“A nice surprise”

Americas Best Value Inn-Corte Madera/San Francisco
Ranked #1 of 1 Corte Madera B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I am a native of San Francisco and a Marin resident for over 40 years. I recently had a fire at my home and have for the past 4 weeks had to stay at a hotel while my house is restored. As my insurance would only cover a small amount each week my agent suggested this hotel. I was not happy with this pick as I have never stayed in such a place like this and would have picked someplace 3 or four times this cost however i said I would try it for one week.
What I found was best said by the old saying; "never judge a book (or hotel) by its cover".
The room was clean, with a desk, flat screen TV with more channels then I have at home. The bath room looks new and nice. The bed is comfortable and free of any issues. Although I would have never put any friend visiting me from out of town in this hotel before this I will now suggest it to all family and friends as one of the best deals in all Marin. Yes it is not a Ritz however I have stayed at many, many 4 star hotels all over the world that far over promise and under deliver on their service and quality. The staff here is a family and that is exactly how you feel, if this small place was in Italy you would call it colorful. The maid service is so kind at least to this old guy. There is some freeway noise because it is next to the freeway but that is also a plus if what you want is to get around marin and or the city. Shopping and restaurant are all within walking distance. I have NEVER felt the need to write on one of these type of sites before but thought it was such a great surprise that it might help someone not from here looking for a clean, safe value. Oh and you can get free coffee and tea in the morning... That a Nice Surpise

Room Tip: I think most room are the same
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SurFun5389

Reviewed 25 March 2013

The worst hotel ever! Don't stay here. I felt like bed bugs were bitting me. Woke up with bite marks on my leg. Had people yelling right outside our hotel. Could not sleep at all with all that noise. The room was dirty and the pillows were stained....If you don't mind on sleeping on stained pillows then stay here. As soon as we walked in the room smelled horrible. The door looked like it had been broken into the door had a big gap even when closed. No ice machines. NO breakfast. Manager was cursing in the back when we first arrived to get our room too. :/

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary_star2
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We arrived in the SF area late at night and didn't have a hotel reservation so we just picked one of the motels visible from the 101, accepting that would probably not spend the night in the lap of luxury. We did hope for some basic cleanliness though- and were disappointed.

Our non-smoking room had a strong musty smell with more than a trace of cigarette smoke. It was very small and with our bags on the ground, we could barely move. One of the queen size beds blocked 3/4 of the door to the bathroom. At least the shower cabin was clean and the water pressure good- that's the only good thing I can think of to say about this hotel.

Given the stench of the room, I didn't trust the sheets to be really clean, so I slept in my clothes on top of the sheets.

The noise was awful, though to be fair, it's kind of what you have to expect when a hotel is located right next to a busy freeway. On top of the freeway noise, I was woken up once by loud backup beeping, and very early in the morning, someone operated a leaf blower.

We paid almost $80 for one night in this dump and will certainly remember the name "America's Best Value Inn".

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2011

If you are ever traveling through the San Francisco area and need a place to stay, whatever you do, DO NOT stay a America's Best Value Inn Corte Madera. This 2- property is literally 100 yards away from Hwy 101. The only way to sleep here is if you are drunk and passed out. In addition the T.V. did not work, they said it was a problem with Dish Network, but I think it was more of a problem of them paying their bill. They did not mention this until we arrived and offered no discount and charged $100.00 for room that was worth at best $50.00. On top of all of this the room was above the on-site living quarters of the owner/manager and all I could smell was curry and stench of bad food! I would have stayed elsewhere but it was late and there were no other rooms available in the area. The very fact that this place is called "Americas Best Value" is an oxy-moron on America!

Room Tip: Simply do not stay here! Sleep in your car if you have to!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Eurotripper_8
ABVImillvalley, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Corte Madera/San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your comments. We apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay at our Inn. We hope you will come back and give us another opportunity to be of service to you.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

The unmistakable greeting of the stench of mold, mildew and cigarette smoke was bad enough...unfortunately, stepping in the door and looking around led to a further steep decline in appreciation. In addition to the mold/mildew in the carpet, the shower curtain was smattered with black mold and smelled like my Nikes from high school that I wore all summer long with no socks. Although it was supposedly a non-smoking room, the smoke smell developed from the outside door that did not seal. The neighbor's cigarette smoke wafted in freely as if the door wasn't even there. Worse yet, was the urine smell in the blankets as I crawled into bed.

No wash cloth, no hair dryer, no alarm clock, heater did not work. The furniture looked pretty new, the bathroom floor and countertop looked pretty new, the bed was mostly comfortable.

I hope I never have to stay here again!!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank quest1966

Thank you for your comments we appreciate your taking the time to give them to us. We are sorry that you did not find our Inn up to your expectations and apologize for your inconveniences.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We have stayed at other America's Best Value hotels and have always been satisfied. This hotel unfortunately doesn't have a clue what travellers are looking for. The room was noisy (traffic from 101) but relatively clean. There was no ice, no continental breakfast, a coffee machine in the lobby that didn't work, no hairdryer in the room, a television in the room that didn't work. The manager did fix the television, but I would recommend staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nenelinda

We apologize for the conditions that you experienced while staying at our Inn. We appreciate your comments and use them for providing additional training to our employees and evaluating the need for future renovations.

Reviewed 2 September 2011

We staied one night and paid U$ 170.-, the right price should have been not more than U$ 50.- Please don't go there, the room is stinky, the shower maybe was worst. Room extremely noisy, and every furniture, wall, brick, stair, paint, etc. is very old and in a very bad shape. I would reccomend this place only to my enemies!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dino L

Thank you for your comments. In 2009 we replaced all furniture, flat screen TV's, microwaves and refrigerators in every room. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced while staying at our Inn.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Corte Madera
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
#1 of 5 in Mill Valley
Extended Stay America - San Rafael - Francisco Blvd East

Been to Americas Best Value Inn-Corte Madera/San Francisco? Share your experiences!