“business stay”

La Quinta Inn Costa Mesa Orange County
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Quiet room for next to freeway. Comfortable bed. Hooters next door, in and out burger close by. Easy on and off freeway. 200 words, really?? for a hotel stay??? I came , I slept, I got up and went to work. Ate at the overpriced Hooters, but it really isn't the food you go there for, In N out burger is better

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank doug h

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed here for a month long business trip, where I would fly home for the weekends. Soooo many problems. I had issues checking in EVERY monday. Even though my office had made the reservations and supplied a card and authorization form. I was twice locked out of my room because they had mistakenly only keyed the room for one night. I had a different room every week. Each one, the carpet was oily, smell was bad, shower cleanliness was bad. It is noisy....on any side the hotel. On the plus side, the beds are comfortable. Also I left my phone charger one weekend and I called to asked them to hold it for me....surprisingly the staff was competent enough to do that. All the staff was friendly the entire visit, but with all the mistakes made I am still displeased with the lack of brain power on the building. I am actually shocked that anyone gave this place a good review. Good luck to all who choose this place....

• Stayed: March 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 March 2014

It's a simple place. For the price, this place was wonderful. I stayed with my sister to go to the nearby music festival called Burgerama. The reviews I read prior made it out to be not-so-great and when I saw the Hooters directly in front I thought it might be a bit sleazy but not at all! After a one night stay I felt like I would stay again. The staff at the front desk were quick to take my calls and accommodate the fact that I got there earlier than expected. That night we came back from the concert around eleven, and hooters turned out to be the perfect place for late-night food. Overall I was very satisfied. I was worried because I missed a lot of the concert when I got there and the room was not ready by noon. But that was my own fault for not considering the check-in time before I reserved. Can't say much about the breakfast because I woke up late but hey it was complimentary! People said the freeway noise might be a problem but the beds were so comfy that I slept like a baby. Honestly it was my first time staying at a hotel without my parents so it was a new experience and I don't have high standards so this place was exactly what I needed. The IKEA nearby made for a good place for breakfast. Overall a great stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The day and evening staff were professional and very helpful. The property needs some work, especially the interiors of the rooms and common areas but my room was nice and clean. The bed in my room was great and I slept well, which is usually a problem for me. I didn't use the pool but it looked well cared for. The location has very easy access to the 405 and is about 10 minutes from the John Wayne airport. There are several good restaurants, including In-N-Out within five minutes. If Hooters is your idea of a good place to eat, it is next door and is the only dining within walking distance. I had no noise issues but offer the following recommendation: to minimize the noise in your room, stay on the side of the building away from the freeway and away from the pool area. I stayed during the week so I don't know what weekends are like. There were some "sketchy" characters staying there but I didn't feel threatened. Just use common sense and you, your family, and your possessions should be fine. Don't expect the Ritz and you should be satisfied.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Arthur C
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My husband and I have stayed here a couple of times. It's not bad, not great, thankfully we only ever stay here for one night when we are in the area. I agree with the other reviewers, there are some seedy people hanging around and the walkways always stink of tobacco smoke. It just feels strange and slightly uncomfortable when you walk around the hotel. The elevator is located in a dark recess, I was always wary that someone shifty would be hanging about.the doors, panhandling or looking for "new friends". Looks like they have lots of tradesmen and "single men" booking their rooms. This of course brings with it "single ladies" hooking up with the single men.

Disappointed to see so many canines at the hotel. Some yappy dogs kept us awake for hours. On our previous stay here in early Feb, our first room had no handle on the shower/tub, so no way to have a shower. However, they did move us next door.

Oh my goodness, the road noise ! ALL NIGHT LONG. Take earplugs, you'll need them. We now request a room on the quieter side of the hotel, but it is still a problem, although not as bad.

Not that we used the pool, but you have to negotiate your way past it to reach the lobby. The pool was full of palm fronds and just looked unkempt and uninviting.

The breakfast ? Unremarkable, the usual inexpensive bagels, waffles and cereal. Boring.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the freeway. I didn't like the look of the lower floor. It's probab...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paula D
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was the third time I stayed at this hotel. I will not be back. This property has been remodeled but has a very seedy clientele. Very surprising since it is very near the airport and is in Costa Mesa. I guess it's close to the freeway and near Santa Ana. All I know is I will not stay there again. I travel the Southern California often so I will find a different place when I'm in Costa Mesa next time. The staff was Great though. I compliment the desk staff!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business