“Not to be repeated”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester
“Not to be repeated”
Reviewed 22 May 2009

Stayed at Loews for a few days during Easter Break.We had booked a marina/pool view room and paid extra.On check in we were allocated a room facing the car park and stacks of shipping containers.On stating that this was not acceptable the reception infomed me that this was an upgrade. I insisted on having my original room if this was an upgrade!! It took until the third room offered until we saw a marina/pool view!!!! The room was newly decorated to a high standard and we were happy with it.Dining in the hotel in the evening is an experience not to be repeated.One night we ate in the formal resturant (dreadful) and the next night in the informal resturant ( even worse). The cold pizza that eventually arrived was inedible and I sent it back to the kitchen. There was no acceptable level of staff service .We asked for a manager and got a full refund immediately.I believe the chef had given notice and left suddenly which would explain the chaos in the kitchen.We paid quite a lot of money to stay here and it was very disappointing because it could have been great.The Dell next time!!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
san diego
Reviewed 20 May 2009

I live in SD, but wanted a local getaway. This was $149/night on Travelocity for a Garden Room. We were top floor with views of the Coronado bridge, and downtown. Pool was great, but the best was the room. Looked recently remodeled...huge tub, glass shower, neat tile with bamboo accents. Really top notch. Hit up the spa while I was there...it was pricey...but it is a resort.

There is a $23 charge for parking that is unavoidable...but I knew that going in.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
oregon
Reviewed 10 May 2009

very nice room and excellent view. Staff very friendly and polite. We were given a $500 credit for food and drinks for staying over 6 days but we were charged for getting drinks and food from the gift shop. Manager wouldn't help out at check out and thought that was very poor customer service since we asked 3 different staff members about the gift shop. Other than that episode, we were pleased with our staying at Loew's.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
phoenix
Reviewed 30 April 2009

My fiancee and I stayed for 3 days at this resort. Its beautiful, the staff is very professional and the room and the view from the room was spectacular. The room was up to date in decor, it had a seaside theme and a flat screen tv , the bathroom was very big and spacious. We loved it. The only downside is it being so far from downtown coronado, we had to take a taxi every time we wanted to go into san diego or coronado. Next time we will rent a cab or stay closer to the mainland. Otherwise, our stay was perfect.

Midlands
Reviewed 28 April 2009

My husband, small daughter and I stayed here for five nights in April. We had a nice room with two double beds, desk area, seating, plasma TV, CD player / radio alarm clock, tea and coffee making facilities, in room safe, iron / board. The room was nicely decorated to a high standard. There was also a large bathroom, with a huge bath tub, separate shower and plenty of towels and toiletries, hair dryer etc. We also had a large balcony which overlooked the pool.

At the time of our stay the hotel was very quiet as a very large party which booked out the entire hotel for a few weeks had just left.

The hotel is split into 5 wings which extend from the main reception area in a line. We were in wing 5 which is the furthest from the reception and main entrance – a good walk! Whilst you can park under your wing and take a lift up to your room from the car park, if you struggle with walking it may be better to request a room in wing 1 or 2 when you book.

I have split the rest of this review into positive and negatives:

Positives
Rooms
The room was nice and was well maintained. The beds were extremely comfy and the linens were clean and crisp. The balcony was great and it was nice to watch the activities in the pool area.

Pool area
The pool area was nice and there were plenty of sun loungers and towels available. We ate once at the poolside café and whilst it was pricey the food was good and plentiful. The pool area was great for children and there were plenty of pool toys, a sand box. The pools were heated and split into adults only, adults and kids and kids – great for parent who worry that their little darlings are being a nuisance to adults in the pool! There were also two spas which were good.

General Areas
The reception, restaurant and bar areas were all nice and the staff generally friendly and helpful (although not always). We ate once in the ground floor restaurant (can’t remember the name). The choice was good and there was a separate kids menu. The food was good if a little pricey. We had a table outside and it was nice to watch the boats and generally relax.

Internet
There was free wireless in the hotel lobby and a business centre if you don’t bring your lap top (there was a charge for this).

Staff
The majority of staff we came into contact with were extremely helpful and very nice – there were a few exceptions. There had been a big conference at the hotel when we arrived and I think they were pushed to the limit.

Location
The location was great and was in very easy reach of San Diego and Coronado centre. However a car is essential if you are intending to leave the complex.

Negatives
Housekeeping
The housekeeping was AWFUL, whilst our room was clean – everything else was a bit of a nightmare. When we first arrived we had coffee and cups but no coffee maker. Everything was just a bit too slap dash and ad hoc. Sometimes we had a bathmat sometimes not, dirty towels not taken away but we had new ones as well – one day we were drowning in towels etc etc. It sounds very trivial but was annoying at the time. I would expect much better from a Loews hotel or similar.

Pool & pool area
The edges of the pool were dangerously slippy – my daughter fell a number of times, through no fault of her own. The pool bar was shut during the week, meaning we had to use the hotel bars to get drinks etc (not ideal when you have to watch a child in the pool).

Parking
There was valet and self parking available both were ludicrously expensive – there is no need to charge to park when the hotel has so much space and is in a location which requires you to have a car!

International Phone Calls
We had to make an emergency call back to the UK during our stay. The first call we made didn’t connect and the call we made was 8mins. We expected it to be expensive as calls from hotels usually are but there was no tariff so we just made the call anyway – like I say URGENT! When we came to check out our mouths nearly hit the floor – they had the audacity to try and charge $23 for the unconnected call and $73 for our connected call!!!! To be fair they waived the $73 after some negotiation but still we feel it is a bit cheeky! Fair enough charge an astronomical rate but at least publicise it!

In summary we had a very nice time at the Loews but would be reluctant to return during peak season, it seems to me that they were only just keeping it together with a minimal number of guests

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank didigriff
Los Angeles
Reviewed 10 April 2009

I must admit that when I booked my 1st year wedding anniversary stay at the Loews Coronado Bay I noticed that it's tripadvisor rating was a 5 out of 19. To date, I have NO idea why this hotel is not rated #1 to stay at. I cannot begin to say enough good things about this resort.

First off, you should know that what makes this hotel attractive is that as resorts go, it's not excessively large or overdone. Actually, it feels very intimate and cute and petite. It has just enough of each amenity to keep you contented and comfortable, but the exceptional aspects of this hotel are the staff, the service, and the rooms. So many resorts focus their attention on the lobby and the grounds, but as a result the rooms really suffer unless you get a suite. However, the rooms at the Loews are beach-style modern, light, very elegant, and in fantastic condition. You won't find frayed carpeting, old bedding, thin towels or peeling bathroom paper. These rooms are just terrific, kinda funky as far as decor, and wonderfully light and airy.

But the best part is the service. To begin with, I booked a room for my husband and I for our 1st year wedding anniversary for a Saturday-Monday stay. At the last minute I ran into a rather dramatic work snaffoo and couldn't get down to Coronado until extremely late. I called the front desk and not only did they waive the cancellation fee, but they upgraded our next day reservation to a larger room with a sea view and soaking tub, and they allowed us to keep our dining credit normally reserved for two nights. When we arrived at the hotel at about a quarter to 12, (the check in time is 4pm btw) we were greeted extremely warmly. We were then upgraded again to a suite, and given the keys FOUR HOURS ahead of check in! So actually even though we missed a night we ended up with a full, 24 hour stay. The staff was impeccable. Crystal, the day-time front desk associate, called ahead for a dining reservation for us at a local restaurant and even had them set aside a table with a view and prepare a free, surprise souffle for our dining experience! We were given every luxury and were overwhelmed by the staff's personable attention to every detail. When we went down to brunch after check in we got sneaked in under the last seating, and mimosas were served as part of the morning meal. Now normally I think 18$ is a little steep for a breakfast buffet, but did I mention that my mimosa was refilled 5 times!!? Awesome!!

The waitstaff at Mistral, (the on site restaurant) were so attentive. Even though the breakfasts were buffets our drinks never ran low, and our waitress the second morning gave us some great tips on neighborhood dining and other local attractions.

To sum up, the hotel is darling and perfectly maintained. Even if you go with the standard room rather than the suite, it's just lovely. The pools are small but charming and there is an adult only section, which for those of us who are childless is just heaven! I cannot attest to the main dining facilities because we really only ate breakfast at Mistral. Breakfast is a simple affair. Nothing super fancy, but there's a lot of everything and it's fresh and light.

Also, this hotel is not in town. It's at the end of the peninsula, but it's only a 7 minute car ride right back into town and personally, I like the feeling of seclusion that it engenders. There are also tennis courts and I was charmed by all the pet owners running about. This hotel is pet friendly, but you'd never know it by the look of the place. It's spotless and odor fresh. I watched kids playing on the greenery with their dogs and it was wonderful.

In short, there's something for everyone here. It's secluded and romantic for couples, but there's plenty for families with kids to do, and small and intimate so you don't go racing around a huge overdone resort just to get some ice.

I really, really think this hotel is wonderful and highly, highly recommend a stay. Unlike the Dell, which looks musty, dark and somewhat creepy, this place is light, airy and modern. Thumbs up on all counts, and especially for Adam and Crystal at the front desk who made our anniversary completely magical. I would stay again and again!!

1 Thank NoaBolozky
Middlefield, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 March 2009

We chose this hotel for the location and the price, but came to love it for the service we received. I booked this trip through Expedia for what I thought was an excellent price, $90 per night, plus $22 per night for parking. This hotel is currently being renovated, so be sure to ask for a renovated room. Our room had a flat-screened television and a balcony overlooking the bay and a garden with a gazebo, very pretty. Although we did not use the pool area, we checked it out and it looked very nice. There are tennis courts adjacent to the pool area, and you can watch people playing and taking lessons......I must add that every time we saw people playing tennis they looked like they were ready to go on tour......at least to me they did. Very good tennis players practice and take lessons there. The people cleaning the rooms did a fantastic job, the front desk was very accomodating to anything we asked. There is one gift shop that I enjoyed shopping in; they even had gifts for dogs. (This is a dog friendly hotel) We did not try room service or did not eat at the hotel so we could not comment on that.

There is a public beach across the street from the hotel. There is a tunnel that takes you under the street to the opposite side where the beach is. It is a very "natural" beach. It seemed like it would be a good beach for someone who wanted privacy. I did notice bathrooms there also. There is a nice walking path between the street and the beach. Unfortunately, it is lower than the beach itself so you can't see the beach when you are walking. However, if you don't mind walking on the sand you could walk forever. The beaches are very nice.

A couple things we did not like. The parking is very close and it's very difficult to find a spot. The carpeting in the elevators and hallways has not been renovated as yet, so it is very old and dated.

All in all I would love to go back again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Hotel del Coronado
#8 of 16 in Coronado
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,011 reviews

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!