“Nice staff, Horribly smelling rooms”

Ramada Costa Mesa/Newport Beach
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
sacramento
“Nice staff, Horribly smelling rooms”
Reviewed 18 November 2010

We came to Newport Beach for a wedding. The itenerary listed this hotel as an alternative, inexpensive option to the Marriott in Newport. We checked in late, got to the first room and had to leave immediately. It smelled extremely musty. I have moderate asthma and experienced immediate problems. Went down to the front desk, they were very nice, gave me a key to another room a few doors down. We moved into that room, a little better , but still very musty and moldy smelling. After about 15 min, I was having problems breathing. Went down and told them of the problem, they said they would refund our $, and were very apologetic. Nice people doesnt outweigh the bad rooms!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Milford, Michigan
Reviewed 23 September 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding. When booking the trip I had to call three times in order for my reservation to be correct. On the third time calling I was apologized to and offered a free upgrade to a suite. I accepted the offer. Upon arriving my rate for the suite was full price. However, other family members attending the same wedding were upgraded to a suite, last minute, and were given the lower rate. I inquired as to getting the extra amount deducted and was told that without the name of the person who told me that, I was out of luck. When I returned home I found my paperwork, with the name of the individual who offered me the upgrade and called to speak to the manager. He is very hard to get ahold of. I left a message with him indicating the issue and have yet to hear back from him (almost a month). Each time I call he is not in.
In addition, our room keys stopped working multiple times during our 2 day stay. We also ate at the restaurant and received some of our food after all other items were eaten and then were charged twice for it. Service was terrible, food was lukewarm. They only have 1 waitress for the entire restaurant. They do have some people who bus tables, but they do not speak English - only enough to say the waitress had to help us.
Avoid this hotel!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Rooms well cleaned, but a bit musty on first entrance. Swimming pool should be no smoking area. swimming pool area is secure with key access only. Needs to be closed earlier than 11pm as it can get noisy. Jacuzzi needs more cleaning. service is good. Foyer and entrance area is smart and clean. Next to a very good Growers Direct store for cheaper fruit and veg. Dennys close by is good.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 19 July 2010

The only reason I stayed here was because I got it through Hotwire. Last time I stayed here they took an extra deposit off my credit card that took a week for them to reimburse. I've stayed in other Ramadas that cared more for the up keep of their place. The on site restaurant staff was the best part of this stay. The pillows were lumpy, the blankets had cigarette burns. The bathroom was okay but the room smelled stale.
It was very difficult to get in and out of the parking lot since it was on a very busy street and a right turn was the only way in. The neighborhood is not comfortable - they had cops out one night with guns for a disturbance. Not sure what that was about, but it did not make us feel safe. Very disappointing.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 26 June 2010

I was looking for a clean hotel with the lowest price. Costa Mesa Ramada is it. Huntington Beach was my destination and this hotel was plenty close. I stayed at a hotel in Long Beach and one in Huntington Beach. Both cost more and our family all agreed that neither were as good as this Ramada by far and the kids wanted to go back to the Ramada too. The next time it will be just Ramada Suites Newport. I think I would have to pay three times as much to get a nicer hotel than this one. I noticed a worker cleaning the carpet in one of the rooms. This is a sign that carpets are cleaned regulary and the lack of bad oder in the room we stayed in seemed to indicate good maintenance. I was amazed at how clean the parking lot and grounds were. This is the first hotel I felt motivated to write a review for. I recomend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Exactly what you expect in a Ramada/Holiday Inn/Quality Inn class motel.

Short drive to Newport Pier, 10 min. drive to Orange County Airport, free airport shuttle, free wifi, free parking. Hotel breakfast is pricey, adjacent Denny's might be a better deal. Taco Bell one block away.

On day of stay (Feb 2010), we advanced purchased the room at EasyClickTravel for $56 (found through kayak.com).

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
RamadaCostaMesaMgr, Manager at Ramada Costa Mesa/Newport Beach, responded to this review, 21 June 2010
Thanks for your great comments. I would like to add that we offer great specials for our guests for breakfast, drinks and dinner. Please get the specials at our front desk the next time you are in town. Look forward to seeing you in the future-Vince Andres, General Manager.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 May 2010

OMG!! What a nightmare!! Every time they cleaned out room, something else was missing. Like light bulbs?! Towels (not one)?! They would always be one item short of making a pot of coffee (and I love me coffee:). Restaurant hours are not honored and are completely random. Everything reeked (literally) of cheap motel. Everything is falling apart or broken...

The worst part was when I came back to the room at midnight and my key was shut off. Apparently a rookie at the front desk had forgot to have me initial a piece of paper, so they locked me out of my room. Huh? That's your notification system? Nice!!

Spencer, the manager on duty, didn't really seem to think any of this was out of the ordinary and couldn't think of anything that would help us feel even a little better. Wish I could give 0 stars.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Thanks for your comments. I strive for our hosekeeping to be consistent and these comments help us. In the future please contact a manager right away so we can make sure you are being taken care of. Our bar hours are now posted for consistency. If you are ever in the area again, please allow us another chance to impress you. I will take care of you personally-Vince Andres, General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Mesa
Best Western Plus Newport Beach Inn
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Ramada Costa Mesa/Newport Beach? Share your experiences!