name, introduces herself and is quick and precise with your order. Take care of her well and you have made a loyal friend and that will never leave you unattended. I wish all of them would be even half way customer service orientated as Brittany.
It's unacceptable when your paying $14 bucks per drink and you have a large party spending money to have terrible service. An area of concern is the waitress EDILIA P. by the pool. We had signed and paid our tab and realized she never returned my credit card. I went up to the bartender and explained the situation and she told me , "to keep an eye out for her that she probably had it". After waiting another 45 minutes I finally spotted her at the bar and asked her for my card back. She responded by saying, "I have it" and then walked off to delivery her drinks and still didn't return my card! I finally told my husband to track her down and demand my credit card back. He stopped her again and told her we needed my credit card back. She finally gave it back and then turned to the male waiter and said in a very snotty tone, "I told them I had it".
What I don't understand is she knew she had it, I asked for it and she seemed reluctant to return it. What was she doing with it after the bar tab had been paid? I will be watching my fraud alert for the next few months that is for sure!
The hotel service all around needs a lot of improvement! Front desk people, pool staff and bar staff inside the hotel was Terrible! It's to bad because the hotel is actually nice and great for families. I know that it was a busy weekend due to the Soccer in the Sand event with a ton of kids running around, but it's still unacceptable to not be welcoming and accommodating.
Coronado is a beautiful place and I plan to visit it again with my family, but I will probably check out a few different options before returning to Loews.

Room Tip: Make sure your reservation is solid prior to checking in and get a receipt in writing stating what k...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in detail. We understand that you were here for the very busy Soccer in the Sand weekend and we sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. We tried our best to accommodate everyone's requests. We appreciate your comments with our management team to ensure more attentive service.

Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and I were at the Loews Coronado last week for a conference. The check-in was very smooth, room ready when we arrived (11am - yippee!). The room was clean, nice colors, fairly large deck with chairs and view. Loved the bathroom, very large with, BIG tub! Sadly, the intestinal virus my family had passed around the week previous hit me hard on our first night at Loews. I stayed in the king-sized bed from Tuesday night until Thursday morning, with almost no breaks. The bed was sooooo comfortable. I would happily have given Loews my credit card and packed the bed up to take home with us - yes, it was THAT comfortable. Really, a hotel stay is all about the bed with a lot of nice touches like meals, decor, service, views, location, etc. The bed was incredible. Did I mention that??

The hotel itself was very nice, the service was really great too. We went for dinner with a small group the first night and it was going to be a long wait to get into the Market restaurant. Our wonderful server in the bar arranged to bring us the full menu from the Market and to serve our meal there - no extended waiting - nice job!

I so wish I'd been well enough to enjoy ALL of the amenities at this hotel but those I did were GREAT.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
LoewsCoronadoBay, General Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We're so pleased that you experienced a seamless check-in and that you enjoyed your guestroom; however, we're very disappointed to hear that you were ill for a significant part of your trip. We hope to welcome you back to Loews Coronado Bay soon so that you can take FULL advantage of our wonderful resort amenities.

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is off the beautiful stretch of the Silver Strand. It's location is perfect because it provides lush grounds located directly in water. I have stayed many times at the competitor down the street and will say that Loews attention to detail is excellent. Another great feature of this hotel is that it is spread out with room to move freely; various patios to quietly read or enjoy a cocktail. I can't say enough good things and do plan to return.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Darce L
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions. We're delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic location and that you found our attention to detail to be excellent. We look forward to welcoming you back to Loews Coronado Bay soon.

Eastvale, California
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and I came here for a wedding and decided to make a romantic trip out of it since we were kid and dog free ( although we found we could of brought our St. Bernard!!) .... And couldn't of asked for better! From the moment we drove up we were treated amazing! The food at Mistral was 1st class, our room was beautiful with a complimentary upgrade and Gordon at the concierge desk went out of his way to make our weekend amazing! I had to drop off my dress for an emergency clean and Elizabeth was able to get it into a cleaners,and Gordie had my dress picked up for me from the dry cleaners in town and I was able to stay poolside and not stress before the wedding. He even came to get the money for the dress from me at the pool so I didn't have to leave!! Then he surprised us after the wedding with champaign and strawberries!! I have casino hosts and have dealt with other concierges, but Gordie was Amazing! Truly the best example of service I have ever encountered!! Even Jeff in the Market brought me a pitcher of Mr pibb with a staw when I asked for and "big" glass lol. Thanks to Gordie and all the other amazing staff we met, we will be making this a "go to" getaway for us for a long time to come.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Samantha B
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're thrilled that you experienced first class dining in Mistral and that you were treated amazing by our staff -- notably Gordie, Elizabeth and Jeff. We are extremely proud of our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort for your future getaways.

Bristol
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We only stayed in this hotel for two nights and have been to this hotel previously.

The outlook is very pretty on the water and surrounded by yachts. Whilst you really need a car to properly enjoy the area I would say it is a cheek they charge you for parking per day as well as a resort fee per night.

The breakfast portions are generous and with plenty of options. Leave yourself plenty of time though as we sat outside and seemed half forgotten about as took ages to order and the food to come. I also asked for a tea pot refill which I did not get.

Used the sea spa which I enjoyed and had the coconut wrap. I hadn't done this before and found it odd to be showered on the massage bed itself. Credit to the lady that did it though, she was discreet and told me what was happening when.

My main criticism of this hotel would be of the paper thin walls which means you can hear your neighbours conversations as well as slamming doors in the corridor.

Would I stay again? Probably, if the cheaper rate and breakfast vouchers included once again but I do prefer The Del.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Japonicastar
LoewsCoronadoBay, General Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the resort as well as your experience at Sea Spa; however, we regret to hear of your issues at breakfast. Our restaurants continually receive high ratings and we wish you could have experienced our typical quality service. We hope you will stay with us again and allow us the opportunity to address the issues of concern.

Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado
Mission Bay Park
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!