1,580 results
All reviews suites building john wayne airport junior suite main building newport beach breakfast buffet close to the airport wet bar orange county jacuzzi tub fashion island uc irvine potatoes free parking shuttle service beautiful hotel bed was very comfortable
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We stayed 5 nights in a junior suite at the end of August. Rooms are spacious well furnished and really clean. Beds were super comfy and the staff are really helpful. Good location, a short drive to the beach, shopping mall and well placed to the freeways.

The breakfast was okay - not many healthy options and finished quickly but coffee was good. We also liked that you could pick up coffee and pastries if you were up before the buffet breakfast started. A great great stay and if we were back to the area this would be our top choice!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Costa Mesa - Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Dear FreedaMagic -

It was an honor to welcome you recently for five days. Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for your visit and for taking the time to share your experience. It sounds as if the location and complimentary full breakfast made quite the impression, so we are very pleased you found such value in these. We are thrilled to be your top choice in the area and hope to welcome you back very soon.

Susan O'Brien-Moore

Reviewed 30 September 2012

My first stay at an Ayres hotel and will not be my last! The decor is traditional with antiques everywhere (or furniture that looks like antiques anyway) and yet it's comfortable and inviting. Nothing modern about the furnishings and that's the charm. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful---unusual in this day and age sadly. I had dinner at the hotel restaurant and it was delicious! Just as good if not better than most 3 star restaurants. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my three day business here. Like staying at grandma's house. :-)

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I've been coming to this particular Ayres for years---I've been here numerous times. The location, for me, is wonderful, as my visits center around Costa Mesa and Newport Beach, with a bit of visiting in Laguna Beach.
I completely am AGAINST a fee for parking---I find it atrocious to pay for parking that is a mile away and oftentimes full because of weddings and other events held at the hotel. I know that the Ayres is adding parking 'in' to their prices because I can book less expensive hotels that are quite nice for less.

However, I do enjoy the ambiance of the hotel, especially this one. I love the courtyard and the fact that each table has a little bit of potted herb on each. I love the fireplace going in the evening in the lobby in one of the buildings. I love the fact that there is a laundry facility should one have the need for it for longer stays, and I love the breakfast each morning. Complete with eggs, bacon, french toast or pancakes, potatoes, fruit, yogurt, cereals, and coffee and tea and pastries, it is quite complete. Rooms are above average and in reasonable condition, but could use a bit of updating.
Staff, overall, is very friendly, and free internet is a bonus as well. The gift shop at this location (and the only location that has one) is wonderful. I have bought MANY items here---very unusual things and wonderful gifts!!! So fun to visit---and gal who mans the shop is delightful and very helpful. I've bought things and have had them shipped home and everything arrived beautifully.

Here's where I see they could use some improvement:

1. Breakfast: if you stay there for more than a couple of days, the breakfast is pretty much the same EVERY SINGLE DAY. It gets boring. The salsa is yummy, fresh, wonderful, but how about some other egg dish or an option for all whites for people trying to cut down on fats and cholesterol. There are NO gluten-free bread or pastry options and this needs to be changed. Fruit is ALWAYS the same. Never berries, grapefruit, or some other options. Need to add cranberry juice; just orange is not enough variety for a lengthy stay especially. Also, time of breakfast ends rather quickly during the week. I'm just saying...

2. Rooms: need a bit of updating; some baths need some new caulking; LOVE the refrigerator in some rooms-so helpful!!!!!! Coffee/tea were NOT replaced each day; had to ask for new paper cups for coffee. Noise level on 3rd floor is pretty overwhelming with planes taking off from John Wayne. Maybe something can be done to help with noise level, but not sure. Don't notice as much on other levels. TV---PLEASE Add more cable channels---very little choice, it seemed---no cooking channels, which I so look forward to on trips away. I think you used to have these options; I miss them.

3. Prices--I wish you'd have some better deals for those who return regularly to your hotel---you used to have a deal in association to the restaurant for dinner; that was awesome--wish you'd have that again.

All in all, a lovely stay---there are some better deals out there in the OC--especially through Hotwire, but there is something to be said about things that remain the same---

Room Tip: just know that MANY business travelers and flight crew go here---so lobby noise late and a lot of fly over noise VERY early if you are a light sleeper. There are LOTS of lectures, business events here---just know that.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 4 days at the beginning of September. The rooms are very spatious and clean, the beds are good and the service is excellent. They have breakfast included with the price for the room and it is very good. A lot of food was served: scamble eggs, potatos, bacon, pastries, fruits, etc. We ate in the morning at the hotel and than hit the beaches and needed food only late in the afternoon. We were four people in the room (I my wife and our two children 18 & 20) and having not to pay for breakfast was a big relief. The inconvenient thing was that the hotel is close to the airport and when you are out at the open swimming pool the departing airplanes can be a little anoying but if you are at the court swimming pool you will not have this problem. Also you do not hear the noise from the room. Another plus is that the parking is free. TIP: The close by John Whine airport has international flights which are much cheaper than the ones going to LAX.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I have been impressed with the attention of the adminstrative staff, the quality of the suite that I have stayed, the fitness center and the breakfast. For the price we pay you just can not get a better value in this part of the country

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger and cozy
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business