“Westin South Coast is a fine place to stay”

The Westin South Coast Plaza
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersSilver level
nj
“Westin South Coast is a fine place to stay”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Returned for their weekend package which is a great deal. Rooms are spacious and clean, staff was courteous and service was excellent.
Please just tell housekeeping not to knock at 8:30 am on a Saturday as it was my only chance to get some rest.
Convenient location and only negative is valet parking was pricey
Coffee maker with Starbucks in the room was a nice plus

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear Rich W,
Thank you for staying with us and your feedback regarding our Housekeeping team. I will make sure we share this with the staff so they understand how your experience was.
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Everything about this Westin is polished. The reservations process, the Check-in, the Staff, the room, the pool, etc.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear JPTEncino,
Thank you for your comments on how you felt that your entire experience with us met your expectations. Our team is committed to delivering the best experience possible with our valued guests.
Guest Relations Manager.
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Stayed in Jr. Suite for one night 4/26-4/27/12. Great service at check in.
Room was comfortable, great bed and linens. Bathroom could use some updating, especially the tub/shower.
Suite was large and more than enough room for a business meeting I had planned in the am. Room service was great. Free wi-fi in the rooms. Overall a very nice stay.

1 Thank amys549
Dear Amy S,
Glad to hear that you felt the arrival experience for you was memorable. It is important to be able to enjoy yourself when traveling for business and relax. We look forward to your return.
Guest Relations Manager.
Atlanta
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I've been staying in this hotel every week for quite a while due to regular business travel. I like the location of this hotel since it is close to a variety of restaurants and other entertainment options, while also being a relatively fast commute to Irvine for work. The hotel isn't one of the nicest Westin's, nor is it one of the worst.

I did have some booking issues early on with King Size Bedrooms, but worked those out after a quick call with the reservation manager. Seemed pretty simple to me that if I book a King Size bed (usually at a higher rate than two double beds) that I should have a room with a King Size bed available when I check in. I guess like many travel-based businesses they overbook to ensure they sell to capacity. Anyhow, they were great about addressing the issue once I raised it and even upgraded me to a suite on my next visit.

The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly. The valet service is really great (don't forget to tip the guys at night too when you drop your car off -- otherwise they miss out) and the lobby Starbucks staff are always super friendly. The lobby can get busy for check-in on Monday between 6:00 - 7:30pm, so prepare to wait a while even if you are SPG. I wish they really did have a special check-in desk for SPG Gold members and above. Some of the rooms need maintenance, which surprised me for a Westin. Grout / caulking issues in some of the bathrooms and some sink drains are leaky. I'm nit-picking at this point, but I do have higher expectations for this chain. I also agree with a previous review that you do feel like there is a new charge for something around every corner (wifi, water, even their bedding for the love of god).

The best part about this place is the location. Great restaurants from casual to fine dining all within walking distance or a short drive. South Coast Plaza is a short walk away too for some of the best shopping in the US. It definitely helps to have fun places to explore in the evening when you're traveling quite a bit.

I would recommend staying here if you can get a decent rate...prices fluctuate A LOT depending on conferences and other events.

Room Tip: They have 2 rooms available with exercise equipment in them. Ask if they are available if you don...
1 Thank seven21
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear seven21,
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your frequent visits. It helps our team understand the opportunities we have and how we can deliver exceptional experiences for our valued guests. We look forward to your return visit and how we can make your stay more memorable.
Truckee, CA
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This is my "go to" hotel when visiting family in O.C. It's close to the airport, freeways, shopping and restaurants. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The best part is they all treat my little furry companion (pup) like a "king"!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sewfun2cook
Dear sewfun2cook,
We are so glad that we are your "go to" hotel when visiting Orange County. At Westin, we understand how important your furry companions are and that they feel at home. It is great to hear that "pup" was treated like a king.
Valencia
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed in this nice hotel for 4 days and found rooms to be spacious and spotless. Bedding was very comfortable. It is just 10 min from John Wayne International Airport (Santa Ana) and you have endless shopping options since you can use the skywalk from the hotel to the South Coast Plaza (a huge mall) or from the mall to other major stores (Old Navy, Marshall's, Best Buy, DSW shoes) and cinemas located a block behind the mall near the freeway. Other major stores are 1-2 blocks away (TJ Maxx, Ross, Target).

Breakfast in the hotel was just ok (I think they can improve selections) but lunch was great. I also tried Mastro's across the street (I believe they have another Mastro's in SoCal...you would not want to miss dining here), a steakhouse but their seafood and sushi menu ir from out of this world, not to mention the wine list. Had a nice dinner in a next door Italian restaurant which had wonderful pizza although can't remember the name.

Overall a great place that I hope to visit again!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lupilove04
Dear lupilove04,
Our location is truly convenient and our guests tell us frequently that they can reach their potential when staying because they have all their needs at their fingertips. Thank you for your feedback regarding to your breakfast experience.
Claymont, Delaware
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We were here in 2010 for a conference and again, recently. I gave a tepid review then and I still see some of the same problems.
Primarily, I feel nickeled and dimed while I am there. Everything costs. Internet, 11.95 a day and the signal was weak and kept shutting off. Very frustrating. Self park in a ramp that is not particularly convenient, $20 a day. Even a charge for local calls...not that one would use that with cell phones, but still. Once again, I had to ask for toiletries refills and coffee refills, even staying there 4 nights! And, get rid of the silly fridge filled with over-priced items and just put in a fridge where we can store some beverages. Filling up the silly can with ice to put a few sodas and juices got old, fast. The doors slam unless held by hand not to. And the blower in the cooling unit, even at low, was very loud.
On the up-side, the rooms are large, the views are fine, the bed and bedding are sumptuously comfortable. The front desk people were friendly and helpful, as were the doormen. In particular, the maid on the 10th floor was nice and accommodating.
Several people have mentioned that the rooms need to be renovated. Our room had a few rough-around-the-edges places with some worn furniture and broken tile in bathroom, but all in all gave a good impression.
The location of the hotel can't be beat near the huge mall, many restaurants and arts center all within walking distance.
If I was not having to stay here for a conference, I would probably not book it myself. It is not terrible, just average, with things they could easily fix.
One last thing....take out the silly signs in the shower that offer the "Heavely Shower" experience but have to be politically correct by saying it has been turned off to conserve resources. Mine was not turned off and I used it the whole time.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevator and ice machines.
3 Thank Splanky
Dear Splanky,
We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. I am glad to hear that when you interacted with our staff you felt they were friendly and accommodating. It is clear from your comments that we have some opportunities when meeting your expectations. I hope that we can meet your needs on your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Mesa
Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to The Westin South Coast Plaza? Share your experiences!