“A pleasant change from previous years”

Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 May 2011

The hotel has recently gone through a remodeling adding a fresh modern appearance with excellent staff, service and acommodations. The restaurant has a new menu with suberb selections and stands out above most other restaurants in the area for breakfast and dinner.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank WoodlandHillsCandy
There are newer reviews for Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel

Reviewed 10 April 2011

I booked the Wyndham because it was half the price of the Westin next door. Both are in a great location for access to the Performing Arts Center and South Coast Plaza shopping center. I don't know for sure, but I bet the Westin has hot water and that the A/C works over there.

I called the front desk to inform them about the lack of hot water. Their remedy was "just let the water run longer."

The room was a stuffy 74 degrees and the HVAC system would only blow warm air into the room and it was really noisy. Fortunately, the window opened, so we could cool the room down and luckily there wasn't much outdoor noise.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
MrFitzgerald, Manager at Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2011

I would like to sincerely apologize for the problems and difficulties you experienced during your stay. There are no words to express how upset I was to hear your hotel experience was so poor. Please rest assured your feed back will be addressed in our next staff meeting and that this type of experience is not our standard. I would like to invite you back so you can enjoy the hotel and see that this is an isolated incident. Corrections have been made and I would like to emphasize how important your input isto the entire team at Wyndham . Please contact me directly if you wish to give us another opportunity to serve you.
Nathan Fitzgerald
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 9 April 2011

Stayed five nights. Very nice hotel and surroundings, across the street from the South Coast Repertory. Near some great restaurants. Easy parking. Check-in was easy. Was given a lovely room on the fourth floor overlooking the lake. Clean room, two beds, spacious living quarters. Bathroom was nice. Loved the non-slip flooring in the bathroom. However, the shower curtain blocked the light into the shower, making it feel like I was showering in the dark. Every time I walked through the lobby, was greeted with a nice hello from staff. On my second night, I received a nice little gift basket from the hotel management, which I thought was a very nice touch. It included restaurant discounts, local information and a luggage tag. Not a great gift, but a wonderful thought and shows management wants your business by doing the little things. Maid services were excellent. Will definitely be back at this hotel if the need arises for me to stay in Costa Mesa again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake.
Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Raminator
Reviewed 6 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Wyndham from March 28th through the 1st of April. From the moment we arrived the staff was super friendly and helpful. After promptly being checked in, we were in our room. The room was very clean and quiet! Hardwood floors were everywhere except the restroom area, which I really liked because carpets hides many unwanted "things."

The bed was very comfortable and I slept great the whole trip. The bathroom was very nice and clean. The water took a little while to get really hot but that was not bad at all. I am extreme with my hot water. The hotel tries to save energy and seems environmental friendly, so I respect that.

The breakfast food in the lobby area was- to die! Yum! They were so warm and delicious. It reminded me of our New Orleans crescents drizzled with honey. Keep in mind that they are not free and you will not be disappointed.

The hotel was in a fabulous location. You are within walking distance from great shopping, dining, and culture.

There were not many small children running around the hotel. Actually, there was only 1 child we saw the whole trip! That was actually really great! Gives adults a place to chill and exhale awhile.

To address some of the reviewers previously: If you come to California expecting things free and complimentary, you will be disappointed anywhere you go.

Thank you to the beautiful ladies working the front desk. You all were so nice and helpful! We will be back!

♥ - Mandy Q.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank aquebede
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Wonderful updated classy rooms with great customer service at a perfect advance purchase rate.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LHeiple
Reviewed 31 March 2011

I wanted to pamper myself with a music getaway -- 3 concerts in 3 days at the OC Arts Center, and online I could tell the Wyndham was very close and had amenities I would want: room service, on-site and nearby restaurants, bar, and hopefully an updated room. The reviews here indicated the hotel was being remodeled, and that can be a mixed blessing. Plus the listed price seemed a bit high. By contacting Wyndham directly and joining the frequent traveler club, I got a great deal and I asked specifically for an updated disability-friendly room with a balcony.

Checking in was a breeze, very nice desk service and I was offered several options. The room was spa-like: spick and span, light, roomy, airy, large balcony, huge bath and a fountain directly under my window. The splashing noise might annoy some, but I found it restful white noise and heard nothing from other rooms. During my stay, the staff was extremely helpful with my bags, a housekeeper passing in the hall helped me with the coffeemaker, the lobby bartender remembered that I was coming back from a concert right near closing and had my order ready, room service was prompt (tho I had some issues with some of the food) and the desk answered all questions cheerfully and with great suggestions for other dining and driving directions.

Food: I expect room service to be pricey, and some dishes (hanger steak!!!) were worth it, some just average (salmon) and some was just awful. The "wild mushroom soup" featured 3 or 4 slices of a rubbery mystery mushroom floating in flavorless dishwater. I was told the restaurant and menu was going to be re-worked: keep the hanger steak, lose the soup!

The room furniture is fine, not fabulous, but functional and I appreciated how much space was given for disability issues -- I am not in a wheelchair, but my walker was easily accommodated. The balcony was wide enough to be useful and enjoyable. My only complaint with the room was that the only closet hanger bar was about 2 1/2 feet off the ground, reasonable for the wheelchair bound, but a higher option for those who CAN stand and are hanging pants or long dresses would have been nice (I used the shower rod, no big deal).

If you are going to the Arts Center (my first time in Orange County) you can't ask for more convenience. The theaters and concert halls are practically in the lobby. Cross the street and a courtyard, and you're there. With the discount I received, I felt this was a great value, but I don't know if I'd pay full pop 3 nights in a row.

Well worth it, overall, and I hope to treat myself again to good music and lodging again soon.

Room Tip: Call direct & join the frequent traveler club.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank fragileindustries
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I had never stayed at a Wyndam hotel before. I was going to see the play "Wicked" and needed to be near the Costa Mesa Center for Performing Arts. The Wyndam had a very reasonable rate so I decided to try the hotel. We loved it!! The rooms had hardwood floors and were beautiful decorated. The shower was very large. The location is pretty and peaceful. There was a lake and walking path behind our room. The staff could not be nicer and more attentive. The location for us was excellent!! Right next to the Performing Arts Center and very close to South Coast Plaza. The restaurant on premise called "The Silver Trumpet" was very good and had some of the best service that I have had in a restaurant in a very long time. The Maitre'D noticed that I had black slacks on and went to find a black napkin, so I would not get white lint all over me. That is service!!! Good food at reasonable prices. The only negative I would say is that there is no valet parking and you need to self park in the covered lot. It is not that big a deal, though since my Mom could not walk alot, I had to go get the car and then drive to the front of the hotel which was crowded sometimes. Other than that, I look forward to staying at the hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Hilton Orange County / Costa Mesa
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#11 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel? Share your experiences!