“Great Lobster Spaghetti”
Review of Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 102 Restaurants in Coronado
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Orange Ave.
Transit: Metrolink
Description: Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007.
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Wife and I ate here while staying on the island. While waiting on the table I saw someone in the bar get the lobster sphaghetti and I decided to get it. It was great! Wife had the mixed seafood grill and it was good. Overall, a very good restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Il Fornaio

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is a lovely restaurant in Coronado on the Bay across from the city of San Diego. Each time we visit Coronado we come for dinner with my sister and husband, Coronado residents.
We are always greeted by the friendly staff and usually see the Chef greeting guests as well.
There is always a drink special and we've had some very yummy drinks. The recipes are in the drink menu. There is a Maker's Mark Cocktail that was delicious on one visit, A Sardinia Cocktail our last trip, and a yummy Sea Breeze Cocktail - vodka, Fresca, and a bit of cranberry juice. Very refreshing.
There was a special menuwhich we all had and split. You could pick any three - appetizer, salad, main course or appetizer.I had Branzino as my entre and it was delicious. Covered in a thick tomato sauce with herbs and green olives. Great salads and pasta were also on the menu. There was plenty of food to share.
Even if you think you're too full for dessert, you must try the salted caramel gelato - that we didn't share!
We're looking forward to going back in November when we'll be visiting again.
Indoor and outdoor seating - nice bar and clean restrooms.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

A great Italian food experience on Coronado. Go for the food, go for the service, especially John, who served up a wonderful time for our dinner. We shared their three course evening dinner, plus wine, of course. If in doubt, John's expertise helps in the course selection. Make sure you see the desert display, it will certainly wow your palate. Good value. Great time.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I met a local for dinner here. It was my 1st time there, always hearing of the good food and service but never feeling up for the drive (I stay at the opposite end of the island and rarely drive once here) or the expen$e.

I had the heirloom tomato salad and the lasagna - both outstanding. My dinner partner had the carpaccio and a small pasta entree - great note here is that you can order a smaller plate size of the entrees.

Slight pacing problem occurred as we were talking a lot and not eating at a normal pace and they brought the entrees before we were ready for them.

Overall an excellent experience and we had an excellent bay view (through a dirty / spotted window though).

Would I return? Yes!

Reviewed 14 August 2014

...along with your appetite! The view from the patio is one of the most spectacular in San Diego, but can be a little chilly outside, even on an August early evening. The menu has something for EVERYONE and the food is wonderfully fresh, as well as well prepared. The service is attentive and knowledgeable. Just an amazing evening with old friends. My only regret is that we did not ask a few more to join us for such a wonderful evening. There is a reason Il Fornaio has graced San Diego all of these many years.

Been to Il Fornaio? Share your experiences!