“Probably the worst La Quinta I've stayed in”

La Quinta Inn Costa Mesa Orange County
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Reviewed 6 May 2014

If you just need a quick place to stay for the night, then it is okay. Other than that, the room smelled like mildew, it was dusty, there was a gap under the door which left room for bugs, and there were gnats in the bathroom which seems to be indicative of mold or mildew.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jazmine T

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Car alarm went off 4 times during the night. Bathroom was not clean, not did toilet flush. Reserved a king sized room, but was given 2 double beds because "not enough rooms were cleaned that day." This hotel is attached to a Hooters, so that was certainly the first clue.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristi M
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stay at this hotel when in Orange for a monthly business trip and the rooms are always comfortable and right for my needs. The amenities in the room are very good and better than hotels of this value category.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank mountains33045
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Quiet room for next to freeway. Comfortable bed. Hooters next door, in and out burger close by. Easy on and off freeway. 200 words, really?? for a hotel stay??? I came , I slept, I got up and went to work. Ate at the overpriced Hooters, but it really isn't the food you go there for, In N out burger is better

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank doug h
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed here for a month long business trip, where I would fly home for the weekends. Soooo many problems. I had issues checking in EVERY monday. Even though my office had made the reservations and supplied a card and authorization form. I was twice locked out of my room because they had mistakenly only keyed the room for one night. I had a different room every week. Each one, the carpet was oily, smell was bad, shower cleanliness was bad. It is noisy....on any side the hotel. On the plus side, the beds are comfortable. Also I left my phone charger one weekend and I called to asked them to hold it for me....surprisingly the staff was competent enough to do that. All the staff was friendly the entire visit, but with all the mistakes made I am still displeased with the lack of brain power on the building. I am actually shocked that anyone gave this place a good review. Good luck to all who choose this place....

• Stayed: March 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 March 2014

It's a simple place. For the price, this place was wonderful. I stayed with my sister to go to the nearby music festival called Burgerama. The reviews I read prior made it out to be not-so-great and when I saw the Hooters directly in front I thought it might be a bit sleazy but not at all! After a one night stay I felt like I would stay again. The staff at the front desk were quick to take my calls and accommodate the fact that I got there earlier than expected. That night we came back from the concert around eleven, and hooters turned out to be the perfect place for late-night food. Overall I was very satisfied. I was worried because I missed a lot of the concert when I got there and the room was not ready by noon. But that was my own fault for not considering the check-in time before I reserved. Can't say much about the breakfast because I woke up late but hey it was complimentary! People said the freeway noise might be a problem but the beds were so comfy that I slept like a baby. Honestly it was my first time staying at a hotel without my parents so it was a new experience and I don't have high standards so this place was exactly what I needed. The IKEA nearby made for a good place for breakfast. Overall a great stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The day and evening staff were professional and very helpful. The property needs some work, especially the interiors of the rooms and common areas but my room was nice and clean. The bed in my room was great and I slept well, which is usually a problem for me. I didn't use the pool but it looked well cared for. The location has very easy access to the 405 and is about 10 minutes from the John Wayne airport. There are several good restaurants, including In-N-Out within five minutes. If Hooters is your idea of a good place to eat, it is next door and is the only dining within walking distance. I had no noise issues but offer the following recommendation: to minimize the noise in your room, stay on the side of the building away from the freeway and away from the pool area. I stayed during the week so I don't know what weekends are like. There were some "sketchy" characters staying there but I didn't feel threatened. Just use common sense and you, your family, and your possessions should be fine. Don't expect the Ritz and you should be satisfied.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business