Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 January 2009

Some of the negative reviews made me hesitant in booking this hotel. I took a chance and was pleasantly surprised! I was in town for a medical procedure for my young son. It was a virtual oasis for me, a haven from the stress and pressure. At the last minute my mother decided to come along and we needed to have two queens, versus one king. I called the day before and added the request. The agent reserved the room so that it would be ready for our late arrival. All of our requests were honored as well; a view of the pool and a quiet room. Since we booked directly with the hotel we were eligible for the ample breakfast and for the beer/wine in the evening(I believe the complimentary beverage service is offered only Monday through Thursday and we got the vouchers at check-in). The breakfast is a sit down buffet. You serve yourself, but wait staff picks up your table. You should anticipate giving a small tip for this service. The hotel is very conveniently located near the airport, so yes, expect aircraft traffic. I believe that there is a 10 p.m. curfew for the planes. I never really noticed the noise, but we did see aircraft. The hotel decor is very traditional with some nautical and area history thrown in. The small model ships kept my son's interest every time we walked down the hall. We were greeted kindly, cookies were still available, and towels were brought to the hot tub, when we noted to the front desk that they were out. We dined once in the restaurant. The food and service were good. They offered shuttle service, and my mother took it to the mall. We were in the main building, and I believe that there is an adjacent building that are all suites. The double queen room was adequate for our needs, furnished with the two beds, a T.V. amoire, desk, and a small closet. There is a basic bathroom and a bar/sink area with a small refridgerator and a coffee maker. There is no microwave. If you need a place to stay near the John Wayne airport in Newport Beach/Costa Mesa for about $100 mid-week I would recommend the Ayers.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Zinfandelista
Write a ReviewReviews (1,490)

Reviewed 13 January 2009

The website showed a fantastic looking hotel. Thinking it might not be as good as the promotion, we still booked it and were so pleased that we did. The hotel is decorated beautifully, the employees went out of their way to please us and the room was more than sufficient and decorated with taste. The amenities were as promised, including a free full, hot breakfast buffet each morning and a complimentary drink each night. The airplanes from the Orange County Airport do not fly between 10PM and 7AM, so there was no disturbing our rest at night. We feel we got first class accomodations at a bargain price. Would definitely return and highly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank brotzrews
Reviewed 17 December 2008

Ayres Hotel Dec 7, 2008- Dec 13 , 2008. My husband and I stayed at this wonderful hotel for a week. It is spotless, great resturant, super staff that make your visit a joy from check in to departure. A few problems arose that were immediately resolved. Breakfast everyday is included in your daily charge , delicious, great assorment, free parking daily, free internet. No hidden chargers at all. We have stayed all over the world this little gem, is under rated with 3 stars, but don't tell anyone, they might raise their prices or worse change their attitudes, become uncaring as some of the so called 5 star hotel are.

1  Thank charliemuff
Reviewed 14 December 2008

My personal experience was WOW. I had gotten a great rate through Hotwire but I was still pleasantly impressed when I arrived.

This hotel was unique. It had a nice décor and everything had a picture hanging on it. Even the hallways were memorable with pleasant oil paintings hanging all along the walls. These were pleasant paintings with recognisable themes unlike modern “art” that leaves you baffled. The room we got was extremely pleasant. It was spotless clean and very beautifully decorated in an old style. I absolutely loved it. It also had a very deep jacuzzi.

There are actually two buildings in this hotel. We got a free upgrade in the more expensive building. The hotel is close to an airport and yet there did not seem to be any noise at all from planes. Perhaps there is a cut off time and that is why the noise did not bother us. The hotel also offered free internet access on their computers in the business center which was accessible 24hrs. The wife thinks this hotel had the best beds of all the hotels we've ever stayed in. She was really, really impressed with the hotel beds.

They also offered free hot breakfast and this was one of the best free breakfasts I have ever had. Normally the free or complementary breakfast dissapoints me but not this time. I cannot fault this hotel in any way. The staff was great as well particularly Alexen (I am not sure this is the name or a similar name). The rooms were cleaned daily and even if I try hard to find a fault with this hotel I can't. The hotel also has a small pool and another nice touch were the public phones located in the lobby of the second building. It was great to find public phones in such a great hotel. Obviously there are phones in your room but the public phones make calling friends a lot cheaper.

Perhaps the only fault was that when I arrived really late at night there was no one available to help us with the luggage. Nevertheless Alexen showed where we could get a trolley so we could take everything upstairs. Would I stay again at this hotel? Definitely and without a doubt yes.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Appreci8life
Reviewed 2 December 2008

This is a nice hotel, conveniently located not far from the John Wayne airport. We had an okay stay overall, but I will certainly never be staying at an Ayres hotel again.
First, the hotel staff (from top to bottom) are incredibly pretentious. We went down for the breakfast dressed in shorts and t-shirts and were given dirty stares every day. We also were told we could use the microwave to heat up some leftovers, but weren't allowed to and the hotel cook had to do it for us. Once we got the food back, we sat in the restaurant to eat it and were booted out by the maitre' d who said that the seats were for "customers". (In reality, there were NO customers in the restaurant at the time, and considering we were spending over $600 at this hotel, I don't see why we couldn't be considered customers too!!)

The hotel website talks a good game about the amenities, but they just aren't there.
For example:

-The "micro-kitchen" is just a second sink with a mini-fridge. Don't expect to microwave anything in this hotel without a battle, either.

-There was a power outage for several hours while we were there, and after the power came back we weren't able to get on to the internet for the rest of the trip (4 days). No apology or concession was made for this inconvenience.

-Breakfast is the exact same thing every day. This might not bother you if you're there only for a day or two.

-The website says the hotel shuttle will take you 'anywhere within a 5 mile radius'. Also not true. The shuttle has a few select stops. They won't take you anywhere but those stops. The shuttle also is the same one that takes people to the airport, so anytime you want to use this 'service' you have to wait ~30 min. for the driver to get back from the airport. Likewise, if you want to get to the airport, you better hope the driver isn't taking someone to the mall. Ugh.

-The maid service harangued us daily (with multiple voice mails) when we had the do not disturb sign up. Each message reminded us that we had declined room clean up because of our sign... well, duh.

-Since we had the do not disturb sign up for most of the trip, we ran out of toilet paper several times and called the front desk for more. What a hassle. We had to call several times on each instance before anyone would come. For example, one night we had to wait almost 3 hours for someone to finally respond, and then they would only give us one roll at a time... prompting this drama to continue on and on. Another time, we simply left for the day (after getting sick of waiting for the TP) and came back to find (embarrassingly enough) one roll of TP sitting outside of our room door. Gee, thanks.

-Like I mentioned above, EVERY call to the front desk is a hassle. They treat you like you shouldn't be calling and asking for anything, and are snobbily annoyed with every request or question.

All in all, the hotel is nicely decorated, yes, but it isn't the Ritz—so everyone there should stop pretending it is!!! If it's such a fancy hotel, getting service--of any kind--shouldn't be the battle it is with these people. After all, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Urlaubskaetzchen
Reviewed 2 November 2008

A group of us decided to have a girls getaway weekend before the business leg of trip kicked in on Monday. The three of us stayed quite comfortably in one of the Ayres suites. The hotel was beautiful and very inviting. Talk about personality! it was incredible! When we checked in, the front desk staff was a little put offish but I guess it didn't help that we were acting like a bunch of country bumpkins with our jaws hanging out. Plus it was around 2 a.m. and we were rather boisterous. The lobby area is on the same grade as the parking lot and it was very convenient to just pull in under the arcade, unload our bags, and stroll right into the lobby. The complimentary breakfast was very well appointed with way too much food and choices. Parking was free and we had no problems finding an available space. Our check in experience aside, the staff was very courteous and informative. The room was quiet and even though our room faced the street, we didn't hear a peep of street noise. The pull out sofa bed was big as a couch to sleep on so I didn't bother pulling it out. My friends said the king size bed was the most comfortable they've ever slept on. The vanity area was separate from the shower/toilet area which was great. We had a lot of fun staying at the Ayres and would definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Merrywidow808
Reviewed 26 September 2008

I loved this hotel. The shuttle picked me up within ten minutes of calling them from John Wayne Airport. The driver was very courteous and helpful with restaurant suggestions. Shuttle was waiting for me in the morning to take me back to the airport at exactly the time I asked for.

The front desk clerk was friendly and made no mention of my room being booked on a discount website.

I was told the hotel was full but I never heard a single noise from other guests. I did hear airplanes but they were not a problem. I hear them louder at my home.

My room was huge and spotless. Very nicely decorated. The bedding was very comfortable. The bathroom was big and luxurious. Had a hair dryer and night light. Soft towels. The coffee was good too.

There are free computers in the business center with high speed internet and one in the lobby where you can print your boarding passes.

I ate dinner at their restaurant and my Monte Cristo sandwich was excellent. I wasn't as impressed by the breakfast selections but did enjoy eating by the fountain in their courtyard. If I remember correctly there were items I'm allergic to in some of the dishes so that is why I didn't eat much at the free breakfast. Most people would probably think it was great.

I wish this hotel was where I regularly travel. I was only there a night because of delays that caused me to miss my connection home. I slept like a baby and was so happy with this stay after having spent most of the previous week in the lousy Atlanta Airport Hilton.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
#11 of 18 in Newport Beach
Costa Mesa Marriott
Costa Mesa Marriott
#9 of 23 in Costa Mesa

Been to Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach? Share your experiences!