“Now called Crowne Plaza”

Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Murrieta, California
“Now called Crowne Plaza”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

This hotel is conveniently located and my room was large with a comfy bed. The bathroom was small which would have made it more challenging for two people to spread their toiletries out, luckily I was alone.
If you are a light sleeper know that the 405 freeway runs right near the hotel. There was traffic noise all night long so you may want to ask for a quiet room that doesn't face Bristol and/or bring ear plugs.
The staff was very friendly, the room was clean and the bed was comfy.
I'd stay here again ~

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room or bring ear plugs to block out freeway noise
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Oakland, California
Reviewed 5 October 2012

This has now changed names to the Crowne Plaza, but this has not been updated in Trip Advisor yet. It was comfortable, with new, sleek wood furniture and all white linens. The best part was the free internet in lobby and room, and the free shuttle to anywhere within 5 miles, so I could book a rental car away from the airport, which saved me $100. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful, housekeeping is very responsive, and the room service is friendly and apologetic if they can't get it to you right away and provides updates until they do. I was attending a conference at the Hilton across the street, and it was easy to walk there. My group also walked a few blocks over the freeway to the mall, where there were a number of good restaurants.
I would have liked a free fridge in my room, for milk and other breakfast food, but they charged $10 a night so I didn't get it. Luckily, there was a macdonald's right next door, so I got fresh milk, yogurt, and fruit every morning from them for breakfast. They had a fancy new coffeemaker that also makes tea, but you can't use your own tea and only makes one cup at a time. I missed the old coffee makers where I could make pots of my own tea.
I'm a runner, and on the staff's suggestion, I ran down bristol to MacArthur and back for my 3 mile run. I wouldn't do this everyday, running along the road and over a freeway, but for twice in 4 days, it was good.
Overall, I'd stay here again, mainly because the internet access was so easy and the front desk was so friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room facing bristol St. my friend who was inside had a view of a concrete wall. I l...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Fountain Valley, California
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We were a bit confused due the hotel's name change (I guess they were bought out by Crown Plaza the previous day) but were informed by the staff that we were at the correct hotel. The staff was super friendly. I loved that the wifi internet and parking was free, most of the other hotels in the area charged for both parking and wifi internet which is a bit of a bummer. Our room was huge and the rain-shower was so relaxing. It made me want to get one for my own bathroom at home. I would say our overall experience was positive, the only thing missing was a fridge in the room for snacks and the a/c was very noisy. If you can get past the small minor things this hotel is definitely worth checking out if you're in the area. For the price, it's unbeatable.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

Rooms are uniquely decorated, beds are very comfortable and roomservice was excellent and not over priced. This hotel also offers free shuttle service within 5 mile radius which was very helpful to us. Pool looked nice and clean as well.

• Stayed August 2012
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 10 September 2012

The hotel is located in a very convenient place that is easily accessed from the main highway (405), and it has a big parking lot + garage, the rooms are spacious but the only thing missing was the fridge, you have to pay an extra 10$/day for it and that just didnt make sense. the housekeeping are nice and helpful and most importantly their integrity.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near the exits because the hotel lacks elevators and it has exits (stairwells) all...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Very nice hotel, brand new furniture and very good service. Our room was very clean and tidy, equipped with every amenity. Big and clean bathroom, many towels and spectacular shower.
Small but well equipped gym, nice pool.
Very nice and kind staff, available to assist you at anytime!
The hotel is close to the freeway, John Wayne airport; Newport Beach and the Irvine Spectrum are only 10 minutes away.
Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 September 2012

The staff was friendly and helpful given what we had to put up with.
The walls are paper-thin. The first night I was woken up multiple times to "ungodly" noises from the room next door. I didn't complain, as the hotel was not responsible for the quality of guests and their inappropriately LOUD behavior. And thin walls is something that couldn't be helped at that point.
We also stayed the night of the party last Saturday. We woke up to a crowd of people outside our door trying to enter the room "by drunken mistake." We called down and were told the police and security guards were on it. After half an hour, we realized nothing had changed and called down again. I know more could have been done by the staff and police, but I don't want to discredit what effort they actually made. However, I was hoping the staff would be more sympathetic to the fear I felt when I woke up to a group of men trying to enter my room...
The hotel itself is great (quality of rooms for the price), but it's really up to chance if you get a loud neighbor or a party down the hall. If you don't want to take the chance, don't stay here. The guests really diminished the quality of my trip. When we checked out, our summary didn't show charges we made to the room. Thinking they were showing good service by comping our meal and movie, I decided the hotel was worth staying at again.
But I was wrong! My credit card was charged when I got home. So... that changed my mind.

Room Tip: Maybe a corner room will lessen your chances of getting an inappropriately loud neighbor. Or don'...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple