“Don't get Tricked like me..Looks are incredibly deceiving. Disgusting and Old”

Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 March 2007

A wedding on a Coronado navy base with my girlfirend sounded like a nice Valentine's weekend, right? Not right. How did I end up at the Lowes hotel? Well, the answer is that I was stupid enough to think that I could find a place about as nice as the Del Coronado but a little easier on my wallet (I'm sure a lot of you are thinking the same thing). I had also thought I could drive around Coronado and find something that LOOKED nice without checking tripadvisor or anything else. God was that stupid and this is why:

The Lowes is TRICKY. It looks nice from afar. The hotel is sort of on a nice little islet. It is layed out nicely and there is a cute little harbor with boats next to it. The website is good. The lobby is really pretty cool. It is basically the only part of the hotel that has had work done on it in the last 25 years. The lobby is big part of the reason people hand over their credit cards. THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT THE LOWES IS NOW OVER!

They gave us a "walk in" rate of $250 at the front desk (only about $40 less than the Del Coronado). We walk into the room and like the hotel itself, it looks Ok from a distance. I pull out the TV and lay on the bed and realize that the mattress hasn't been turned in 25 years. My back is almost on the floor. I struggle to the middle of the bed and hang on for dear life, but end up falling into the indentation on the other side. In the bed, there is a dead, dry, rose petal, most likely from Valentine's Day two days before. The bedspread is filthy and has white stuff caked on it (not kidding you at all). Before I can call the desk and ask for a new room, I have to go to the bathroom. You wouldn't believe it--$250 and the bathtub is grimy. There are at least 5 curly hairs in it (not long enough for head hairs, but short enough for, well, you know) , and the tub is still wet. The shower is even worse. Not only was it caked in grime like the tub, but I could see immediatly the dirt and hair coming out of the drain. I turned the water on and as I thought, the shower was barely draining.

So, I called and told them that the room was disgusting and asked to change rooms. They sort of acted like they were expecting my call about 4 minutes earlier. They sent someone up with a key for a room down the hall. It wasn't so disgusting. It was like something you'd walk into a Motel 6 and see and say, "This isn't so bad." But this is where it really get's good. Later that night, I used the toilet for the first time. I only went #1, I promise, but the toilet started overflowing. Water poured out everywhere and wouldn't stop. My girlfriend was about to stab me with the frozen snickers from the mini bar that was way too cold (this was sort of our Valentine's day trip) so I took off my socks and tiptoed through my pee so I could try to dismantle the valve. The water would only stop if I held a lever inside the back of the toilet so I stood there for about 10 minutes while we waited for maintence. The guy who showed up was just great. It was obvious that he kept the hotel, or whatever is left of it together on his own. He fixed the toilet, mopped up the bathroom (just used the towels to dry the floor, no real mopping (girlfriend thought that was disgusing but I was OK with it since it was my pee), and then restocked the towels all by himself.

The next morning I call the front desk and ask for the manager. Someone takes down my name and room number and says the manager is in a meeting and he will call me back. 1 hour later and nobody calls, so I call back and say I'll hold until they can find him. It gave me the feeling that they are used to complaints to the manager and found that if they don't call back, a lot of people will give up complaining. Anyway, when he finally gets on the phone I tell him about everything from switching rooms to standing in my own pee. He says that he will give me half off of the first night (we are staying for two nights) and sort of laughs when he says it like I'm ripping HIM off! I wanted to ask him to take a shower in that first room we stayed in but was worried he would get the wrong idea--me being from San Francisco and all.

I could go on, but you get the picture. Actually, this place is so awful that I will go on. I was stupid enough to get a massage. Like the rest of the hotel, the spa looked great from the outside. They gym sort of sucked (TV's couldn't really be seen from machines), but it was OK. The locker room was newly remodeled or newly built and was just great. It was clean and had nice amenities. Because of this, again becuase things looked so nice on the outside, I got tricked into paying $200 for a 80 minute massage. That's as pricy as a massage gets, and it would have been Ok except the therapist (only one there), gave a massage like my little 13 year old sister might give me. It was like she'd never been to school, didn't know anatomy, and was just moving her hands in the same motion the whole time. She also forgot my calves--$200/80 minutes!! Finally, my girlfirend scheduled a hair appointment since she was in the wedding and whoever scheduled it made it for the wrong time and she couldnt' get it done.

When I was checking out, I told the lady at the front desk how awful the stay was when she asked. She was very helpful even though I remember she was the one who gave me the first room upon check in. I'm glad she asked how the stay was or I would have let it go. After telling her all the woes of my stay, the discussion ended with her going to the back room and talking to the manager. When she came back she told us that we would get the first night free. So, all in all I ended up paying about $500 for two nights and one massage...STILL FELT SCREWED OVER!!

Next time, if someone puts a gun to my head and makes me go over that bridge from San Diego to Coronado, I will pay whatever it costs and stay at the Del Coronado.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
7  Thank cwagner007
Write a ReviewReviews (4,557)

Reviewed 4 March 2007

I purchased a 2 for 1 deal to stay at the Leows Coronado. It was nice and relaxing but experienced a few problems. I had heard what a great brunch the Loews had, so I called two weeks in advance. When we arrived, they informed me that they did not do brunch anymore, only a buffet. When we arrived for the buffet, my reservation did not exist either, they did however, seat us anyway. At dinner in the Marketplace, our server did not know how to pour a beer. In fact, 1/2 the beer foamed out onto the table...a replacement was not offered. We were in Bldg 1 above the hot tub. At 1:00 a.m. I had to call security to remove loud guests that woke us up. Again the next morning, guests were in the hot tub at 6:30 a.m. Although pool hours are posted, they are not strongly enforced. The food in the Marketplace (breakfast and dinner) is good, service was so-so, and I think, over very priced. Average meal with tip $75.00 The spa has a steam room/sauna that you can use at no charge, this is not advertised. The service at the cantina was short staffed...so much so that we received our meal for free (they could not find it in the computer). Overall, the weekend nice and relaxing, but I am glad we did not pay full price for both nights. The hotel grounds really do have a resort feel to them. I would definitely go back if I can find another 2 for 1 deal.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2007

I attended a corporate event, but liked it so much I want to come back with my spouse for a long weekend in warmer weather. The property is about a 5-10 minute drive from the town of Coronado -- you need a car to go anywhere. But it's more secluded and quieter than the somewhat fancier Del Coronado.

The room was very nice -- spacious, relaxing color scheme, nice little balcony (though I had a garden view, not water). The bed was extraordinarily comfortable, with high quality linens and plenty of pillows. Best hotel bed I've had in years. Big flat screen TV. A decent work desk and high speed Internet (though you have to pay extra for it). Spotless bathroom, high quality toiletries. Towels a little thin but plentiful.

I never ate in the restaurants but the catered meals for our event were pretty good. Wide selection, good quality, even some rather ambitious ideas. (Watermelon soup, anyone?)

Beautiful pools. Terrific views. Pretty landscaping. Wish I'd had time to try the spa.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2007

I was extremely disappointed with this hotel. The website pictures were beautiful and it seemed like the perfect place to stay. Looks are deceiving. The room was definitely not worth the high price. The walls were so thin that I could hear the person snoring in the room next store. The hotel was advertised as a resort with many thing for the family to do. Not true, there was nothing to do. There was a corporate affair going on while we were there and it seemed like that was all the staff cared about. There were not activities for adults or kids. The teen lounge was really disappointing. It was a tiny room with a tv, video game, and a computer that you needed to enter a credit card number to use because it wasn't free. There was also vidoe games in the room which were $7 each. Nothing was included. The parking was $18.00 per day, which is excessive, considering all of the empty spots in the parking garage. We ate at the restaurant one night an it was great, but the hours are limited to 5 PM to 9PM. We ate there a second night, and the food was terrible and the portions were half the size they were the previous night we ate there. I got the same thing both nights, and I swear that it was left over and reheated. It was that bad!! The beds were comfortable and the pools were clean, but that's about it. Also, the bar by the pools were not open on weekdays, only weekends, and closed early. This hotel is also very far from everything and parking is had to find in town or on the beach. I would not recomend this hotel at all. Stay at one in town!!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2007

We stayed at the Loews Coronado Resort during president's weekend. It's secluded and not as pretty as the pictures from websites. Walls are extremely thin We could hear our next door neighbors talking and toilets flushing all day long!

We, like any others who reviewed this hotel, booked a premium bay view and requested a room in the 5th building. We ended up in building #2 with a view of another building, parking lot and limited view of the ocean. We complained about it but they insisted we had the premium room.

Very disappointed with the service. Thought a 5 star hotel like loews would have a more attentive staff. No "Hellos" when passing by. I had mentioned we were celebrating my birthday - nothing special was set up for us, not even a simple "happy birthday".

DOn't stay here!!! better off at "tower 23" or "westin horton plaza"

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2007

This is top notch!!! Not cheap but a great value for your money knowing that you are staying at a clean elegant hotel. Great food. The beds!!! Oh, the beds!!!!! They are covered with solid white down comforters, (you know they just came from the laundry) and incredibly comfortable pillows and beds. Not much activities, but a great location to go anywhere. La Hoya, dowtown, los angelos (1 1/2) . See Balboa Park, spend the whole day! Also, great pool. Pricy food, but it's par for the course if you want a real classy place, but most importantly, NOT pretentious. We loved it

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank Carol1965
Reviewed 26 January 2007

I decided to book the Loews Coronado Bay Resort because of the reviews on this site. Being completely unfamiliar with the place, I was a little concerned, but I need not have worried.

The resort is situated in a beautiful spot, south of town. I had reserved a Premium Bay View Room, and requested something with a lovely and unobstructed view. I was told that they could not reserve particular rooms but they would make a note and try to honor my request. When I checked in, I was delighted to find that my room had a gorgeous view! I was in Building #3 and had a breathtaking panorama of the bay with the city in the distance.

The room was very clean and nicely appointed, although I wouldn't describe it as luxurious. Some of the furnishings were a little worn and scratched, which was a slight detraction, but no big deal -- the view more than made up for it! I found the bed to be very comfortable and they provided more than enough pillows, blankets, towels and amenities, as well as two comfy bathrobes.

The only real complaint I had with the room (and the reason I didn't give five stars) was because of the very noisy heating system. It may have just been a problem in my room, with my vent, but it had a continuous loud knocking noise, which was hard to ignore. I would have asked to switch rooms, but I really loved the view I had, so I just kind of figured out a way around it (turned up the heat really high and put it on low fan, which softened the noise a bit).

I enjoyed the spa, which was immaculate. Aside from one large sales meeting, I guess the hotel was pretty slow during my stay and on most mornings I had the entire spa facility to myself. The weather was a bit chilly, so I didn't use the pool, but it was good to know they had three of them -- one each for children, families and adults.

I had guests at the restaurant for breakfast, which we all agreed was very good. It's pricey, but no more than most hotel restaurants, and the portions are very generous. I didn't have dinner at the formal hotel restaurant, but I did hang out at the bar one night -- both the bartender and the serving staff were really friendly and attentive.

I would recommend the Loews Coronado Bay without hesitation and will definitely stay there when I visit the San Diego area again. I've never stayed at any other Loews' properties, but will probably give them a try after the excellent experience I had at Coronado.

Tip -- Join the Loews' club, it's free. You will receive a really nice welcome gift, even on your first stay.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled solo
7  Thank ohmer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 286 in San Diego
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!