“R&R and R at the Crown Plaza” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County

Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Carlsbad, California
“R&R and R at the Crown Plaza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

The third R is for romance. We were in the area for a social event and checked in with no problems at around 4 pm. After "settling" into our room we went down to the bar, got a drink (good and strong) and headed to the pool area.

They really try hard here! The room is very nicely decorated, modern with excellent Templespa products. I had fun with the rest, relax, restore package in the room. The bed is wonderful and perfectly firm for me with a soft topper. I have a bad back so this is important. A/c is the in-window variety and we got a little confused because the only button that worked was the on/off switch. We didn't realize there was a thermostat on the wall and there was no sign on the unit (hence, you lost that 5th star). The water was nice but the sink in the bath drained very slow (216). Not a big deal at all. I loved the room and was impressed.
The pool area has obviously been redone and includes cabanas and plenty of chairs and loungers. With the limited space they have, they did a great job here. The vibe is nice and while at first I wanted the water hotter, the temps turned out perfect for hanging out and visiting with other guests. The next morning I snuck out of the room at 7am (when pool area opens) for a soak and when I asked for a pool towel, the housekeeper smiled and was super responsive to my request. I want some of whatever breakfast she eats. Thank you pool lady!
The in-house restaurant, Fireside Grill, was a superb experience. We opted to sit our on the patio that featured these amazing fire-pits. The ambiance was smooth and relaxed. We ordered the Macaroni and Cheese, Tomato salad and Fish and Chips. All those dishes were exceptional especially the mac-n-cheese which had this kind of smokey flavor. I'm no foodie but I think you can be pretty comfortable eating here. It was to die for. The server was quick and authentic in his communication. I wish I could remember his name but for reference he looked like he might fit into the cast of The Vampire Diaries. I really liked him and it made our experience that much better.
Overall, I would strongly recommend this hotel and hope to come back and stay again when up in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

great location and the rooms were even better. Hotel staff was pleasant and nothing buy high fives for everyone there. I would recommend this to all. Close to everything. There are lots of choices in orange county, I am staying here for business

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

The location is great! The rooms very comfotable and clean!! But what will bring me back is the SERVICE!!! The staff are all about the customer from Chris at the front desk making sure my room was just what I wanted and when he discovered I really wanted a tub he made a room change and brought the new key to my room to relocate me. Then Cesar in the dining room for breakfast being so personable and giving me locations of local shops when I mentioned looking for something specific, he actually wrote them down and brought the list to me...Impressive. Then we go to Dinner and our server Leah is knowledgable about the menu and delivered excellent service and to top it off the manager Allene checked on us as well and made sure everything was perfect with our overall experience. We have had several meals both breakfast and dinner and the food is amazing...kudos to the Chefs, I highly recomend the Warm Chocolate Chip Cookies with the Adult Chocolate Milk for dessert (Thanks Allene). I cannont recomend this location enough!

Room Tip: Specify if you prefer the large walk in shower or prefer a tub you can soak in...both great options...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank S R
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The whole place is nicely renovated. They don't have central AC though so that was the only down side. I tend to find the wall ACs a bit too loud for my taste especially when I'm sleeping. That was the only reason I knocked down a star. This place is dog friendly which is a plus. But I found the dog friendly rooms are not as nice as the non-dog friendly rooms. I originally was in a non-dog friendly room but last minute I had to pick up my dog from the dog sitter and bring her to the hotel so they moved me to a dog friendly room and I noticed the difference a bit. But it wasn't a too big of a difference. All in all, I stayed here pretty comfortably

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have stayed at this property numerous times, and it is consistently laid-back, the vibe very smooth and chill, the staff extremely accommodating, and professional. Special requests are always addressed efficiently, staff at the front desk always has a very "can do" attitude, and they ask me each time I pass by the front desk if there is anything that I need, or if they can do anything for me. EVERY person at the front desk was wonderful but, I would like to make mention of Erick, Cesar, Javier, Rob, and Imelda--just outstanding customer service from them all! The hotel is somewhat "dated" but I find it to sort of compliment the overall culture of the hotel. Very soft bleu forms the base for the public areas, and tones thoughout the hotel follow the muted, understated tone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Javier was very helpful as well as Elizabeth and Brenda. The service was excellent and the room was very clean and comfortable. We really enjoyed our weekend stay and are looking forward to staying there again in the future.

Room Tip: King room on higher floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Had stayed here before when it was the Hoilday Inn but since then it has been remodeled and now rebranded into a Crowne Plaza and it shows. Good tidy up and great rooms and very good value for money as well. Very good freeway acess to the 405 freeway and very handy to the South Coast Plaza shopping centre make for a good reason to stay here.

Room Tip: Get a higher level room and maybe one looking into the pool area to giev you a nicer feel for your s...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business