“I expected more...”

Hamamori Restaurant and Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Hamamori Restaurant and Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 532 Restaurants in Costa Mesa
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Sunflower
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Nice decor, great service, clean restaurant, and well presented sushi...but it was of average quality. The food was good, but forgettable. I expected something more inventive and exciting in Orange county...this was not very creative.

1  Thank Flyrodtrouter

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I have been working in Manhattan last 23 years and have eaten lots of high quality Japanese there. Now, when I am in Orange County Hamamori is the one that I for sure go for its consistently high quality food including sushi and most other dishes. Sme of our favorites are special sushi with various sauces, buta kakuni(simmered pork) and spicy tuna pizza. Their udons are Not the best however since they are too salty.

2  Thank Bill H
Reviewed 13 March 2013

After a shopping trip to Sou Coast Plaza with my daughter-in-law, we met up with my other son who lives in the area, for dinner. I had been craving sushi so thought this would be a good choice. The restaurant looked lovely and clean and somewhat chic so I was ready for a good meal. Only it wasn't to be. The menu had a lot of sushi and roll choices but none of them stood out as a anything different. Without pictures, it was difficult to determine what exactly we were getting. We ended up with a platter of different choices because we figured we get something we'd like. It was just OK. The waitress was very helpful but she could only do so much and she was unable to really tell us what to expect. The rolls were small and the sushi nothing new. They did not offer any warm selections, only cold, which was disappointing. I harken back to Kai Sushi in Poway and their vast selection of warm and cold options with eel, lobster....I could go on. I guess for an afterwork lounge drink type of place this would be fine but, for me, it lacked good creative food.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Hamamori has some of the best sushi in Orange County.

Service is friendly and attentive. They have special Hamamori sushi dishes that have special flavoring... no soy is recommended. These dishes are excellent... must try! They also have traditional sushi and sashimi which are EXCELLENT. We also liked the appetizer dishes... Albacore with Maui onions, mushroom frites, asparagus, and spicy tuna pizza.

This restaurant is part of the South Coast Plaza shopping center.
The atmosphere is casual with modern clean architecture.

Highly recommend for anyone looking for a sushi fix

1  Thank Brad L
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Wow, that was a great dinner. Well prepared and presented, chef service was top notch. Try the Albacore "Tataki", it is mouthwatering.

1  Thank ChrisandHolli