“Horrible Customer Service”

Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Camarillo, California
“Horrible Customer Service”
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Customer service is number 1. Dumpy motel but I chose it for the location. There was a problem with my reservation, so they were going to switch me to a smoking room. The room wasn't ready so I pack my stuff and put it in the car. I left to go to my son's water polo game and when I returned the attendant had changed and the new attendant was unaware of my situation. The room I was promised was gone and was going to have to pay 50 dollars additional for a room. I could believe that there wasn't any information about the change in rooms. The new attendant did not care at all about my situation and only cared about the 50 dollars. No more Best Westerns for me. They are always risky.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank U2MELLO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I stayed here on a trip by myself to relax. Around my room it was super noisy. My window faced a busy street. I was on the first floor & it probably would have been better to be on the second. The hotel was very nice & clean so I want to give it a good review. Plus it was close to a nice scenic area and there was a good restaurant within walking distance. The Price was the best out of all the hotels I checked in around Coronado. Down side I couldn't get a hold of the manager when I needed to when an issue arose.

• Stayed July 2011
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 31 March 2011

I have stayed at this facility before, both times as a resident of Coronado, once when our house was being tented and the second as we were moving out of our home there. This time our stay was for a fun reason, returning back for a wedding. I had reserved a suite with 2 queen beds and a sofa bed in the front room of the suite, which was working out OK for myself and my three adult children. They allowed my oldest son to check in for us, since he came into town much earlier than I did, and then I switched the account over onto my credit card in the morning without a problem. We did have to change rooms, however, in the morning. Just before 9am we received a call from the maintenance person, telling us that there was apparently a water leak from our bathroom into the room below, and in order to fix it they would have to move us, which ended up working out very well. The moved us into a larger suite, with 2 queens and a king bed in the front room, which with 4 adults getting ready for a wedding, worked out much nicer for us, and at no additional charge.

The free breakfast was typical, yogurt, cereals, fresh fruit, juices, with some scrambled eggs, sausage, and potatoes for a hot choice. The pool and spa area were fine.

The staff were in general very good. The maintenance man was very nice, when we had to talk with him. The young man at the front desk during the day on weekdays was very nice, and helpful, but the young woman who was there during the day on the weekend, although nice, was not particularly helpful, doing just the basics of her job, and unable to answer any questions, or help with the lobbby computer that I thought was not working (but someone had turned completely off)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank neonp
Reviewed 8 March 2011

perhaps my expectations were too high from a best western, but when paying $157 a night, I expect to at least be able to get a good night sleep and be able to use the promised free internet. Neither of these were met. I arrived in the evening and was greeted by a young desk attendant who seemed utterly disinterested in me, simply handing me over the key. It didn't occur to him to ask me about the purpose of my stay and if I need anything, or to provide a map or the access code to use the internet. My room was on the ground floor, and seemed okay at first. When I turned on my computer, I discovered that the wireless signal was weak. When I stepped outside back to the lobby to obtain the access code to use the internet, I found the "24 hours staffed desk" completely deserted (this was usually the case), and after 10 minutes of attempted calls from my room, finally reached a human being who was kind enough to provide the access code. The internet was totally unreliable, slow and disconnected often. There was no ethernet connection in the room, either. Giving up on the internet, I went to sleep. While the bed was comfortable and provided good back support, the pillows were terrible. Climate is controlled by an old fashioned AC/heating unit that's mounted onto the wall and where you either turn on the heat or the AC, rather than having a thermostat. What this means is that about an hour or so after you turn on the heat, it gets to about 90 degrees in the room, so you have to get up and turn it off. Then after a few hours, it gets cold again, and guess what? Time to get up and turn it on again. So much for a good night sleep... But, as I discovered in the morning, my troubles were not over. The staff starts moving things around at around 6 or 7 a.m. so loudly that you can't sleep. The free breakfast is very basic--disgusting coffee, some yogurts and fruits, and some pastry. The breakfast area is also very small and crammed. After a day or so at that hotel, I finally was able to find a hotel staff at the front desk, after I complained about the fact that the internet is not working, I was put in a suite on the third floor with no extra charge. The wireless internet was not working there either, but at least there was ethernet connection, and the second set of doors separating the bedroom from the living room area kept the noise of the hotel staff out and I was finally able to get a good night sleep. My final complaint is about the smell in the rooms: there is a very strong, disgusting synthetic odor inside the hotel rooms (deodorant of some kind?) that gave me constant headaches when I was inside. Also, if you let yourself sleep in (this is after all a vacation spot!), you can forget about breakfast or housekeeping. As I mentioned earlier, housekeeping staff like to work very early at that hotel (and very loudly while they're at it). Overall, I would not recommend this hotel, as you need to reserve a suite to be able to use the internet or get some sleep, and I am sure you can find a better hotel for that price.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank upintheair86
Owatonna, MN
Reviewed 15 November 2010

It was a amazing drive from the airport to Coronado and a easy drive into the city and back to the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to all. Easy access to the city and the Gas lamp district.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Indio, California
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Great place--and love the location!

• Stayed October 2010
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Nicest free breakfast I've had in similar establishment. My room was clean, but dated. Bed was comfortable. My room (not a suite) overlooked 3rd Avenue which is VERY NOISY at almost all hours. I sleep with earplugs, so it was ok, but this could definitely be an issue.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Avenida Inn
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 16 in Coronado
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Hotel Coronado Island? Share your experiences!