“Just OK...”

GreenLeadersSilver level
chicago
“Just OK...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2007

Immediately upon arrival, I was told that I had no reservation. People at the front desk were incompetent at best - no customer service skills whatsoever. I told them that I would have a drink at the bar while I waited for them to straighten it out - $15 for an on-the-rocks drink. Finally, after I was forced to make some phone calls, everything was mysteriously fixed. I also have to mention that when there's a problem, the entire staff runs to hide in a small room off the front desk - very strange...

The room was on the first floor in sec. 3 and the view was OK. The room was decent, although the TV was 90% pay channels.

Be aware that this hotel is not only extremely kid friendly, but also pet friendly. So if you're looking for a romantic getaway, just think a million kids with their dogs making a horrible racket for 20 hours of the day.

The food was not good, and housekeeping (as others mentioned) entered the room at any given time despite the do not disturb sign.

And finally, the hotel is in the middle of nowhere next to a Navy seal training beach (where they blow things up and such)... Sound fun to you?

I loved my trip to San Diego, but next time, I will be staying in the city...

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — A whole lot
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jlydon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2007

As a more contemporary alternative to The Del, Loews Coronado isn't a bad choice, but don't expect perfection for the price.

My husband and I stayed here for a long spring break weekend, to get some sun after months of grey Seattle skies. We were looking for a quiet, mostly self-contained space to just relax and read, and we got that.

We're used to a Hilton level of quality, though we've certainly experienced plenty above and below that, from Motel 6 all the way up to Fairmont. I would say that the overall quality here certainly rates at or above most of the similar-level resorts we've stayed at. We hadn't stayed at a Loews property before, and we were impressed with several of the chain's unique touches and level of customer service. This particular property, however, feels a bit worn, and that kind of makes the bite of the steep room rate and the constant incidental fees a little on the offensive side.

The good:
*Excellent service. We arrived late and were given an incorrect level of room the first night. They switched us to a bay view room with no questions the next day. Staff were always offering assistance, and were very pleasant and friendly.

*Azzura Point. Very expensive, but very worth it. Amazing views, amazing food, wonderful staff. If they're offering the tarte tatin, order it. It's absolutely divine.

*Mini-bar selection. A nice, wide range of items in the room is always nice. Expensive--as is any mini-bar, but variety is what makes those things tick.

*Room service. I've been in places with a wider selection, but few with such great quality. Having at least some snacks available 24 hours is also wonderful.

The not-so-good
*Aging property. Had I paid less than I did (even with a discounted Expedia rate) I would've felt better about the obvious signs of age around the property. I don't think a full remodel is necessary, but they do need to go through and do a maintenance pass pretty much everywhere, to clean up the rough edges here and there. This is far too nice--and expensive--a property to have things like rust around fixtures and stained carpet. These little things took the glow off of what was otherwise a great stay.

*Sunday brunch. The variety and level of offerings were great, but the quality wasn't what something that expensive should be. Even late in the day, dishes should be refreshed more often to avoid a picked-through and messy appearance at each table. Also, some of the hot dishes seemed tired and overcooked.

*Pools. We didn't even bother trying them out. Three pools seems nice, but not when they're all shallow! I expect at least 5-6ft depths in any adult or family pool, yet all three of these were only 3.5, as far as I could tell. There's no point to going for a real swim in something that shallow.

Tips:
*Don't bother with valet parking. You're actually more likely to walk farther to pick up your car from the lobby entrance than if you park under your building. And it's cheaper, too. On particularly busy weekends, you may have trouble finding a spot exactly under your building, but the fan shape of the buildings makes it easy to walk between elevators.

*Request the top floor when booking. You'll get the best views this way, as the lower two floors may have views blocked by angles and foliage. Additionally, don't expect full-range views unless you book one of the suites or villas. The standard bay view rooms don't have water views from the room itself, but you can see plenty from your balcony.

*Get the best rate you can, even if that means not getting the Loews frequent guest benefits. They won't grant you credit for any stays booked through "third party" companies, and the benefits aren't that great anyway, so go for the savings.

*Rent a car. If you want to take in any of Coronado proper or San Diego, you'll need wheels. This is a remote property--nice and quiet if that's what you're going for (I was) but out of the way if you want to be in the middle of everything.

• Liked — Fabulous upscale restaurant
  • Disliked — A little tired and worn
4 Thank Tal100
New Haven, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2007

Beautiful location overlooking the bay with views of the Coronado Bay Bridge and downtown San Diego. The staff is exceptionally friendly and accomodating. The room was pretty nice (flat screen TV, nice furnishings, balcony, etc.) but somewhat of a letdown for the price. For example, the website advertised a "Japanese soaking tub" but it looked like a regular old bathtub.

The price of staying here really escalates once you add on parking, internet, food (you have to eat in the hotel b/c it's really isolated) and nothing is included. For example, there isn't even free internet in the lobby or business center as hotels at this level often offer.

Staying here feels very relaxing. It's great to just lounge out with a book while taking in the beautiful views or to relax by the pool. It isn't as touristy as the Del, so there aren't mobs of people around, only the hotel guests.

• Liked — Treated like a king
  • Disliked — Services overpriced (parking, internet, etc.)
1 Thank schutie
Northern NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2007

This was our first visit to the Loew's Coronado but not our first stay at a Loew's hotel. It is always wise to sign up for the Loew's first program which provides benefits at no extra cost. I am a Loew's gold member.
I made the reservations through the Loew's central reservation line as I was booking two rooms and wanted some assurance that they would be connecting. Prior to our arrival, the hotel front desk confirmed that the rooms would be connecting and they indeed were.
We were in building 2 on the third floor with spectacular views.
Let me start at the beginning:
The town of Coronado is a small enclave over the bridge from San Diego. This hotel is not within the town but a few miles outside of the town. They run a limited shuttle to town on a reserved space basis which we did not use. Bear in mind, with a car, parking in town (which has a number of very fine and varied restaurants) is a nightmare.
There is both self parking and valet parking at the hotel. The charges are steep. $18 a night for self parking and $23 a night for valet parking. Parking is underground and although they suggest that you can park near the elevator of your particular building number, it is hard to do as spaces are limited and blocked off for valet.
The hotel has three stories and has a series of 6 buildings, more like elevator banks that go to a separate area. Building one is closest to the lobby and then 2, 3 ,4 etc. follow.
Check-in was easy and the front desk staff very friendly. The room was clean, the balcony and table and chairs inviting and although the hotel is not new, we had no housekeeping or cleanliness issues during our stay. Although we were close to the elevator, we experienced no noise issues, but our room faced the water and not the pool area.
The pool area is expansive and welcoming. The Cantina (which is the outside food facility by the pool) is only open on the weekends.
The lobby is inviting as most Loew's hotels have couches and casual seating in the lobby area near the bar. Bar prices for premium wines were quite high.
There are two eating options at the hotel, an upscale restaurant on the second floor and the Market Cafe on the lobby level. We ate at both.
The premium restaurant was expensive, service mediocre and menu not designed for a palate that wants to know what one is eating as opposed to what is disguised. I would recommend going off property for upscale eating and the concierge has a list of restaurants in town that you can independently review on the internet.
The day we arrived, they had just activated high speed internet service in the guest rooms. It worked fine but of course there was a fee ($12.95 a day)
The Market Cafe offered a very nice breakfast menu, including some local specials. The breakfast frittata was especially nice and I am not a breakfast person. There was a weekend breakfast buffet on Saturdayat $14 a person that had a variety of fresh fruits, orange juice, hot beverages, eggs (already cooked not made to order) breakfast meats, cereals, yogurt and looked like a decent value for the price. I was told there was a more expansive buffet including omelets on Sunday but did not experience it. There is counter service at the Market Cafe (small area of about 6 seats) which also had Starbucks coffee and muffins, etc. in the morning at standard Starbucks prices, not inflated prices.
Dinner in the Market Cafe was enjoyable but I don't feel that my review of dinner would be worthy and you will understand as you continue to read my comments.
The largest challenge I faced on this trip was addressed by the front desk staff in a prompt and appropriate fashion. I was particularly pleased after traveling with the family for days that there was a self-service washing machine and dryer, which conveniently was on our floor. I immediately set out to wash our dirty laundry. The washing machine began to leak all over the floor. I called engineering who stuffed the leaking pipe with towels and secured a whole bunch of bath towels from the housekeeping dept. What should have taken 40 minutes to dry took about 2 hours. I had three loads and as I continued to wash the dryer got worse and the flooding got worse. I tipped a housekeeping person and asked them to remove my clothes from the dryer as we were going to dinner and I didn't want to prevent anyone else from using the machines. When we got back from dinner some 2-1/2 hours later, the lady was almost in tears telling me that the clothes were still wet. I took them out of the dryer, laid them all over the chairs in our rooms and hiked down to the front desk. The front desk person apologized for my plight and verbally offered us a complimentary meal. After speaking with him I heard nothing and received nothing. The next day I went to the front desk looking for a fax to discover a note of apology and a complimentary dinner in the Market Cafe. Had I not inquired for my fax, I would never have known that the front desk person actually followed through on his offer. The irony, the front desk told me that the washer and dryer had been fixed so I went back to use it one last time only to discover the obvious, the machines had not been fixed.
If you get a discounted rate and don't mind an out of town setting its fine. If you want to walk around town and soak up the local feeling, it isn't the best choice.

• Liked — Spectacular views
  • Disliked — Distance from town
  • Stayed March 2007
6 Thank scholarzee
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2007

Just came back from a four night stay, March 1 - 4. We had a seminar to attend there.

The negatives are:

1.) Housekeeping ignores the do not disturb card on the front door knob. They knock and then enter. My husband was laying down on the bed to take a nap when he heard a knock and then the door opening. He had to tell them to come back later. I guess the help either does not read English or they don't care and just want to finish their job and go home. Maybe people forget to take the do not disturb card off the doorknob when they leave the room, but it should always be respected and adhered to. At other hotels, housekeeping usually calls the room if it is getting late and the room has not been cleaned. Here they just barge in. You could be in the shower or whatever and not hear the knock at the door. I think this is a case of invasion of privacy. They also came into our room the first night while we were out to give us a Loews First basket of apples, nuts & waters. We had the do not disturb out there. I had told them to deliver it the next morning. (Join the Loews First club, it's free, you get some nice perks.)

2.) The reservation was in my husband's name so they wouldn't let me register upon arrival; they had to speak to him. So we got him on my cell. I always put the reservations in his name and I had never incurred this problem before. He had dropped me off to return the rental car a few miles away. We had to return it asap or pay an additional $50. Dory, the front desk person, said it was for security reasons. She was not exactly friendly either. We needed to rent the car just to drive from Beverly Hills to Coronado. Hertz had a drop off location near by.

3.) When we got the bill faxed to me back in Florida, I noticed that we were charged for self parking, $17 each day, but we did not have a car. I called Dory and the bill was corrected. They should have confirmed with me if we were going to keep a car on the property. I had told Dory (above in #1) that my husband was not with me at that moment because he had to return the car to Hertz and he was getting a ride back here.

4.) When we went to the Market Place Cafe for breakfast and there was no wait, they still asked us our name before seating us. The food was not good there or upstairs in the ballrooms for lunch or dinner.

5.) We had a standard king room. The room was very small and railroad style (long and narrow). The bed was not comfortable. The room was worn out, it needs updating. Also, they put six decorative pillows on the bed (and some are very large). It looked pretty, but there was no place to put them when we got into bed except on the one of two chairs. When we wanted to sit in the chairs I had to transfer them back onto the bed.

The pluses are:

1.) The hair salon. Izzy did a great job on my hair just to wash and dry and style it. It was very expensive, but worth it. I received so many compliments on my hair during the week. When I went to get my hair done again at home, it came out terrible compared to Izzy's job. I fired my hairdresser and now I can't find anyone like Izzy.

2.) The grounds are very nice and I enjoyed walking there.

3.) There is a Starbucks just off the lobby.

4.) There is a ping pong table outside. We enjoyed playing, but husband didn't want to play with me again, because I beat him. and was much better than him.

5.) They have some nice stores to browse in.

6.) The property is too far from other areas.

We would not return unless we had a seminar here again.

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank Kabear
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2007

A wedding on a Coronado navy base with my girlfirend sounded like a nice Valentine's weekend, right? Not right. How did I end up at the Lowes hotel? Well, the answer is that I was stupid enough to think that I could find a place about as nice as the Del Coronado but a little easier on my wallet (I'm sure a lot of you are thinking the same thing). I had also thought I could drive around Coronado and find something that LOOKED nice without checking tripadvisor or anything else. God was that stupid and this is why:

The Lowes is TRICKY. It looks nice from afar. The hotel is sort of on a nice little islet. It is layed out nicely and there is a cute little harbor with boats next to it. The website is good. The lobby is really pretty cool. It is basically the only part of the hotel that has had work done on it in the last 25 years. The lobby is big part of the reason people hand over their credit cards. THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT THE LOWES IS NOW OVER!

They gave us a "walk in" rate of $250 at the front desk (only about $40 less than the Del Coronado). We walk into the room and like the hotel itself, it looks Ok from a distance. I pull out the TV and lay on the bed and realize that the mattress hasn't been turned in 25 years. My back is almost on the floor. I struggle to the middle of the bed and hang on for dear life, but end up falling into the indentation on the other side. In the bed, there is a dead, dry, rose petal, most likely from Valentine's Day two days before. The bedspread is filthy and has white stuff caked on it (not kidding you at all). Before I can call the desk and ask for a new room, I have to go to the bathroom. You wouldn't believe it--$250 and the bathtub is grimy. There are at least 5 curly hairs in it (not long enough for head hairs, but short enough for, well, you know) , and the tub is still wet. The shower is even worse. Not only was it caked in grime like the tub, but I could see immediatly the dirt and hair coming out of the drain. I turned the water on and as I thought, the shower was barely draining.

So, I called and told them that the room was disgusting and asked to change rooms. They sort of acted like they were expecting my call about 4 minutes earlier. They sent someone up with a key for a room down the hall. It wasn't so disgusting. It was like something you'd walk into a Motel 6 and see and say, "This isn't so bad." But this is where it really get's good. Later that night, I used the toilet for the first time. I only went #1, I promise, but the toilet started overflowing. Water poured out everywhere and wouldn't stop. My girlfriend was about to stab me with the frozen snickers from the mini bar that was way too cold (this was sort of our Valentine's day trip) so I took off my socks and tiptoed through my pee so I could try to dismantle the valve. The water would only stop if I held a lever inside the back of the toilet so I stood there for about 10 minutes while we waited for maintence. The guy who showed up was just great. It was obvious that he kept the hotel, or whatever is left of it together on his own. He fixed the toilet, mopped up the bathroom (just used the towels to dry the floor, no real mopping (girlfriend thought that was disgusing but I was OK with it since it was my pee), and then restocked the towels all by himself.

The next morning I call the front desk and ask for the manager. Someone takes down my name and room number and says the manager is in a meeting and he will call me back. 1 hour later and nobody calls, so I call back and say I'll hold until they can find him. It gave me the feeling that they are used to complaints to the manager and found that if they don't call back, a lot of people will give up complaining. Anyway, when he finally gets on the phone I tell him about everything from switching rooms to standing in my own pee. He says that he will give me half off of the first night (we are staying for two nights) and sort of laughs when he says it like I'm ripping HIM off! I wanted to ask him to take a shower in that first room we stayed in but was worried he would get the wrong idea--me being from San Francisco and all.

I could go on, but you get the picture. Actually, this place is so awful that I will go on. I was stupid enough to get a massage. Like the rest of the hotel, the spa looked great from the outside. They gym sort of sucked (TV's couldn't really be seen from machines), but it was OK. The locker room was newly remodeled or newly built and was just great. It was clean and had nice amenities. Because of this, again becuase things looked so nice on the outside, I got tricked into paying $200 for a 80 minute massage. That's as pricy as a massage gets, and it would have been Ok except the therapist (only one there), gave a massage like my little 13 year old sister might give me. It was like she'd never been to school, didn't know anatomy, and was just moving her hands in the same motion the whole time. She also forgot my calves--$200/80 minutes!! Finally, my girlfirend scheduled a hair appointment since she was in the wedding and whoever scheduled it made it for the wrong time and she couldnt' get it done.

When I was checking out, I told the lady at the front desk how awful the stay was when she asked. She was very helpful even though I remember she was the one who gave me the first room upon check in. I'm glad she asked how the stay was or I would have let it go. After telling her all the woes of my stay, the discussion ended with her going to the back room and talking to the manager. When she came back she told us that we would get the first night free. So, all in all I ended up paying about $500 for two nights and one massage...STILL FELT SCREWED OVER!!

Next time, if someone puts a gun to my head and makes me go over that bridge from San Diego to Coronado, I will pay whatever it costs and stay at the Del Coronado.

• Liked — The ping pong table, good in-room movie choices, nice spa locker room.
  • Disliked — Hotel is just so old. Things like shower/tub are grimy. Mattress is indented and uncomfortable. Bay view is a little muddy water 80 yards away.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
7 Thank cwagner007
San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2007

I purchased a 2 for 1 deal to stay at the Leows Coronado. It was nice and relaxing but experienced a few problems. I had heard what a great brunch the Loews had, so I called two weeks in advance. When we arrived, they informed me that they did not do brunch anymore, only a buffet. When we arrived for the buffet, my reservation did not exist either, they did however, seat us anyway. At dinner in the Marketplace, our server did not know how to pour a beer. In fact, 1/2 the beer foamed out onto the table...a replacement was not offered. We were in Bldg 1 above the hot tub. At 1:00 a.m. I had to call security to remove loud guests that woke us up. Again the next morning, guests were in the hot tub at 6:30 a.m. Although pool hours are posted, they are not strongly enforced. The food in the Marketplace (breakfast and dinner) is good, service was so-so, and I think, over very priced. Average meal with tip $75.00 The spa has a steam room/sauna that you can use at no charge, this is not advertised. The service at the cantina was short staffed...so much so that we received our meal for free (they could not find it in the computer). Overall, the weekend nice and relaxing, but I am glad we did not pay full price for both nights. The hotel grounds really do have a resort feel to them. I would definitely go back if I can find another 2 for 1 deal.

• Liked — Resort like feel
  • Disliked — This hotel could use better service.
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Hotel del Coronado
#8 of 16 in Coronado
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,956 reviews

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!