“Great little hotel/resort.”
Review of Eden Resort

Eden Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oslob
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Having contacted the resort a few days earlier, my partner and I, having arrived on the Manila flight into Dumaguete, were duly met at Liloan port by an Eden driver (a very friendly one at that), dropped back at the resort for a few minutes (drop bags off etc) and then taken direct to the whale shark beach (no more than 10 mins away by road). Said driver waited for us while we swam with the whale sharks, and was even waiting for us with towels when we returned to the van. Seamless.

In respect to the hotel/resort, it’s a lovely quiet and peaceful resort consisting of 10 rooms.

Our room (No1 nearest to the pool) was a great size, spotlessly clean, well equipped, including a well-stocked mini bar, lovely double bed, fully functioning AC (and ceiling fan), loads of wardrobe/storage space, and a small but more than sufficient bathroom. Whilst not a deal breaker our water pressure was just ok, nothing special, but no problem. There was a good quality flat screen tv c/w with a good picture (a rarity in Philippine hotels) with a good selection of channels.

And like all the rooms it had a lovely balcony overlooking the bay with a few chairs and a table.

I think I'm right in saying the wifi should only have worked in the main restaurant/bar area, but we could also get access in our room/on the balcony which was handy.

The main hotel area consists of a beautiful infinity pool, with a bar and restaurant (some seats outside overlooking the pool, some inside overlooking the outdoor seated area and beyond), and provides an ideal area to chill and take in the view, either in or beside the pool.

We had a lunchtime snack and dinner the day we arrived, and both were lovely. They have a main menu (for dinner only I think) which works on a rolling basis, with several (5 or 6 from memory) different dishes available each night, and from first glance I was of the opinion there was something for everybody on each night. There was also a small choice of other standard dishes available every day.

As commented by a previous reviewer, if you're at the bar by 10pm you'll likely be the last one (apart from staff) but that's fairly normal for this part of the world, people come to parts of the Philippines like this to dive and chill, not party till 3am. As a result it was total tranquillity by 10pm, leading to a sensational night's sleep.

Breakfast was included in our room rate, and was cooked to order (usual choice of Filipino or American), and again was lovely.

There's a small walkway which leads down to the sea, and what is just a coral covered beach area, limited if any sand (maybe a different story at different times of day).

It was perfect for snorkelling, though as we were warned by one of the men working at the diving centre attached to the hotel (though you'd not know it unless you took said walk) the seabed closest to the hotel was a sprawling mass of sea urchins, so be careful where you stand! And in truth there wasn’t much else to see under the water from my experience. The resort has some kayaks available free of charge.

There is also a tennis court within the resort, which whilst having seen better days remains in pretty good condition. The resort has rackets and tennis balls free of charge.

We found all the staff to be friendly and helpful, which is all you can ask.

All in all I think it’s a great little resort. Ok it's not the type of place you'd come to for a long period of time, though in my opinion that has more to do with the area than the hotel (very little to do apart from the whalesharks, unless you're using it as a base for diving) but I think it's absolutely perfect for anyone passing through for a night or 2, and I'd have been happy staying longer.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Derbal

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We, 4 adults and a baby, stayed for 2 wonderful nights. The hotel and its facilities are excellent, the food delicious and the staff totally went out of their way to care for us. They were highly professional and immensly welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble, and we had so many little kindnesses from them, like making me a pot of coffee at 4.30 am when I couldnt resist getting up to watch the morning awaken from the terrace. The rooms are comfortable and spotless. Everything worked perfectly. I cannot praise the Eden Resort highly enough.

Room Tip: For anyone travelling with children, rooms 1 and 2 are convenient. But again, the staff will advise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sue R
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Eden Resort was very clean, the service was impeccable and our 2 night stay was extremely good value. The room, restaurant area, spa area and pool area was a little dated (by Western standards) however was very clean and tidy. Our room was amazing, great air-con, good furniture and every room has a beautiful view of the sea and a balcony.

The service was absolutely amazing as the staff were very friendly and were very happy to help with any request. The restaurant food was mostly excellent, we had quite a few dishes from the menu and found that the daily menu was not as good as the regular food. From memory the pizza and salads were fantastic.

I thought the 2 night stay was extremely good value so I would not hesitate to book Eden Resort again. (FYI it is very far from Cebu City, Google Maps suggested it was a 2 hr drive, however it is closer to a 4-5 hour drive from the airport.)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joneslangley
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

3 days at Eden Resort coming to a close. We came to see the whale sharks, who are amazing! Not to be missed! The resort is small and friendly.
The rooms are a good size & each have a sizable balcony overlooking the sea. Cable TV, mini bar & basic amenities.
Staff are helpful friendly & accommodating (as evidenced by their attempts to assist us getting into our ensuite when the lock was found to be stuck at 2am!)
Food is simple but good. There is nowhere else to eat so that was useful. But they kept us (6 including 4 teens!) satisfied.
Pool is lovely & all the kids needed to keep them amused during the day ... Well that & the free wifi in the public areas.
Certainly recommend to anyone looking for a quiet getaway.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Paulaking
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I agree with the majority of reviewers that this hotel is quite cute and very close the whale sharks experience. The rooms are large and nicely appointed, but the shower pressure was absolutely horrible. The restaurant is in the central area and has some seats outside with a full bar, the food was just ok...but we ate there most nights because it's the only decent place within a very wide radius. If we'd had other choices, we would've gone. The views are quite amazing from each of the balconies, the staff are nice but on constant "island time" so the service is slow. Overall, if you are in Oslob and want a decent place to stay, then yes this place is good. However, our situation was quite different and it was appalling to see how the Hotel handled a bad situation.

You will see that you can rent motorcycles on their list of activities aside from Whale Shark swimming. I was assuming they would be scooters, as scooters are quite common in the Philippines. They brought me a scooter and my husband a large dirtbike. When I saw how large the dirtbike was I said: "no way!! We both need scooters." Neither of us were great at riding bikes even though we had both ridden before, this was a new country and the roads unfamiliar. A scooter would have been much easier to handle… My apprehensiveness had no affect on the hotel staff at all. They actually just laughed as they handed us the forms to sign our rights away in case of an accident. We also hired one of the hotel staff van drivers to guide us along our ride, while he was super friendly and knew the routes and roads...he proved to be totally useless as well.
As you guessed it, we had an accident. My husband lost control of his dirtbike and was thrown from it. Luckily it wasn't as bad as it could have been. He stood up from his bike with shredded and bloody hands and knees and a dislocated shoulder. The guide just stood there and had absolutely no idea what to do, with a blank look on his face. I basically took control of the situation and told him to put my husband on the back of his bike (because I certainly couldn’t do it!) and take him to the nearest hospital (30 min away). Even once we got to the hospital I had to tell the driver exactly what to do (go back to the hotel, get the van, bring it back here, etc…) It took about 8 hours for this ordeal to end with X-rays and the cleaning of his wounds, etc…
What upset me most was how the hotel staff treated us when we returned. As I was nursing my husband back to health, carrying him (who is about 100 lbs heavier and 1 foot taller than me!!) from the restaurant to our room, or as he hobbled around the resort all bandaged up…not once did they come up to me (or him) and ask him how he was doing or if they could help us in any way. I had to constantly ask them for help or for special assistance as they couldn’t figure out we needed it on our own. They never even acknowledged he was in an accident even though they new very well what had happened. I was shocked as this accident happened on their motorcycles that we rented from their resort.
Our trip was basically ruined after that, no whale sharks for us on the second day because he was so sore from the accident, there was no way he could swim with a dislocated shoulder or being so bloody, we had to stay inside the rest of the trip while I tried to nurse all of his wounds back to health. I am not blaming the hotel at all for the accident. It was our own mistake and our own fault for taking our lives into our hands. I’m just shocked at the level of service (none!) and nonchalant attitude we received from the entire staff after something so life threatening happened to one of their guests.
So overall, if nothing happens to you on your trip and you stay safe and need minimal care…this hotel is just fine. But if an accident does happen, expect to figure out everything on your own and do not expect to received any sympathy or care at all from anyone at this hotel.

10  Thank WeHeartTravel_143
Dennis P, Owner at Eden Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experience in the Philippines and wish I could have done anything to make your stay less unpleasant.
But, I think you are unfair to my employees in your description of the situation.
First; Your husband was offered to rent a smaller bike. The staff has offered themselves to find a scooter for him to rent elsewhere. But, he decided he wanted to use the Honda XR200. He took a test ride on the resort, and said he was confident riding it. Being after smart knowing what happened, yes, the staff could have been more persistent and refused to let him rent it. But, you also have to put yourself in their situation. When a customer want something, it's hard for them to deny him getting his wish granted.
Second; You hired a guide to drive you around, that isn't an employee at Eden resort (we don't have a motorcycle guide). The person you hired, and paid yourself, is a driver we ourselves sometimes hire to drive our van when our own driver is of duty. But, he is not employed by Eden, or represent the company other then when we hire him to drive the van. That should have been clear when you paid him privately, and was not charged by Eden for his services.
Third; You claim the staff was rude and unconcerned about your husbands condition. When you were at the hospital the two persons you sent to get the van was asked how he was doing. They ensured he was fine. A bit bruised up but nothing serious. Your husband was himself asked the morning after during breakfast, and he ensured he was fine now, as he got the medical treatment he needed and medication.
When we were informed about the accident, we let the driver use the van, of course free of charge, to take you wherever you needed to go, and was ensured that the situation was under control.
I understand that you are bitter for a vacation ruined, but I think you are unfair to diss our loyal staff like you do, when the situation you created was out of their control and not related to the business you review.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

One of the best rooms we had during our traveling around Philippines islands. The location is very convenient if you rent a motorbike from the resort and they give you a very good price.

The stuff is very nice but a little bit lazy as I guess most the Filipinos. The infinity pool offers you a great view and location of the resort is great as well - just at the beach.

I can also recommend their spa the lady working there is very good and the price for anything she offers is great! Meal at the restaurant is rather expensive but not over the top.

One of the best stays we had during our traveling.

4  Thank Nikitop
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed here as 2 couples for 6 nights in April - we booked predominantly as it was well situated for the whalesharks at Oslob, diving Sumilon & Apo Islands (with Easy Diving - see separate review), but were very impressed with the small 10 room hotel, & will definately return here if we go back to Southern Cebu

We stayed in room 10, which is the furthest from the pool & restaurant / bar area, nice & quiet & still only a minute's walk to the pool. Our friends were in room 7

Menu is varied, sometimes service is a bit "hit & miss" - we had both couple's main couses being brought to the table 20 minutes apart on the first couple of nights, but after this we just mentioned that we'd like them brought at the same time & it wasn't a problem again. Local dishes tended to be better than international

The infinity pool is lovely, just could do with a couple more sunbeds

Its an early night here which didn't bother us as we were up early for diving, but we were quite often the last to leave the bar at 10:00pm!

There are a few small shacks within a couple of minute's walk & the small town of Santander 5 - 10 minutes down the hill

Room Tip: Room 1 nearest the pool & restauarant - room 10 furthest away
3  Thank Jason_and_Suzanne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oslob
The Blue Orchid Resort
Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino
Marco Polo Plaza Cebu
Marco Polo Plaza Cebu
#2 of 92 in Cebu City

Been to Eden Resort? Share your experiences!