“Great for wedding guests”

Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 October 2012

My husband and I found the Ayres Hotel in Costa Mesa, CA(Newport Beach) to be a great place to stay for the wedding we were attending. The European inspired boutique hotel is managed and maintained in the Ayres family tradition. We found it to be friendly, first rate service with an inviting atmosphere and wonderful value for guests. The b & b aspect of the hotel was an added bonus to the stay. We have friends who stay at the hotel regularly and they have always commented on how much they like the location and appeal of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stayed here with two family members in June 2012. Wanted something close to the OC fair so that we didn't have to use car.

PROS:

Centrally located to fairgrounds, malls, and beaches. Just hop on the freeway and you're there in about 15 minutes. Charming decor. We had a Jr suite which was fairly spacious with wet bar, microwave and fridge. Check in was pretty quick, staff was pleasant. Woke up too late for breakfast so can't comment. Shuttle was convenient....it dropped us off/picked us up from the fair.

CONS:
Wish there were more places to eat near the hotel. Only restaurants in walking distance are McDonalds, Subway, Flame Broiler and one other I can't remember. Hotel is not in a pedestrian area so you will need a car to go places (can also use their shuttle). Walls somewhat thin....person above us was SO noisy...we hear them walking very easily.

Overall a good value and would probably stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2012

The staff at the Ayres was very kind and helpful. The chef at the breakfasts was very fast and such a great cook. It was nice to have a complete breakfast instead of the normal "Continental breakfast" that you get at most hotels. The hotel gives you a feeling of "warmth" with it's comfortable decor. Nice artwork throughout the whole hotel. Our room was superb! My only complaint would be that being so close to the airport the planes were pretty loud. Fortunately they stop flyingat a certain time of the night.
The restaurant had a fabulous Monte Cristo sandwich! The best we've ever had!

Room Tip: The Junior Suite is spacious and lovely!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I loved my stay at Ayres Hotel, enjoyed the food at their Bistro so much I talked the nice folks at Trip Advisor into letting me review it on it's own instead of just part of the Hotel. Normally parsimonious when a place claims to be 4 1/2 stars they best be able to deliver.

Great lobby decor with Ocean Battle scene paintings.. Art Gallery large ... it would not fit on your wall at home paintings... elegant opulence is what it cries out ...

Room was great with a desk and sofa as well as a table for two and really comfortable mattress. There was an issue with the internet which took over an hour and a second call but then they fixed it... it was floor wide from what I gathered and I was not the only call for help.

The restaurant in the hotel has it's own review (as I mentioned already) so what kept me with all the comfort, and service being good? The trick to how to get hot water out of the shower.. when I could get scalding hot out of the sinks (of which there were two).

I talked to other guests, who had been there a week as they were leaving. They did not tell me how long it took them to determine there was what the male part of this couple called "a sweet spot" where warm water was allowed out of the shower head. This spot inexplicably resided on the cold water side of the markings, but just barely into it .. you really just need to understand that the hotel has investing in plumbing fixtures that are not easy to use, that much water is wasted while guest after guest keeps trying to figure out how to get hot water in the shower. I dunno, I think I would replace them with more easily understood marked faucets rather than waste water and irritate tired guests who just want a bath and to go to sleep.

Now, the only other thing that is not anything they can do anything about.. is that you can only make a right turn out of their parking lot, and pretty much everything I needed to get to needed a left turn or an exit onto a cross street that does not exist so I did not have to go down the road to get going the right direction. It really was not bad once I figured out the best way to go.

Overall I would still stay there again, especially since I love the Bistro and know where the sweet spot is on the shower dial.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We stayed 5 nights in a junior suite at the end of August. Rooms are spacious well furnished and really clean. Beds were super comfy and the staff are really helpful. Good location, a short drive to the beach, shopping mall and well placed to the freeways.

The breakfast was okay - not many healthy options and finished quickly but coffee was good. We also liked that you could pick up coffee and pastries if you were up before the buffet breakfast started. A great great stay and if we were back to the area this would be our top choice!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Dear FreedaMagic -

It was an honor to welcome you recently for five days. Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for your visit and for taking the time to share your experience. It sounds as if the location and complimentary full breakfast made quite the impression, so we are very pleased you found such value in these. We are thrilled to be your top choice in the area and hope to welcome you back very soon.

Susan O'Brien-Moore

Reviewed 30 September 2012

My first stay at an Ayres hotel and will not be my last! The decor is traditional with antiques everywhere (or furniture that looks like antiques anyway) and yet it's comfortable and inviting. Nothing modern about the furnishings and that's the charm. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful---unusual in this day and age sadly. I had dinner at the hotel restaurant and it was delicious! Just as good if not better than most 3 star restaurants. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my three day business here. Like staying at grandma's house. :-)

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I've been coming to this particular Ayres for years---I've been here numerous times. The location, for me, is wonderful, as my visits center around Costa Mesa and Newport Beach, with a bit of visiting in Laguna Beach.
I completely am AGAINST a fee for parking---I find it atrocious to pay for parking that is a mile away and oftentimes full because of weddings and other events held at the hotel. I know that the Ayres is adding parking 'in' to their prices because I can book less expensive hotels that are quite nice for less.

However, I do enjoy the ambiance of the hotel, especially this one. I love the courtyard and the fact that each table has a little bit of potted herb on each. I love the fireplace going in the evening in the lobby in one of the buildings. I love the fact that there is a laundry facility should one have the need for it for longer stays, and I love the breakfast each morning. Complete with eggs, bacon, french toast or pancakes, potatoes, fruit, yogurt, cereals, and coffee and tea and pastries, it is quite complete. Rooms are above average and in reasonable condition, but could use a bit of updating.
Staff, overall, is very friendly, and free internet is a bonus as well. The gift shop at this location (and the only location that has one) is wonderful. I have bought MANY items here---very unusual things and wonderful gifts!!! So fun to visit---and gal who mans the shop is delightful and very helpful. I've bought things and have had them shipped home and everything arrived beautifully.

Here's where I see they could use some improvement:

1. Breakfast: if you stay there for more than a couple of days, the breakfast is pretty much the same EVERY SINGLE DAY. It gets boring. The salsa is yummy, fresh, wonderful, but how about some other egg dish or an option for all whites for people trying to cut down on fats and cholesterol. There are NO gluten-free bread or pastry options and this needs to be changed. Fruit is ALWAYS the same. Never berries, grapefruit, or some other options. Need to add cranberry juice; just orange is not enough variety for a lengthy stay especially. Also, time of breakfast ends rather quickly during the week. I'm just saying...

2. Rooms: need a bit of updating; some baths need some new caulking; LOVE the refrigerator in some rooms-so helpful!!!!!! Coffee/tea were NOT replaced each day; had to ask for new paper cups for coffee. Noise level on 3rd floor is pretty overwhelming with planes taking off from John Wayne. Maybe something can be done to help with noise level, but not sure. Don't notice as much on other levels. TV---PLEASE Add more cable channels---very little choice, it seemed---no cooking channels, which I so look forward to on trips away. I think you used to have these options; I miss them.

3. Prices--I wish you'd have some better deals for those who return regularly to your hotel---you used to have a deal in association to the restaurant for dinner; that was awesome--wish you'd have that again.

All in all, a lovely stay---there are some better deals out there in the OC--especially through Hotwire, but there is something to be said about things that remain the same---

Room Tip: just know that MANY business travelers and flight crew go here---so lobby noise late and a lot of fl...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family