“Perfect place for Sushi”

Ikko Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #143 of 514 Restaurants in Costa Mesa
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 January 2014

During my two weeks stay here in Costa Mesa I have already visited this place three times and the Sushi is always perfect. You get a healthy portion of always very good fish and just the right amount of rice, which means not too much as in other places. The seasoning is perfect and therefore there is no need to add anything else.
If you like Sushi you have to go there.
I don't really think it is expensive since the quality is very good.

1  Thank PureFiction
There are newer reviews for Ikko Japanese Restaurant

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

This was a truly amazing meal. If you want the real deal for authentic Japanese sushi this is it. But it will cost you.

1  Thank Completelyawesome
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I want to start off by saying, "make reservations", but if you don't, fear n the wait for the sushi bar is still worth it. The entire restaurant is tiny. However, their smallness really help project an intimate environment, while their chef to patron ratio made it feel like we had his undivided attention. Furthermore, one of the refreshing things about Ikko is that when we ask the chef for omakase, he asked us how much we wanted to spend. I really liked this because we could enjoy our meal without having to worry about getting carried away and having our bill to balloon on us.

Now, when the chef brought out our first dish, crab meat soup and a potato chip topped wasabi mousse, I knew right away that this would be an interesting and fun night. The chef kept churning out one elegant dish after another. He took every measure to make sure each dish look as amazing as it tasted. After the third dish, it started to feel like I was a judge on the Iron Chef show. Another pleasant highlight of the night was the large cup of cool, smooth saké served in a wooden box.

Every dish was simply amazing. For the most part, every dish was an original new dish I never had before. We went to Ikko expecting just nigiri sushi, but ended up with a lot more. It would be impossible to name my favorite dish of the night, but some of the top plates were the Pork Chashu Arugula Salad, Baby Lobster, Beef Tongue with Foie gras, and seared Toro. I seriously think our chef could be a contender on the Iron Chef. So even though Ikko is a little bit pricier than we were use to, it was definitely worth every penny.

I am definitely looking forward to revisiting them soon.

1  Thank Matthew L
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Restaurant was small and cozy. Went here for an anniversary dinner and it did not disappoint. Had the omokase dinner and we got to watch the chef prepare all of our dishes.

1  Thank dky1717
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This place is traditional in ever sense of the word.... Don't expect rolls on the menu, or soy sauce on your table. They grate fresh wasabi to order, and it will blow you away.
Luckily I went with a friend who is Japanese to show me how it's done. I definitely recommend ordering "omakase" instead of off the menu. This basically means "chef's choice" so you know you'll be getting the freshest fish, and eating what the chef would eat if he were eating there, can't beat that! This can be a bit pricey but totally worth it.

1  Thank chasetravelbug