“great stay at the wyndham”

Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersGold level
California
“great stay at the wyndham”
Reviewed 8 June 2007

I frequently stay at the wyndham for a business. The rooms were fresh and cleen. they charge $14 for parking which is average for the area and the rates are still better than marriott, westin and hilton. its perfect if your in the area for business or shopping! The breakfast is amazing! fresh cooked belgin waffels and omlets... you definatly get your monies worth! Internet is free for ByReqest memebers not to mention getting the welome snack and beverage every time I stay. the wyndham is my choice hotel when i'm in the area!

• Liked — close to businesses, shopping and the beach
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Sweden
Reviewed 18 April 2007

We checked in late (very late) and were met by a totally incompetent desk clerk whose response to everything was I don't know about that maam. We showed him our confirmation, rate details, etc. and he refused to read the sheet of paper we showed him. His response was again, "I don't know about that Maaam".

We were allocated a room. Charged 12 dollars for parking and just decided to make the best of it.

When we got to the room we had the shock of our lives, it was nothing like the website pictures. There was mould in the bathroom (not just in one location), a disgusting brown runny stain near the toilet and some other liquid stain near the bathtub. The paint was coming off the walls in the bathroom and there were dirt rings next to the sink.

The room itself needed a major deep clean, it was just grimy everywhere but the icing on the cake was when we moved the bedside cabinet to find a power socket. Worm looking insect on the wall, grimy carpet that hadn't been cleaned for god knows how long and maggots, YES MAGGOTS! on the carpet where the bedside cabinet once was.

We could have had a cleaner room for 1/3 of the price and stayed at a motel 6. All I can say is, we checked out that morning and the morning desk clerk offered us a refund without me having to ask or argue. Could it be that they have this problem on a regular basis? Our advice, STAY CLEAR OF THIS PLACE there are plenty of hotels in the area offering better value for money and a better standard to their rooms.

The Wyndham needs a remodel and a cleaning crew!!!!

• Liked — Good location
  • Disliked — Dirty, grimy, filthy, staff that had no clue!
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Larsson70
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 15 March 2007

I regularly travel into this area. I have stayed several times at the following hotels nearby Embassy Suites Irvine, the Hyatt, Marriott Courtyard, Marriott Residence Inn, Westin South Coast Plaza, Hilton Orange County, Wyndham Orange County, Crowne Plaza, and Holiday Inn Costa Mesa.I usually get these hotels on Priceline between 40-75 dollars a night on weekends.

The Wyndham was nicely decorated. Rooms were spacious and a cut above the decor of the other 3* hotels like Crowne Plaza + Embassy Suites. Exercise room had cardio and weight equipment. The hotel is very close to South Coast Plaza. Not as close as the Westin is... but it is still walkable.

The staff was ok -- does not go as far out of the way to be as pleasant as others in area. Parking fee was too high. Comparable Embassy Suites has no parking fee + free breakfast.

• Stayed March 2007
1 Thank bsiu718
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 17 February 2007

I often stay at this hotel due to nearby company location. This hotel is only minutes away from John Wayne airport and in the middle of Costa mesa. Good hotel with clean rooms and great service. The only thing that I have noticed since the begining of 2007 is that you are required to pay $14.95 per night for parking. In addition, room rates are higher this year, so I might be looking for hotels in the Irvine area. In all, this is a good hotel that has convinient shopping and many restaurants within a 10 minute walk

• Liked — Clean and excellent location
  • Disliked — higher 2007 room prices and parking fees
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank Dansladen
San Diego, California
Reviewed 13 February 2007

I booked a night for executive suites in this hotel. In the hotel website it says hotel guests can go to "The Spa" (a private spa) during the hotel stay to access their amenities, like indoor sea water pool and sauna. However, after we arrived the hotel, the staff did not mention anything about it, and when we got inside the room, all we saw was the promotion of doing expensive facials in The Spa rather than the previliages of using their facilities as a hotel guest. On the internet it also says there is internet, and we found out we need to pay a fee for it.
In terms of the hotel room, since we booked a suite, it's a nice suites with a separate small living and dinning area, in addition to the bedroom. there is a door leading to the bedroom, and separate tv's for both area. there are also 2 ropes that we can use during the stay. the hotel has 'okay' amenities - the typical pool and spa. the pool is quite small, and even though it claimed to be an outdoor heated pool, the water was pretty cold. the spa was good, but more-than-usual amount of chlorine was added to the pool and spa (tell by the strong odor, and after swimming and sitting in the hot tub, while I was washing my swim suit by soaking in the sink, the water in the sink turned to yellowish liquid (Chlorine!) after I soaked it for a few hours).
The inside of the room is quite old - tiles in the bathroom with stains in the grouts in between the tiles.... internet has to charge a fee for usage (while it's free in a lot of Hilton brand hotels). The furnitures are kind of outdated, you can tell the age of this hotel... I bet with some renovations this hotel will be much better. The bed is comfortable with down comforter, so that's a plus.
When we tried to check out thru the TV, the account was locked up. We called the front desk to check out, and the lady (Jessica) said we had to come down to get the invoice. However, after we got down there, she said our account had some problems that her manager had to check on it, and he went to the airport......... huh? We asked if the final charge would be same as the estimated charge we received in the preliminary invoice, then she said no..... but don't know the final amount... and that's called "Check out?" She said she would email me the invoice, but it's a couple days after the incident and we never received anything from her. I think the hotel staff needs better training.

• Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank whimsical_sd
Riverside, CA
Reviewed 5 February 2007

Have you heard of "bait and switch"? Well, the Wyndham redefines the term to a whole new level.

We booked last minute on the Wyndham website. Got a good price.

When we arrived the place was empty. Maybe 20 cars in the lot on a Saturday night. We checked in quickly and went to the room on the first floor. I did request a room on the upper floor at the time of reservation. Also, I'm a Wyndham ByRequest member, but I guess that doesn't help any preferences. The television would not turn so you could watch it in bed. The sofa and chair needed cleaning.

We were given a parking pass for the car, but never told of any charge. Early the next morning, we got our bill and was surprised that they charged us $14 for parking and changed our room rate to add another $10.

I discussed the matter at the front desk. When they were about to say they couldn't do anything, I had to get a bit tough. Finally, they agreed to remove the parking charge and adjust my room rate to the one quoted by Wyndham corp.

While the room was adequate and location pretty good, I would stay elsewhere in the future. The idea that they attempted to increase the room rate and charge for parking that was not disclosed up front makes a very uncomfortable stay.
There are plenty of hotels in the immediate area, so try elsewhere.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — They changed rates and charged for parking.
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank whodking
Las Vegas
Reviewed 1 February 2007

I stayed at this Wyndham in September as part of a wedding that was being hosted here. The rooms were excellent; who can complain about DOWN COMFORTERS that you dont want to get out of? The rooms were clean, spacious, and had all the amenities that you need. People are complaining about the energy saving procedures, but it states the way it works at the front desk! The breakfast buffet in the morning is very good and the service all around was amazing! The only thing that is bogus is the 15/ day parking and there was a lot of construction going on out in the streets. I, however, was picked up at the airport by the hotel and had no problems. Great hotel and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends
#8 of 23 in Costa Mesa
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#9 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel? Share your experiences!